Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:14 AM

74 posts, read 189,714 times

Advertisements

I concur withthe suggestion for a Megabus route to Savannah. I wish their Jacksonville route would make Sav a stop and then just go down I95 with a stop in Brunswick to give the beaches some access. I am retired and suffer from mobility issues and cant drive anymore. I would love to have some travel options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 06:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,908,213 times
We need a better national rail system. With gas prices rapidly rising, travel will be effected. With a national rail network, Atlanta could become the hub of the southeast, as it once was, with trains departing in all direction many times a day.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,317,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Why bother? Delta can fly you there in about an hour.
And by the time you drive (or take MARTA) to the airport, wait around for your flight, fly, deplane, etc. you could have driven there in less time.

If there was a train to Savannah I'd probably go down there three times a year. As it is, I only go there once every three or four years.

That's real money sitting on the table that nobody seems to want.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,355,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
And by the time you drive (or take MARTA) to the airport, wait around for your flight, fly, deplane, etc. you could have driven there in less time.

If there was a train to Savannah I'd probably go down there three times a year. As it is, I only go there once every three or four years.

How many daily riders do you think would ride the route and how much would taxpayers have to subsidize that route? Heck, the Orlando commuter rail route expects to bring in only about 25% of their operating expenses from ticket revenue. I can't imagine that a train to Savannah would even come close to that figure given that the ridership would likely be low.

There are other solutions in place. Greyhound runs to Savannah and with just one weeks notice, I found a round trip fare for $54. While not the fastest method at 4 hours and 30 minutes, it is an existing economical alternative to flying.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
How many daily riders do you think would ride the route and how much would taxpayers have to subsidize that route? Heck, the Orlando commuter rail route expects to bring in only about 25% of their operating expenses from ticket revenue. I can't imagine that a train to Savannah would even come close to that figure given that the ridership would likely be low.

There are other solutions in place. Greyhound runs to Savannah and with just one weeks notice, I found a round trip fare for $54. While not the fastest method at 4 hours and 30 minutes, it is an existing economical alternative to flying.
I don't know, nor do I care. We also subsidize highways and roadways all over the state and country. The cvast majority of which I will never, ever use. It's a fact I don't let bother me. Eventually cars and busses are going to be a horrible option. I'd rather prepare now than wake up in 30 years regretting that we all stood around scratching our asses when we could have been preparing for the furutre we ALL knew was coming.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,355,362 times
Quote:
I don't know, nor do I care. We also subsidize highways and roadways all over the state and country. The cvast majority of which I will never, ever use. It's a fact I don't let bother me. Eventually cars and busses are going to be a horrible option. I'd rather prepare now than wake up in 30 years regretting that we all stood around scratching our asses when we could have been preparing for the furutre we ALL knew was coming.
Good series of articles here which discuss the economics of high speed rail. While I haven't heard you advocate this as a high speed line, the economics on even a conventional train route are similar.

Running the Numbers on High-Speed Trains - NYTimes.com

Old 03-27-2012, 01:31 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,145,643 times
Quote:
Well, you'll have to drive or take MARTA to the train station. Wait for the train and board, ride the train possibly at an effective slower speed than a car, get off the train and have to find additional transport. Plus you'll have to worry about the train's departure times and they'll probably be few running. And the train's cost might make driving or even flying more attractive.

Quote:

Apparently Amtrak, CSX, and Norfolk Southern don't see it. Even Delta, Southwest, and Air Tran aren't making the most of this lucrative market

Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 PM

562 posts, read 1,129,143 times
Looking at the ATL - SAV route from an aviation POV, when considering the fact that one can drive from Atlanta to Savannah in 3.5 hours, flying really isn't feasible when considering the time and effort of going through security, the actual flight time, plus the fact that once you arrive in Savannah, you still have to arrange for ground transportation. When figuring all of that in, it's cheaper to hop in the vehicle for the 3.5 hour drive and call it a day.

From a rail POV, the only way that it would have a real opportunity to be successful, would be for it to be a high speed rail, on a dedicated track, capable of making the entire trip in a hour and forty five minutes, to two hour time span. Just merely putting a passenger train over existing freight lines isn't going to work. It would end up being a four to five hour trip, and again, one would be better off driving.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:11 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,962,158 times
Next time any of you are in Savannah, be sure and tour the historic Central of Georgia Roundhouse Railway Museum and the Ships of the Sea Museum (both on MLK BLVD) to learn all about the history of passenger train service and CRUISE SHIP service that used to operate out of Savannah. IT WILL MAKE YOU CRY TO SEE WHAT THIS STATE USED TO HAVE!!!

The Nancy Hanks ran daily passenger service between Atlanta and Savannah until 1971 -- in my lifetime! And the Savannah Steamship Company ran luxury passenger cruises up and down the east coast from the late 1800s until WWII broke out. Fascinating history, but very sad that we lost it.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:14 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Next time any of you are in Savannah, be sure and tour the historic Central of Georgia Roundhouse Railway Museum and the Ships of the Sea Museum (both on MLK BLVD) to learn all about the history of passenger train service and CRUISE SHIP service that used to operate out of Savannah. IT WILL MAKE YOU CRY TO SEE WHAT THIS STATE USED TO HAVE!!!

The Nancy Hanks ran daily passenger service between Atlanta and Savannah until 1971 -- in my lifetime! And the Savannah Steamship Company ran luxury passenger cruises up and down the east coast from the late 1800s until WWII broke out. Fascinating history, but very sad that we lost it.
This just shows that this state is moving backwards. Many here are content with that. They'd rather make life difficult for all of us well into the future rather than paying for needed infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta