Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 02:45 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Are you sure these aren't just additional inflows to the single, central checkpoint. I don't believe TSA has more than the one checkpoint.

How do these other checkpoints lead to the train and concourses?
They are adjacent to the main one, although they are completely disconnected. As you're walking in, you'll sometimes see signs that say something to the effect of:

North Security Checkpoint: 15 Minutes
Main Security Checkpoint: Less Than 10 Minutes
South Security Checkpoint: Less Than 10 Minutes

The North and South checkpoints put you onto the T concourse, and you can then take a different set of escalators down to the Plane Train.

No offense, but this is pretty standard knowledge about the Atlanta airport--far from a secret. Some people I work with prefer the South Checkpoint; I prefer the main. The South Checkpoint has the trusted traveler program, also, which I've heard is nice and thought about enrolling in. It may have expanded to more of them by now.

In the olden days, there used to be a less-well-known security checkpoint in the northern concourse, off to the left as you faced the T-Gates. There were only a couple lanes there, but sometimes the lines would be a lot shorter. That's gone now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 04:06 PM

403 posts, read 619,770 times
The new international terminal should help a lot. Intl arrivals are a disaster with baggage recheck and security check for ATL bound passengers.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
For the airport size and the amount of people it handles I think It does fine I have never had a problem. Now Miami its alot worse

Old 05-06-2012, 06:47 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
They are adjacent to the main one, although they are completely disconnected. As you're walking in, you'll sometimes see signs that say something to the effect of:

North Security Checkpoint: 15 Minutes
Main Security Checkpoint: Less Than 10 Minutes
South Security Checkpoint: Less Than 10 Minutes

The North and South checkpoints put you onto the T concourse, and you can then take a different set of escalators down to the Plane Train.

No offense, but this is pretty standard knowledge about the Atlanta airport--far from a secret. Some people I work with prefer the South Checkpoint; I prefer the main. The South Checkpoint has the trusted traveler program, also, which I've heard is nice and thought about enrolling in. It may have expanded to more of them by now.

In the olden days, there used to be a less-well-known security checkpoint in the northern concourse, off to the left as you faced the T-Gates. There were only a couple lanes there, but sometimes the lines would be a lot shorter. That's gone now.
Perhaps they are only open during peak times. They are closed now according to the TSA site for ATL.

Trak-a-Line - Security Wait Times - ATL

I have never seen a single sign for anything but the single "Security Checkpoint" in the center of the terminal, and I've flown in and out of ATL probably close to 150 times in the last 5 years. I'll have to look next time I fly.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:28 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Perhaps they are only open during peak times. They are closed now according to the TSA site for ATL.

Trak-a-Line - Security Wait Times - ATL

I have never seen a single sign for anything but the single "Security Checkpoint" in the center of the terminal, and I've flown in and out of ATL probably close to 150 times in the last 5 years. I'll have to look next time I fly.
They are typically open during daylight hours. The TSA definitely closes the lanes down at the North and South checkpoints a lot more aggressively than the main checkpoint. Which is why I normally avoid them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: