Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM

52 posts, read 97,716 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving inside the perimeter of Atlanta within the next couple of months and am looking for some advice on what is the best neighborhood for young professionals.

I am looking for either a 2 BR for about 1000 or a 3 BR for about 1500. I am leaning towards an apartment but a house will be OK too. I work in Sandy Springs so am not too woried about the comute and dont give a crap about public transportation.

Preferably, I am looking for a neighborhood with walkable restaurants / nightlife with a lot of young professionals. While I don't get a chance to do much during the week because of work, on the weekend I like to have a good time drinking with friends. I am still on the younger side so I really don't mind the college bars like East Andrews/Flip Flops/Hole in the Wall. However, I am not too big into the artsy/dive bars.

Here is some neighborhoods I have heard of with some comments. Please correct me if not all of this is right.....

Little Five Points / East Atlanta -- Lots of young people but more hippy/artsy.

Buckhead -- Kind of out of date with older people living there now.

Virgina Highlands - Great walkable neighborhood however I heard it is hard to find an apartment there.

Midtown - Pretty cool area, however would it be in my price range?

Also do you all think something near Peidmont Park or Cabbage Town would be in my price range?

Can you all help me out with some suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Midtown is not happening at that price range. Neither is VaHi most likely.

Maybe East Atlanta?

You're either going to have to compromise on your housing needs or your neighborhood. If you allow $1,500 for a 2BR you'll have a ton more flexibility, but 3BR are kind of hard to come by in prime areas.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Adjust your space requirements and go for Virginia Highland.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 AM

329 posts, read 638,433 times
How About Brookhaven?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Look into Kirkwood. Perfectly situated near East Atlanta, L5P, Decatur, and Virginia-Highlands, all are 2 miles away. Lots of young professionals live in the neighborhood. Safe, walkable, and are a couple of bars in Downtown Kirkwood with good food. Same price range as Cabbagetown, but a lot better neighborhood as far as gentrification. Great connection to I-20, Memorial Drive, or DeKalb Ave. for commute to North Fulton.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:04 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,612 times
West Midtown along Howell Mill or Huff Road may fit the bill as well, since it's less expensive than some of the places you mention. We've got bars and restaurants and galleries a-plenty--and the accompanying piles of students, young professionals, and hipsters.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:40 AM

188 posts, read 297,261 times
Vinings is inside the perimeter and well-positioned for a commute to Sandy Springs.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 PM

52 posts, read 97,716 times
Thanks for the help yall. I plan on looking this weeking and even going stop by Promove. Can anyone provide any zipcodes of the neighborhoods listed above or additional neighborhoods. Also, does anyone have any suggustions of actual apartment complexes.

Not really interested in Vinnings as it is too far of out of the city.

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:35 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD8484 View Post
Thanks for the help yall. I plan on looking this weeking and even going stop by Promove. Can anyone provide any zipcodes of the neighborhoods listed above or additional neighborhoods. Also, does anyone have any suggustions of actual apartment complexes.

Not really interested in Vinnings as it is too far of out of the city.

Thanks for the help!
Vinings is ITP and just on the other side of the river from Atlanta. It's a few hundred yards?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Vinings is ITP and just on the other side of the river from Atlanta. It's a few hundred yards?
BDD8484 is looking for walkable neighborhoods that they do not always have to jump in a car and drive to the corner store. Vinnings does not offer that for the price BDD8484 is looking for.
Quote:
Can anyone provide any zipcodes of the neighborhoods listed above or additional neighborhoods
Kirkwood is 30317. There is Kirkwood station, a mixed use development. Arizona Ave Lofts and LaFrance Street Lofts, both are converted warehouses into apartments and condos. Kirkwood School Lofts, a historic school converted into apartments. Several brand new townhome developments in Edgewood built by Columbia. Very nice and still offers everything you ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta