Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 12:06 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Who's fault is that?

Observations are not meant to be explanations.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,245,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You can go to SCOTUS blog and check out the SC's current docket. It'll tell you what firms are involved and then you can look at their websites and check out the work they do. Williams & Connolly, for example, is probably DC's fiercest and best-reputed law firm. Their lawyers represented Bill Clinton during his impeachment scandal. Our current AG, Eric Holder, was a partner at Covington & Burling. Both firms only take the best of the best of the best.

SCOTUSblog

Williams & Connolly LLP

Covington & Burling LLP | Diversity | Leaders in Diversity

I'll try to find a source on the number of black women in Ph.D programs nationwide. But off the top of my head, I'd say it's probably around 2 right now, and one will quit within the year. The one who stays is likely Nigerian. Overall, I think fewer than 10 blacks receive Ph.Ds in Econ a year, and the bulk of those come here from Africa.

Thanks...I will read up on these...looks interesting..

Old 12-02-2011, 12:07 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
According to the Status of Metropolitan America study done by Brookings:

African Americans with degrees in metro Atlanta grew by 83% from 2000-2008! Compared to 40% for metro Atlanta overall. The growth rate for blacks holding a master's degree or more grew even more; by an astounding 125% from 2000-2008!

Metro Atlanta has the second highest number of African Americans holding degrees (275,000) after only New York (451,000), recently surpassing Washington, DC (250,000).

One in four (24%) metro Atlantans holding a degree is an African American, compared to 10% in metro New York and 15% in metro DC. Almost one out of ten African American adults hold at least a master's degree in metro Atlanta.

Lastly, 27% of African American adults hold at least a bachelors degree compared to 19% nationwide.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You obviously do not know much about Detroit's history.....which I would not expect. So do not discredit yourself by making such commentary.

It's So Cold in the D - YouTube

This is Detroits history

Old 12-02-2011, 12:12 PM

369 posts, read 657,517 times
Quote:
You obviously do not know much about Detroit's history.....which I would not expect. So do not discredit yourself by making such commentary.
Ya right, that's why Michigan had to roll back its corporate income tax several times over. Ya sure I don't know what I'm talking about.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:12 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You basically just ignore my post so here's a repost and a break down.

Again It's hard to compete with New York but Atlanta does well against Chicago, DC and etc. And you haven't disprove that.
I ignored your post because it was dumb. Had you read your own articles, you would have noticed that the black business ownership rate is higher in the District of Columbia than it is in Georgia. Besides, the article features a Cinnabon owner in the pictures. Big deal.

I suppose if you added up the JJ's Rib Shacks and Bronner Brothers of the ATL metro, then Atlanta would best DC. But is that something to really brag about?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:13 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
According to the Status of Metropolitan America study done by Brookings:

African Americans with degrees in metro Atlanta grew by 83% from 2000-2008! Compared to 40% for metro Atlanta overall. The growth rate for blacks holding a master's degree or more grew even more; by an astounding 125% from 2000-2008!

Metro Atlanta has the second highest number of African Americans holding degrees (275,000) after only New York (451,000), recently surpassing Washington, DC (250,000).

One in four (24%) metro Atlantans holding a degree is an African American, compared to 10% in metro New York and 15% in metro DC. Almost one out of ten African American adults hold at least a master's degree in metro Atlanta.

Lastly, 27% of African American adults hold at least a bachelors degree compared to 19% nationwide.

Ok....that is ONE end of the spectrum. How about goggling some poverty data, quality of school data.....and the like?

What those statistics tell me is that more educated people moved to Georgia than uneducated people. The question is, however, how conducive is Atlanta to improving the quality of life for those born and raised in the area.....via the educational system.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:14 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,245,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post

It's So Cold in the D - YouTube

This is Detroits history
...my bad...lol...That was funny...that was a refreshing laugh from an otherwise tense debate. But my man Dwele is from Detroit and he is live!...

Old 12-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Ok....that is ONE end of the spectrum. How about goggling some poverty data, quality of school data.....and the like?

What those statistics tell me is that more educated people moved to Georgia than uneducated people. The question is, however, how conducive is Atlanta to improving the quality of life for those born and raised in the area.....via the educational system.
I will answer that whenever Detroit has less.than 300 murders annually

Welcome to Detroit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6WKMNmFsxM&feature=fvsr

Old 12-02-2011, 12:23 PM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Have you ever lived in DC? There's a big difference between working as an AUSA in the Northern District of Georgia doing at best, qui tams, and working as an AUSA in D.C. where you're briefing far more novel and complex issues of Constitutional import. There's a big difference between having Delta Airlines as your largest client and having Goldman Sachs, A.I.G. and Blackrock as your largest clients. So yes, the jobs are far more "cutting edge." There are many more opportunities for blacks at the highest level of the game in Washington, DC. The same goes for New York City when it comes to finance.

A "federal government job" is not saying much. You could work as a ranger for the Park Service and be a federal employee. Not all federal jobs are created equal. Yes, there is the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, but the black guy (virtually no black women pursue Econ degrees post-grad) who busted his hump to earn his Ph.D. at Sloan is not going to Atlanta. He's going to Treasury or the Fed in DC or to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. You can't work in DOJ Federal Programs in Atlanta. Nor the SG's office. How many hedgefunds are in Atlanta compared to the New York and DC area?

So DC attracts much more talent than Atlanta, period. Unless you're talking about musicians, in which case, Atlanta wins hands down.
I've not lived in DC, but have visited quite often. While in some arenas, such as those directly related to DC being the seat of federal government, there are obviously going to be scales of difference involved, that hardly means that the two cities are "very different." To me, "very different" is Phoenix and Boston where the local economies, demographics, built environment, weather, etc. are practically yin and yang. There's a lot of overlap between Atlanta and DC, with DC coming ahead in matters dependent on the heavy government presence and Atlanta coming ahead in matters relating to corporate presence and logistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta