Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 07:23 AM

59 posts, read 121,713 times

Advertisements

In the light of a possible relocation due to a job opportunity, we may move back to Atlanta but this time around, I would like to have a different experience if it were to really happen. Last time we lived down south, it was in Smyrna. Although it was nice and all, I kind of hate the suburbs. Upon a recent visit, I really liked the Virginia Highland area and Piedmont Park. Now my question is: What is an area close by where we could afford to rent a house instead of an apt or condo. Coming from NY, we are really tired of apt living and would like to be in a house once again, plus I need to be able to practice drums. Our budget max would probably around $1400 a month, any suggestions, anybody?

We are in in our early 30's with one child so a family oriented area with a park or playground nearby would be a plus.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 07:24 PM

Anybody?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
What about Candler Park or Oakhurst or Kirkwood? You can probably find something, not luxurious but decent, in those areas.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:14 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,723 times
I did a quick search on the MLS (used Inman Middle School as the criteria as well as 2 bdrm min, detatched, and max $1400/mo) - came up with 17 listings.... that's not counting Piedmont Park....

Rentals are very active around here these days!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:00 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
Hey Peach, maybe throw up the MLS link for Bonnie?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:47 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
What about Candler Park or Oakhurst or Kirkwood? You can probably find something, not luxurious but decent, in those areas.
These areas are definitely more affordable than Va-Hi and Midtown, where you will have difficulty finding a rental home under $2k/month. We recently relocated from the boonies to ATL with similar criteria, and ended up (happily) in Kirkwood. Oakhurst in particular is very family-friendly, but the rental market there is really competitive, so if you find something you like there, I recommend jumping on it right away.

Where will you be working? Commute is a really important consideration when deciding where to look.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
These areas are definitely more affordable than Va-Hi and Midtown, where you will have difficulty finding a rental home under $2k/month. We recently relocated from the boonies to ATL with similar criteria, and ended up (happily) in Kirkwood. Oakhurst in particular is very family-friendly, but the rental market there is really competitive, so if you find something you like there, I recommend jumping on it right away.

Where will you be working? Commute is a really important consideration when deciding where to look.
Thanks for your replies everyone. Which sites are most popular for rentals? I don't really trust CL. The business I'm in is strictly mobile. I will be working all over Atlanta, anywhere from Marietta to Jonesboro, which is why I like being sort of central and am looking for that neighborhood feel.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:55 PM

285 posts, read 876,563 times
Medlock Park and Druid Hills might be worth looking into also.

I've been either renting or finding rentals on craigslist for the last 6 years... As long as you're looking for houses in these specific neighborhoods you should be fine.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:24 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
I also moved to Kirkwood and enjoy it. There are 4 parks in the neighborhood. A quaint downtown business district. Everyone is very involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta