Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:31 PM

79 posts, read 108,761 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are moving from Chicago to the ATL area soon. Before I pose my questions, let me follow the "sticky" guidelines first:

1. We plan on renting to start, so our budget is no more than $1,100 / mo.
2. We need to rent a house because we have a few cats.
3. My industry, commercial real estate, has job concentrated primarily in ATL, so I would definitely commute via public transportation.
4. We have a one-year-old, so daycare is a necessity.
5. We prefer the suburban life, but a suburban/urban mix is doable since we like to get out from time to time.
6. Definitely need easy access to public transportation.
7. We prefer a mixed area...not predominantly anything. But maybe more "family" oriented.

I hear a lot of people complain about the traffic, but I'm curious to know exactly how bad it truly is - which is often relative to where you come from (i.e. born there or moved from somewhere else). In Chicago, it takes me about 40 minutes to get to work on the train, and about an hour if I have to drive. Would the commute be similar if I moved to Alpharetta or Marietta? As stated above, the commercial real estate industry seems to be very concentrated to the downtown ATL area, so I'm thinking my options for employment will be rather limited (considering that I manage high-rise buildings).

Also, what are some other suggestions for good suburban areas with easy access to the city? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 12:36 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,198 times
Skip Marietta if you you need public transportation, say along the 400 or 85 corridor

Old 05-04-2016, 12:37 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Traffic is a problem in ATL mainly because there are often no alternative routes at all for the interstates. I-285 across the northern arc of the metro can be terrible, for example, and an accident will close it down. Same with I-75 in the northwest corner of the metro, and I-85 in the NE corner.

I came from the Twin Cities. Traffic there was not that bad, although the I-494 corridor through Bloomington could stack up at times, as could 35W and 394. I've driven through the Chicago metro before, but mainly not during rush hour. Atlanta is generally worse than the Twin Cities (much worse in terms of alternative routes), but I don't know how it compares to Chicago. I suspect traffic in both places can be equally nasty. I have been on the Loop twice during rush hour, and I didn't like it, but as I said I'm from a somewhat smaller metro.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:02 PM

16 posts, read 22,691 times
Based on what you said, the traffic is comparable to your commutes in Chicago. That commute would be worse from Alpharetta, and Marietta has no MARTA access. I think you would be better off in MARTA-serviced areas like Decatur, Norcross, Brookhaven, or Chamblee. You could probably find rentals for your max budget in these areas.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:05 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,870,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh_ATL View Post
Based on what you said, the traffic is comparable to your commutes in Chicago. That commute would be worse from Alpharetta, and Marietta has no MARTA access. I think you would be better off in MARTA-serviced areas like Decatur, Norcross, or Chamblee. You could probably find rentals for your max budget in these areas.
Agreed. Good comments.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:15 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise82 View Post
As stated above, the commercial real estate industry seems to be very concentrated to the downtown ATL area, so I'm thinking my options for employment will be rather limited (considering that I manage high-rise buildings).
Atlanta has several very distinct commercial areas that have large high-rise buildings: Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Galleria, Perimeter. If you know the buildings that you will be managing, you can look for the most convenient neighborhood.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:03 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh_ATL View Post
Based on what you said, the traffic is comparable to your commutes in Chicago. That commute would be worse from Alpharetta, and Marietta has no MARTA access. I think you would be better off in MARTA-serviced areas like Decatur, Norcross, Brookhaven, or Chamblee. You could probably find rentals for your max budget in these areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Atlanta has several very distinct commercial areas that have large high-rise buildings: Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Galleria, Perimeter. If you know the buildings that you will be managing, you can look for the most convenient neighborhood.
I agree with both of the above with the exception of Norcross, which is not on MARTA. I'd substitute that for Doraville, which is MARTA accessible and the closest station to Gwinnett County (Norcross is in Gwinnett County). If you will be driving to the Doraville train station though from Norcross, it would be doable for you.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:58 AM

48 posts, read 90,870 times
You keep saying "industry" - are you coming down here with no job?

The traffic is bad but if you plan on using MARTA (namely the train) that shouldn't matter because you'll be underground.

Sandy Springs would fit - something near perimeter mall could work. Apartments and townhomes allow cats so I not sure why you HAVE to have a house unless you just want one.

At $1,100/month, you really could look at just buying a house.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2016, 08:15 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Traffic here is not bad at all compared to Chicagoland.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:48 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDreams404 View Post
You keep saying "industry" - are you coming down here with no job?

The traffic is bad but if you plan on using MARTA (namely the train) that shouldn't matter because you'll be underground.

Sandy Springs would fit - something near perimeter mall could work. Apartments and townhomes allow cats so I not sure why you HAVE to have a house unless you just want one.

At $1,100/month, you really could look at just buying a house.

Good luck!
While I mostly agree with what was said in this post, $1,100 dollar a month is barely part of reality right now. It is going to cost more just to rent in an area with public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta