Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:51 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times

Advertisements

i was in downtown roswell for new year's eve and it was really kicking. went in this bar called inc., and honestly it feels like downtown roswell is an "in-town" neighbourhood now. of course i don't think it's come as far as va-hi, but i heard several people there who are calling it the 'new virginia highland' or 'virginia highland north'. i'm referring to the section on canton street, right north of where it crosses highway 9.

by the way, here was a map i posted of a good route through roswell to check out the historic district on another thread:

Roswell Rd to Alpharetta St - Google Maps

but yeah, saturday night until around 3 there are places open and full of people. high class, too. what do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 05:07 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
But....but....but....Roswell CAN'T be hip and cool- it's OTP!!! Only in-town neighborhoods are hip and cool.....lol

Old 01-12-2012, 05:43 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times
Recent openings include Slate (the outdoor space will be fantastic come warmer weather) which features burgers, mac & cheeses, salads. Roswell Provisions a coffee, cheese, charcuterie, bakery type of place and Table and Main with great Southern inspired food with another great outdoor space. Next up is a steak house by the Salt people. Just keeps getting better food wise.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 AM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
ohmygodloveroswell'scantonstreet...

Old 01-12-2012, 06:57 AM

697 posts, read 3,021,665 times
The Canton Street restaurant district does seem to have achieved critical mass as a new "scene". I lived between Va-Hi and L5P for several years in the 80s and 90s so I think I'm qualified to say that it's a different sort of scene, though. For most people, downtown Roswell is still a destination, not where they live -- a lot more of the Va-Hi businesses' customers were and are within walking distance of home, whether they walked there or not. The north metro area also doesn't (yet) have the cultural, educational, and other business establishments in close proximity that Va-Hi does -- Emory, Ga Tech, and GSU are all within a couple of miles, for many years there were multiple independent movie theaters nearby (the LeFont chain, the Toco Hills theater, etc.), bookstores (Atlanta Book Exchange, Small Press Books, Toco Hills), and live music venues, etc.

Perhaps most importantly, the downtown Roswell area doesn't have the rental housing stock that the Va-Hi district and surrounding areas do -- there aren't the classic early 20th century apartment buildings that appeal to the young and hip like you find between Highland and Briarcliff or just south of Ponce.

Ultimately, all that may not matter as much these days -- there's a greater awareness of and interest in food and wine among the suburban types than there was twenty-five years ago, so the Roswell scene may not need the same type of demographic that Va-Hi had in order to be successful and viable over time.

I'm really gratified, though, that my adopted home has become the hot new place to eat. I don't get over there as often as I'd like, having three young picky eaters to contend with most nights, but I'm glad it's there and go whenever I can.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:23 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
A friend had a wedding at Founders Hall and I was suprised when I saw this area of Roswell. It was nice, but nowhere comparable to Virginia-Highlands, Decatur, or L5P. It was more on par with downtown Norcross and serves its target audience. It was a single street and should not be compared to an entire district. There is no way I will ever go back because it is such a far drive from Kirkwood. At least the 3 in-town neighborhoods mentioned above are served well by MARTA, don't drink and drive.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,638 times
I don't know if "Virginia Highland North" is a perfect comparison, but it's at least somewhat appropriate. It's buzzy, popular with the moneyed set. If anything I would say Va-Hi is turning more into Canton Street than the other way around. It went from quasi-bohemian vibe in the '70s to more of a chichi feeling.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:48 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
I'd say it's more like VaHi for an older crowd.

Roswell is nice, you'll see people in their 50s drinking wine, and young couples partying, but I really don't think you see many people under 30, and definitely hardly anyone if anyone at all under 25.

It's a bit more sophisticated just in that you're pretty much assured there aren't going to be any rowdy drunk college kids trying to pick up women....though maybe a bit of a singles scene will develop? I'm also pretty sure they roll the carpet up earlier in Roswell, but I've never actually stayed past dinner. Does it hop until 2am?

This is just the most recent in the "Decaturization of Atlanta." Forgot who coined that phrase on this board, but it's accurate. Look for other historic downtowns to emulate this moving forward.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,374 times
LOL. No not VaHi at all. There are maybe a couple of streets in downtown Roswell that give off a cool vibe, but there is not a good stock of older homes with character and charm in the surrounding community. They've all been torn down and replaced but generic newer homes like the rest of suburban north ATL. Not that there is anything wrong with that, to each his own. I hope that Roswell can keep it up and really turn the area into something unique. With the rolling hills, bluffs and the river, Roswell has some really nice scenery to take advantage of.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,426,322 times
Dresden in Faux Brookhaven is becoming Va Highland North. Roswell could be in another state if it was located west of downtown. I will say though, downtown Roswell is a pretty cool little area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta