Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:52 AM

876 posts, read 2,277,970 times

Advertisements

Tolls are here to stay and elsewhere, true, but poor design, such as this new HOT lane does annoy me as well. What is in place definitely needs a lot of fine-tuning; I think the whole setup is still very confusing for the many visitors who use I-85 and still for locals as well.
At least they lowered the rush-hour one-way rate to around $1.75 vs. $5.00 they charged during the first week for the HOT.

In case some of you are not aware, South Carolina does have one toll road (I-185) near Greenville that I am aware about, but overall, the North and parts of the Midwest have many more toll roads than the South currently has. With the population boom that has been going in the sunbelt states, the toll roads are expanding with that growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 10:58 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
Tolls are here to stay and elsewhere, true, but poor design, such as this new HOT lane does annoy me as well. What is in place definitely needs a lot of fine-tuning; I think the whole setup is still very confusing for the many visitors who use I-85 and still for locals as well.
At least they lowered the rush-hour one-way rate to around $1.75 vs. $5.00 they charged during the first week for the HOT.

In case some of you are not aware, South Carolina does have one toll road (I-185) near Greenville that I am aware about, but overall, the North and parts of the Midwest have many more toll roads than the South currently has. With the population boom that has been going in the sunbelt states, the toll roads are expanding with that growth.
The number of lanes have been about the same for the last 10+ years in Atlanta. They never complained about needing money for the roads years ago

Old 11-12-2011, 11:34 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
The number of lanes have been about the same for the last 10+ years in Atlanta. They never complained about needing money for the roads years ago
So the number of lanes has remained the same while the population has greatly increased, and people complain now when they didn't in the past. Go figure!

Old 11-12-2011, 12:04 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
So the number of lanes has remained the same while the population has greatly increased, and people complain now when they didn't in the past. Go figure!
I'm just saying. The tolls aren't here to help traffic. They are here so the state can gey some additional dollars because its not like 100% of the profits are to transportation. Not even half of the profits are going to transportation. You see how many studies it takes for our gov to decide on heavy rail but there was no 5+ year study on the hot lanes. They can put hot lanes on every road in atl as long as they add another lane

Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Quote:
the North and parts of the Midwest have many more toll roads than the South currently has
Florida has a large number of toll roads, but then again its not a TRUE southern state.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,428 times
So the AJC had a huge article today saying these new toll projects are the biggest contract that will be rewarded and basically the data doesn't show people saving that much time. It is simply a way to raise more money and tax more people and make the middle class miserable.

GA needs to stand up and say HELL NO to these tolls. Tolls are not going to help the transportation/traffic problems.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:42 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,424,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Get used to tolls. The ever increasing fuel mileage means decreasing road funds and tolls are the only way to make the users of the highways pay for the maintenance of the road.

If you are insinuating that the demand for gas is going to go down, well, that is very, very interesting.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:24 AM

178 posts, read 528,379 times
Where can you find or can you find out how much money is generated by the Hot Lane tolls and the 400 toll?

Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Quote:
If you are insinuating that the demand for gas is going to go down, well, that is very, very interesting.
No, increasing fuel mileage on vehicles will decrease the times people fill-up. But fuel demand will continue to increase and result to a flat increase in fuel tax, but the roads will continue to get used and deteriorate.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 AM

810 posts, read 3,305,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike929 View Post
Where can you find or can you find out how much money is generated by the Hot Lane tolls and the 400 toll?
I do not know how much the HOT tolls bring in, but the 400 tolls brings in an average of $59,000 per weekday.

GA 400 | Programs & Studies | State Road and Tollway Authority

Last edited by mich2fla; 11-16-2011 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta