Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 AM

196 posts, read 777,409 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the wonderful information. We will be moving to Atlanta beginning of next year. We will be house hunting, most likely in the area of Marietta.
Some basic infomation about me:
1. Budget
$250-350k

2. House/Condo/Townhome?
House. Family of 4. 2 kids in middle school. Husband travels a lot so mainly me and the kids living there. We don't need such a big house. Pref less than 2500sf built up. But kids want a big yard/space. Yes, 1 acre would be nice!

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
I work from home

4. Children(public school vs. private)
Private school. Haven't decided on which one.

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
Suburban.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
Not important.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
Not important, but safety is paramount as it would be mostly me and the kids at home.

Would appreciate any information/leads as to where to start looking.
Any reading the tea leaves when is it good time to start hunting?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 11:03 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,666,305 times
Figure out the school first -- lots of Atlanta private schools are intown. What kind of school are you looking for?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 AM

Thanks for responding.
Actually that is one of my top concerns too. I have shortlisted a few, based purely on web search.
I was looking at Woodward, but it is really out of the way.
I am also looking at Pace and Lovett.
I would like a school with a rigorous academic program, with a strong high school division. My eldest is going 7th grade, it wouldn't be too long before he reaches high school.
Do you have any school in mind?

Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,814,062 times
If you move to East Cobb, than you will get a rigorous academic program at a high school such as Walton, without the admissions angst, while saving tuition money for college.
If your husband travels include flying out of the Atlanta airport, I would recommend a more eastern suburb such as Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Roswell with access to the MARTA. You may think you'll never need it, but there are times when your flights are in the midst of rush hour and MARTA is the best way to get to and from the airport (albeit more of a hassle when flying internationally after next month).

Old 04-23-2012, 01:12 PM

Thanks, roxyrn. Yes, I've heard of East Cobb being hot because of school district.

Digressing a little. I am new to this. Sometimes I hesitate talking about this private vs public topic because people get so worked up over it. How does Walton compare to the likes of Woodward. 20k a year, they must surely give you something more?
Please, I hope noone gets defensive, just a curious fact-finding question.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:43 PM

It all depends on your child, your finances, your public school, distance from private school and your need to be exclusive. Also, the fact that you may not gain admission to the school of your choice.
My three oldest children attended a top private school in Minneapolis until we moved to Connecticut when the oldest was in 7th grade. The public schools there were almost as good as the private one we paid over $20,000 per year per child.
There are also very good public schools in Roswell, Milton, Alpharetta and Johns' Creek.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:55 PM

Yes, I understand that "exclusivity" factor.
Back to public school, does it mean if I stay in the school district, I would 100% get into that school? What if that grade is full? What happens?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:08 PM

890 posts, read 1,650,354 times
public schools dont work that way. Every child in that zone is accepted

Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionT View Post
Back to public school, does it mean if I stay in the school district, I would 100% get into that school? What if that grade is full? What happens?
Admission to Cobb County schools is based on your address. If you live in a particular school's district, that's where you go. As people have moved into the area, the county has built and opened new schools to accommodate the new students. You cannot be denied admission to your zoned school.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:21 PM

However- the zones can change via redistricting. I don't think that is on the boards right now for Walton HS cluster, but I would certainly check that out.
Also, by living a long distance from your private school, your kids do lose out on some of the neighborhood friendships as well as the bus-stop bonding between moms/dads. And, you do a lot more driving for birthday parties, sleep-overs, play-dates. I still swear that my kids found their best friends by figuring out who lived the longest distance away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta