Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 09:26 AM

368 posts, read 539,494 times

Advertisements

^Huh, I wasn't aware of those two routes. Thanks for the link. But it still doesn't sound like true BRT - it sounds similar to Atlanta's existing Q service on memorial avenue. It still runs in regular traffic lanes, but has traffic signal priority and can "queue jump" in special lanes in a few places.

True BRT operates almost exactly like a train - separate lanes that don't allow other traffic, and with stations. Like this (skip to 35 seconds for a good summary of how it works):

BRT de Curitiba Video da CNN - YouTube

Although as far as I know, true BRT like this hasn't really been implemented in North America. I think Boston has something close, with a separate tunnel for buses in one area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 06:15 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
As far as transit goes, I believe buses are preferred are preferred to subways in NYC. At least in the summer in Manhattan.

BRT is going to be a tough sell. But at the same time, aren't those GRTA buses fairly popular?
You can walk faster than NYC buses travel. But, yes they are cramm-packed full of people.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:39 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I think peeps in the ATL would be cool with BRT so long as it's done right and isn't some tacky glorified bus. After all, the object of transit is to get from Point A to Point B quickly and comfortably and at low cost.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:27 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
The bus system in Atlanta, is never done right. And even if the particulars of BRT are handled right whose to say that the BRT won't be cut in the next economic downturn?

That's why folks in East Dekalb going to Lithonia want rail service. Plain and simply: it can't be cut, no matter which stupid wackjob southern goober is elected to state office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I think peeps in the ATL would be cool with BRT so long as it's done right and isn't some tacky glorified bus. After all, the object of transit is to get from Point A to Point B quickly and comfortably and at low cost.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:27 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
That's why folks in East Dekalb going to Lithonia want rail service. Plain and simply: it can't be cut, no matter which stupid wackjob southern goober is elected to state office.
I don't understand that, Acid. Why can't rail service be cut?

Old 05-27-2012, 08:53 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Likely for the same reason you can't just simply block off I-75 from 16th street up to Northside Drive. Nothing would be transported and the economy would stall in a very noticeable & calculable way for significant portion of Atlanta.

It's easy to obfuscate the consequences of a lack of proper transit in an area that is used to gridlock on any given workweek. Much less so when you have rail and the commercial development that will likely follow it.

There are more reasons to be sure, but this reasoning is one that sticks out in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't understand that, Acid. Why can't rail service be cut?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
LA has a true BRT line. The Orange and Silver Transitways http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/901.pdf act like a LRT running in exclusive ROW. I think many Atlantans have a mental issue that buses are for poor people. Businesses like rail because it is harder for it to get eliminated or rerouted.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:51 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
LA has a true BRT line. The Orange and Silver Transitways http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/901.pdf act like a LRT running in exclusive ROW. I think many Atlantans have a mental issue that buses are for poor people. Businesses like rail because it is harder for it to get eliminated or rerouted.
Because the existing bus service largely is. MARTA buses use the same roads as cars and are rather slow. I would never ride a MARTA bus if I could drive to the location I was going to, so it's mainly used by people without cars. Also, it's annoying as hell to get stuck behind a slow MARTA bus in traffic.

BRT with independent ROW would be a different story.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:57 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Because the existing bus service largely is. MARTA buses use the same roads as cars and are rather slow. I would never ride a MARTA bus if I could drive to the location I was going to, so it's mainly used by people without cars. Also, it's annoying as hell to get stuck behind a slow MARTA bus in traffic.

BRT with independent ROW would be a different story.
So people without cars are poor? You sound like a typical ATLien.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:03 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
So people without cars are poor? You sound like a typical ATLien.
I didn't have a car for most of the time I was a student, and yes it was because I was poor.

The Atlanta metro is so hard to get around without a motor vehicle (whether that is a car/bus/whatever) that I would imagine not being able to afford a car is a more common reason not to have one than simply choosing to go without one. Of course that doesn't apply to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta