Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 04:56 PM

59 posts, read 312,032 times

Advertisements

We are interested in hearing the local residents, or area opinions, on overall crime in these 3 counties, as we will be moving to 1 of the three in January 2012. Maybe.
Our realtor has all but insisted we should be in Gwinnett. But after expanding our home search and leaving no stone unturned, we added Douglas and Newton for home / price / proximity to retail or restaurants we frequent and nothing else.
Today we were advised that Douglas County is a much higher crime area, Newton lesser so , but that she would gladly show us homes in the two areas only after we had discounted the Gwinnett homes.
But after my brief crime search online ( through crime mapping and other sites ) in the last 7 days Gwinnett had 241 crimes, Douglas 60 crimes, and Newton 41 crimes.
Do the statistics of crimes vs. population steer our realtor , or is it maybe a personal filter - " Oh , you don't want to live there ." ??
She has us concerned about the entire Atlanta area.
Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 05:10 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Big question? Are you retired or working in the Atlanta area? This could be a major factor in your decision. As far as the stats, Gwinnett a much larger county with 800,000 + people. A s far as crime, the higher levels of crime are in the south side closer to DeKalb county. Northern, northwest, and northeast Gwinnett is nice and for the most part quiet and a little more rural/surburb.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:06 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,839 times
Do you know the Atlanta area at all? - Just curious. I would rent first, and decide to buy later if crime is an issue for you. You have a lot of time to decide and there is a ton of inventory. You can also go to these places late at night or some odd time to see if you there are things that make you uncomfortable.

In terms of convenience and location, I would pick Gwinnett over the other 2 counties, but there are many other factors to look at besides crime.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:13 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genxor View Post
We are interested in hearing the local residents, or area opinions, on overall crime in these 3 counties, as we will be moving to 1 of the three in January 2012. Maybe.
Our realtor has all but insisted we should be in Gwinnett. But after expanding our home search and leaving no stone unturned, we added Douglas and Newton for home / price / proximity to retail or restaurants we frequent and nothing else.
Today we were advised that Douglas County is a much higher crime area, Newton lesser so , but that she would gladly show us homes in the two areas only after we had discounted the Gwinnett homes.
But after my brief crime search online ( through crime mapping and other sites ) in the last 7 days Gwinnett had 241 crimes, Douglas 60 crimes, and Newton 41 crimes.
Do the statistics of crimes vs. population steer our realtor , or is it maybe a personal filter - " Oh , you don't want to live there ." ??
Thanks !
You do know that Gwinnett is almost 8 times the size of Douglas and Newton counties, correct? Gwinnett's population tops 800,000, while Douglas and Newton are at 130,000 and 100,000 respectively.

As far as convenience, anything on the north side of metro Atlanta is more convenient in terms of job and retail centers. Also, I would bet that the north side of Atlanta is maturing and aging better than the west and south. You really need to come down and check out the different areas before you put down a wad of cash.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,441 times
Default Re: Gwinnett vs. Douglas vs. Newton County Crime

We moved to the city of Lawrenceville in Gwinnett County about 6 weeks ago and really love it here. We are in walking distance of the downtown which is really cute with some great restaurants. The shopping in this area is really amazing...Only 8 miles to the Mall of Georgia...5 miles to The Avenues in Snellville (which is also a nice town), and I haven't even had a chance to get to The Forum at Peachtree.

I was using the Crime Mapping website to check out the area where we bought a house. Nothing had happened in the neighborhood going back for about 8 months. Since we moved in....life is very quiet here. We found a very nice house in a nice neighborhood for a reasonable price. We are very happy!

Old 12-19-2011, 06:45 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
You do know that Gwinnett is almost 8 times the size of Douglas and Newton counties, correct? Gwinnett's population tops 800,000, while Douglas and Newton are at 130,000 and 100,000 respectively.

As far as convenience, anything on the north side of metro Atlanta is more convenient in terms of job and retail centers. Also, I would bet that the north side of Atlanta is maturing and aging better than the west and south. You really need to come down and check out the different areas before you put down a wad of cash.
A lot depends on what you call "west" ... for example, Vinings and Smyrna are west of the City of Atlanta, and they seem to be doing quite well. Douglas County is quite a bit further out, of course.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genxor View Post
Thanks !
Interesting. Why not consider Cobb, which is one of the more desirable counties in the metro, and which surely has properties at your price point? Your county choices seem a bit odd to me, since they really don't have much in common. Do they?

Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 PM

4,060 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Interesting. Why not consider Cobb, which is one of the more desirable counties in the metro, and which surely has properties at your price point? Your county choices seem a bit odd to me, since they really don't have much in common. Do they?
What makes Cobb more desirable than Fulton, Gwinnett, DeKalb, or Cherokee?

Welcome to Lawrenceville. LivingfortheWeekend! Wait until you see the great Friday night concerts they have in the summer---and the Fourth of July celebration!

Old 12-19-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
What makes Cobb more desirable than Fulton, Gwinnett, DeKalb, or Cherokee?
I didn't say that it was better than those, but I would place it right in the mix with regard to stores, housing quality, schools, and other factors.

The OP mixing Douglas and Newton with Gwinnett seems strange to me. The counties you cite are more similar.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:47 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
County crime would be a useless statistic. Too broad of an area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta