Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:12 PM

45 posts, read 154,839 times

Advertisements

Look at the site for this years semifinalist for Siemen's Intel winners. I say semi because none of the GA students made it to finalist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,441 times
It sounds to me that what yall are saying is that Chamblee, Grady, and Decatur are great schools but are not lilywhite, and they have many minority students. True but great schools are diverse. Out all of the public schools in the Atlanta area Chamblee is the best with grades and diversity. I am white and live in the North Dekalb area which is probably one of the most diverse in all Atlanta. There are tons of hispanics, blacks, whites, and asians. Do not try to live in area just because everyone looks like you. This is a big reason why Hispancis, Blacks, and Hispancis are segregated in Atlanta now. The world is much more than just us Caucasians try to find a place with a good mix of races.

Best places to live with good schools and close to Atlanta
Midtown
Druid Hills
Dunwoody
Sandy Springs
North Atlanta

Last edited by polish; 10-23-2007 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-23-2007, 09:05 PM

I forgot to put the link

http://www.siemens-foundation.org/po...ting_07-08.pdf

Old 11-05-2007, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 8,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwolnhop View Post
I'm looking at a potential move from southern Tennessee to Atlanta, and am trying to get a feel for areas of Atlanta that would be a great fit for my family.
I am a real estate broker in the North Atlanta area, so thought I would chime in...Johns Creek area is great and Northview is an awesome high school however the commute is rough....South Forsyth also has good schools(in Johns Creek area). You should be able to get in a nice home (especially in the current buyer's market) for your 500k target in the Sugarloaf, John's Creek, or Duluth areas...for Duluth, I would probably try to stay in the North Fulton part of Duluth...just sayin! Commutes wont be so bad from the Sugarloaf area as you have the I-85 option...with GA400 widening recently, you should also consider Alpharetta/Roswell area...good schools, nice restaurants and good shopping...20 miles from downtown. Anywhere in the 'burbs here is gonna be somewhat of a commute...the best thing is to get close to one of the main arteries as you feel comfortable with and you will do fine. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 8,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annielennox View Post
We live in Mill Creek Cluster and will move out of this part of the south as soon as home sells. The neighborhood and school is very...hum trying to think of the word ...clannish, cultish.
Anyway I'm from the Northeast, well-educated out of state, very liberal and non-religious, and single parent. I would like to emphasized if you are not a practicing Christian in this area you will be slighted or if you don't think UGA is the be all and end all for your children's college education you will not enjoy the weekly rantings of the crazy elementary school principal at Duncan Creek. And of course if you really want an excellent education for your child don't move to Georgia at all. Right now the typical select few of blowhards in Hamilton Mill are waging a campaign on the school board because of the recent redistricting plan. At first I was agreeable to try and remain in the Mill Creek Cluster but after hearing the rantings of the same people I have to say I'd rather be split just to make the school less fundie feeling and bringing some of the kids from Collins will do the trick.
No one else said it, so I will...we are going to be sooooo sad to see you go!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 AM

Yeah I can't wait to sell my home to ...what are they called by the HM people "undesirable demographics" and watch my neighbors with their tacky ass seasonal decorations seethe. Also never take advice from a Realaturd especially when the market is the way it is now.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,297 times
Default North East Atlanta Schools

Fulton Vs. Forsyth Schools-

I am moving to the Atlanta area in January. My husband will be working in Lawrencville. We have three children ages 12,10 and 4. We are looking at the Johns Creek area and over the border to Forsyth County. Does anyone have any input beyond test scores on how the Forsyth County schools compare to Fulton? We are looking at South Forsyth High school. Clearly you get more for your money in Foryth and we thought the schools seemed great but don't want to make a mistake.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 14,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marynorr View Post
Fulton Vs. Forsyth Schools-

I am moving to the Atlanta area in January. My husband will be working in Lawrencville. We have three children ages 12,10 and 4. We are looking at the Johns Creek area and over the border to Forsyth County. Does anyone have any input beyond test scores on how the Forsyth County schools compare to Fulton? We are looking at South Forsyth High school. Clearly you get more for your money in Foryth and we thought the schools seemed great but don't want to make a mistake.
I can't really speak about the High School as mine are attending Johns Creek Elementary. The parent and community involvement is great at JCE and the curriculum is FANTASTIC. They went through some redistricting to move some kids from Sharon Elementary to Johns Creek elementary and Sharon is also awesome, if not better (JCE hasn't been open enough to determine that yet though) as far as parent teacher community involvement and French classes to boot! JCE has Spanish, which is essential now, I guess. So in my experience 2 out of 2 is not bad at all.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:51 AM

18 posts, read 57,620 times
Hello, I live in Alpharetta, GA (Johns Creek area). I have to say this area is really nice for families. My son attends Findley Oaks Elementary, which seems to be very top-notch and the teachers and administrators really care about the students. They have a lot of fun and unique activities planned for the children each month.

I live in the Seven Oaks subdivision and I just checked their web site for homes in our community and there are a couple of listings for under $500K, click here to view: Seven Oaks - Homes for Sale.

I wish you all the best.

JDomonique
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta