Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,194 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Atlanta area and am curious to know the best place to live on the south side of ATL or in the suburbs. I am in sales, so I work from home, and the majority of my customers will be on the southside of ATL or in southern GA. I was told to find somewhere to live on the south side, preferably near I-75. My base salary will be 75K plus bonus, but I would like to stay in an affordable area $1k or less for a one bedroom with pool.

Everyone seems to hate the southside because of commute time to the northern parts of Atlanta. This will not be a factor for me. I am looking for a nice community to meet other young professionals. I also would like a place that has shopping reasonably close. Thank you for all of the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 03:11 PM

635 posts, read 1,510,379 times
McDonough, in my opinion would for best.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:30 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
That's not the only reason people don't like the southside.

You won't meet many other young professionals there.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:53 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
There are some really nice new apartment communities in the McDonough / Hampton / Locust Grove area along I-75 South. Just be sure you are BELOW HUDSON BRIDGE ROAD -- for traffic and other reasons (Jonesboro / Stockbridge is a little dicey).

Have you considered North Macon? It's only 45 minutes down the road, booming with tons of new residential and retail and might be more convenient for your work.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 5,194 times
Thanks for the feedback. Ill have to look into McDonough area as well as North Macon, I have done a little research but figured it would be beneficial to get some opinions on the forum. Any thoughts on Peach Tree City? Seems like it may be an older community?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetarhoTKE View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Ill have to look into McDonough area as well as North Macon, I have done a little research but figured it would be beneficial to get some opinions on the forum. Any thoughts on Peach Tree City? Seems like it may be an older community?
IMO a beautiful city but definitely feels like a retirement village since it was a planned city, and all the golf cart paths lol.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetarhoTKE View Post
I am moving to the Atlanta area and am curious to know the best place to live on the south side of ATL or in the suburbs. I am in sales, so I work from home, and the majority of my customers will be on the southside of ATL or in southern GA. I was told to find somewhere to live on the south side, preferably near I-75. My base salary will be 75K plus bonus, but I would like to stay in an affordable area $1k or less for a one bedroom with pool.

Everyone seems to hate the southside because of commute time to the northern parts of Atlanta. This will not be a factor for me. I am looking for a nice community to meet other young professionals. I also would like a place that has shopping reasonably close. Thank you for all of the help!
Based on your criteria and desires, I highly recommend the following areas:

1. Historic Downtown College Park*
2. Historic Downtown East Point*
3. City of Hapeville (the whole town should suffice)

~The three aforementioned areas...

...are up and coming, young, hip, urban, and "in-town," but still on the southside.
...have plenty of young professionals.
...offer easy access to other young, hip, urban, "in-town" areas further north without sacrificing the convenience to your clients and base on the southside.
...offer quick, easy access to all parts of the southside, Southern Metro Atlanta, and points further south (South Georgia, etc.).
...allow you to avoid traffic congestion, but still live in an area that fits your demographic.

*Note: I said "Historic Downtown" College Park and "Historic Downtown" East Point for a reason. Though other parts of both cities are very nice, some areas are still hit and miss. It's important for you to know this. If someone will be assisting you, don't just say interested in "College Park" or "East Point"...you have to be specific to which parts--(historic downtown!). Also, there are a few other neighborhoods in East Point outside of the historic downtown area (ie. Jefferson Park, etc.) that will also meet your criteria.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:42 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
There is nothing OLD about Peachtree City ... LOL! It's a fantastic place with lots of options and even young professionals but unfortunately not on the I 75 corridor (opposite side down I 85 South).

Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There is nothing OLD about Peachtree City ... LOL! It's a fantastic place with lots of options and even young professionals but unfortunately not on the I 75 corridor (opposite side down I 85 South).
I know, I was just referring to how it feels like a retirement village lol, what with the 90 miles of golf cart pathways and high amount of golf carts you can't deny it doesn't have a retirement feel to it.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:53 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,746,812 times
Are you working in the city of Atlanta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta