Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:30 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sorry GSU. You've been so fixated and frustrated by wanting to be just an "urban university" that you failed to see the "big picture" and as a result other schools just blew past you.
I'm not sure why this is being treated as a giant p issing contest.

I think that the merger makes sense. As for GSU, they are an urban university. It's not about "trying" to be one. It's just what they are. Their focus, I hope is simply being great what their offerings are and improve where needed, like any other university including Kennesaw State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 10:12 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I'm not sure why this is being treated as a giant p issing contest.

I think that the merger makes sense. As for GSU, they are an urban university. It's not about "trying" to be one. It's just what they are. Their focus, I hope is simply being great what their offerings are and improve where needed, like any other university including Kennesaw State.
I agree. The merger does make sense. But these sorts of things have consequences and for GSU, it is negative.

And no, I said "wanting to be just an urban university". Nothing about "trying". In other words, limiting themselves to what they can do in downtown. If a school's focus is just being good in what they offer and improve where needed, they have limited aspirations. A small college of limited means thinks like that. UGA and Tech certainly don't think like that.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:27 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
I don't think it's that simple. These are not twin schools in two different areas (KSU and GSU) Each have programs that might appeal to prospective students and both are still largely commuter schools. KSU is too remote for Gwinnett folks for example. It's just not a simple zero sum game.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I don't think it's that simple. These are not twin schools in two different areas (KSU and GSU) Each have programs that might appeal to prospective students and both are still largely commuter schools. KSU is too remote for Gwinnett folks for example. It's just not a simple zero sum game.
Both are in the process of transitioning to more traditional type colleges with dorms. And even students that can't get into a dorm will seek out apartments. And GSU has added football and KSU is adding football. It's not simple zero sum but they are in competition none the less. Good students, good professors, and money are in limited supply. I work in academia and I assure you there is competition to attract the best as well as donations. Really, having both KSU and GSU is preventing the emergence of a 3rd major state university. Even Georgia Southern is hoping to be UGA "2".

But, if this merger settles it with KSU the dominate school, maybe it's for the best. I always felt that Atlanta needed a large comprehensive liberal arts state school in Atlanta and GSU was the best candidate, but it wanted it on their own terms. That sent many people to KSU as a result.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:30 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Guys, this is the SPSU/KSU disaster threat not the GSU thread! GSU is COMPLETELY unreleated to this! Can we please focus on the tragedy at hand and leave out another school, in another area?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Guys, this is the SPSU/KSU disaster threat not the GSU thread! GSU is COMPLETELY unreleated to this! Can we please focus on the tragedy at hand and leave out another school, in another area?
I can appreciate that the SPSU alumni are upset by this. I suppose KSU can offer replacement diplomas but it would be a hollow gesture. The last hurdle to consolidation, SACS, will be a small one I'm afraid.

But this also dramatically strengthens KSU's position, and that will affect school choice in the Atlanta market. When GSU wanted a Law school, UGA opposed it. When UGA wanted Engineering, Tech opposed it, and if anyone wants Pharmacy, you can be sure UGA will oppose it. This merger though won't affect either GT or UGA.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:59 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Don't like this. The only benefit I can see out of this is that it strengthen KSU's portfolio. Not seeing any benefit to SPSU students.

I hate that everything consolidates nowadays.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:53 PM

We just have to resign ourselves to this merger. Just as expanding and strengthening UGA's programs was seen as important for the state, I also think the same should have been done to its other research university GSU.

But as one of the largest and possibly eventually the largest university in the state, KSU probably should have a more expansive name. Since it is a liberal Arts university and to acknowledge it large engineering component, they should change their name to Georgia Arts & Mechanical.

New Name: Georgia A&M

And there was some talk about replacing their mascot the Owl, so why not another olive branch gesture to SPSU's alumni?

Mascot: Hornets

The athletic conference landscape seems to have settled for now but I think KSU is ripe for the picking. It has on campus facilities, large school enrollment so funding is good. UNC Charlotte's invitation to CUSA was a surprise given it had no football team yet, so KSU might get a call.

Football: Move to FBS

KSU should reach out to John Marshall Law School for a potential merger. KSU can keep its name as the John Marshall College of Law. John Marshall is fully accredited beyond practicing law in the state only so such a merger should be seamless.

New College: Try to merge with John Marshall Law

After that, KSU only needs a college of medicine to be complete.

I think over the next 10 years, we'll see phenomenal growth at KSU and the BOR might have to eventually grant them Research University status.

As for GSU, they probably should devise a Plan B. To maintain enrollment levels, they'll have to lower their standards so their academically quality will drop. They'll probably have to scale back athletics and drop football as it won't be able to compete in the market.

Georgia Southern might suffer too as they rely on the Atlanta market for students, and to prospective students, KSU will be attainable, offer a traditional college experience, and look a lot better academically.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:35 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
I like Georgia A&M.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:19 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,372,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I like Georgia A&M.
The title A&M would be very misleading for a university that does not have an agriculture school. It would be a poor choice as a name for KSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta