Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 11:03 PM

322 posts, read 465,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
So you're saying that God, whom is all-powerful, cannot interject on behalf of His creation?

That's odd thinking.
No, your thinking is odd and archaic. It is religious intolerants like you that are ruining our society. Our government is at a virtual stand still because of this backwards way of thinking. Politicians pander for your vote by lying about their religious beliefs - all in the name of God.

You know very well that the establishment clause of the first amendment is the basis of separation of church and state. It is settled law.

This is just another example of taxpayer wasted money. How dare our legislators offer up such stupid legislation on my dollar. Oh wait, maybe we should just pray for the economy to get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 11:18 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post
No, your thinking is odd and archaic. It is religious intolerants like you that are ruining our society. Our government is at a virtual stand still because of this backwards way of thinking. Politicians pander for your vote by lying about their religious beliefs - all in the name of God.

You know very well that the establishment clause of the first amendment is the basis of separation of church and state. It is settled law.

This is just another example of taxpayer wasted money. How dare our legislators offer up such stupid legislation on my dollar. Oh wait, maybe we should just pray for the economy to get better.
In the 1892 Supreme Court ruling in Church of the Holy Trinity vs. U.S. (citing 87 precedents), "Our laws and our institutions must necessarily be based upon and embody the teachings of the Redeemer of Mankind. It is impossible that it should be otherwise and in this sense and to this extent our civilization and our institutions are emphatically Christian." Throughout history, the U.S. Supreme Court continually cited previous cases in order to maintain our Christian Constitution. However, in 1962, for the first time in American history, the court cited no previous cases and ruled in Engel vs. Vitale that; because of Separation of Church and State, the government needed to be separated from Christian principles. So, the simple school prayer, "Almighty God, we acknowledge our dependence upon thee and we beg thy blessings upon us, our parents, our teachers, and our country" became unconstitutional and the eradication of Christianity from public institutions began.

America's Godly Heritage

Old 12-28-2011, 12:37 AM

13 posts, read 18,949 times
As an Atlanta native that is eager to leave, I find the introduction of the believe as we do "in god we trust stickers", the silly sunday alcohol sales law, the special Sunday parking permissions, and the opposition to opening new mosques....embarrassing.

To get all assumptions out of the way...If you want to put me in a group, I'm an agnostic, social liberal, fiscal conservative libertarian that does not vote straight down any political party ticket.

Now with all of that out of the way, this is really quite simple.

**This shouldn't even be an issue on anyone's agenda. This is simply not important. It's not harming anyone by not having it on the plate and it's not helping anyone to include on the plate. Which means it's an absolute non-issue.**

What should be the focus:
Making the plates cheaper to produce with a 1 color process, from 100% recycled metal, with a barcode/QR code that will make them easier for police to scan from the safety of their car. This will reduce the need for ridiculous, inefficient, costly, polluting, idling by cops and create more income in a more efficient way from more than just speeding tickets, while also making a real dent in our crime issue.

Also, the county sticker makes the plate easier for citizens to identify in crimes. A "Fulton" county tag will provide more information with a car description than a generic "In god we trust" sticker.

Instead of this sticker crap how about taking a gander at a few of our other tiny issues like (city and state):
  • Atlanta crime almost twice the amount of world class cities double the size
  • Our unemployment rate that could easily be reduced in many ways including making the city sustainable and cheaper to manage
  • Our water war issue with neighboring states that could easily be solved with a comprehensive state and city wide water harvesting program that could easily be partially funded with the Fed's assistance. (This also empowers Georgia citizens in a case of emergency and at a time when our rain levels are at historic lows. No water = no food = no humans)
  • Our need for more hospital beds for emergency and employment purposes
  • Low ranking public transit (affects tourism, pollution, prospect companies relocation consideration, cost of building more roads/highways)
  • Poorly managed and performing public schools (feeds the high crime cycle)
  • Our improper land use that prevents us from preserving land for food growth, land for wildlife, and the reduction of sprawl that causes major traffic, more accidents, and an increased need for emergency staff
  • One of the top polluting power utilities in the nation. Thanks GA Power for that awesome, clean Georgia air....ummmm!
  • Lack of social, racial, and economic diversification
  • Planting more trees and adding more green space, since we don't even have as much as the nation leader NY, NY although we have more space to do so.
  • Our world class airport as the airport with the unhealthiest food in the nation
  • Lack of comprehensive recycling and composting programs that could save the cities millions and reduce the need for landfills
  • Our lack of plastic bag and styrofoam bans like numerous other major cities/states (important because of landfills AND ground water pollution, which leads to our poor water quality)

This list doesn't even cover a fraction of our major issues and they all are more important than this sticker. Basically you could add virtually any issue to this list and it would be much more important than this witch hunt.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:46 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times
I think it's ironic that te United States calls itself a Christian nation because Christianity basically in a nutshell encourages people to be like Jesus was.

Jesus was completely selfless while Americans are some of the most materialistic and narcasisstic people on Earth.

Anyway, add me to the "this issue is a waste of time" camp and if it does come to pass, I will also be in line to sue the state.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:57 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Whose god are we talking about? The Christian God? Allah? Yvwh? What about the residents who follow the Hindu tradition? Why can't they put their own slogan on the tag? Why favor only one religion? What about those who don't follow any ... not a small number.

Questions abound.
Exactly, not to mention that it's completely unnecessary. Again, just one more example of the very annoying need for southerners to stick god in your face and wear it out on their sleeve, bumper, and everywhere.

WE GET IT SOUTHERNERS.....you are religious. WE GET IT...you want everyone to know. The saying "thou doth protest too much" comes to mind.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I think it's ironic that te United States calls itself a Christian nation
The United States does NOT call itself a "christian nation." Some misguided citizens call it that, without proper understanding of the principles that founded the nation.

People like Roger Williams and William Penn would not have agreed with that statement, neither would the framers and authors of the Bill of Rights. They understood that the strength of the US was to not be like the Europeans, where the crown and religion were intertwined.

While a majority of the population is Christian (Catholic and Protestant of many denominations), there are Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, etc. The Southern Baptists and fundamentalists are a minority.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:04 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Exactly, not to mention that it's completely unnecessary. Again, just one more example of the very annoying need for southerners to stick god in your face and wear it out on their sleeve, bumper, and everywhere.

WE GET IT SOUTHERNERS.....you are religious. WE GET IT...you want everyone to know. The saying "thou doth protest too much" comes to mind.
I really, really resent this broad brush you are using yet again against all Southerners.

WE GET IT...YOU'RE FROM MASS AND CONSIDER YOURSELF SUPERIOR.

Enough, already.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Strangely enough, this same guy that you responded to wants government out of the way in every other aspect of American life. But religion for some reason, gets the exception. Smh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post

Old 12-28-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I really, really resent this broad brush you are using yet again against all Southerners.

WE GET IT...YOU'RE FROM MASS AND CONSIDER YOURSELF SUPERIOR.

Enough, already.
I don't consider myself superior, other than I don't try to force my religious beliefs on others. What I say is demonstrably true. Southerners in general are all about god in your face and have a hard time keeping religion a private and personal matter. Some are not in that mold. Sorry if you take offense.

My comments stand. I don't see state legislators in MA trying to force this kind of crap down anyone's throat. Why does this crap always come out of places like GA, MS, SC, AL, etc?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Exactly.

I'm still waiting for these wealthy so-called Christian conservatives who got all these taxcuts from the last U.S. President and from this state to open up their wallets on behalf of charities like the Salvation Army who are struggling to find donations.

Not!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I think it's ironic that te United States calls itself a Christian nation because Christianity basically in a nutshell encourages people to be like Jesus was.

Jesus was completely selfless while Americans are some of the most materialistic and narcasisstic people on Earth.

Anyway, add me to the "this issue is a waste of time" camp and if it does come to pass, I will also be in line to sue the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta