Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 05:47 AM

4 posts, read 8,612 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family will be moving to Atlanta in the next month from Florida. I am looking to have a 35min or below commute and would really like to rent a relatively newer single family or townhome. It seems like Duluth area gives you the most bang for your buck but I've heard the nightmares about I-85. Also, I heard Dunwood/Sandy Springs area is nice but the 400 is even worst. Help please!!!!!

1. Budget-up to $1600
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Preferrably a newer townhome(would rather avoid yard work if possible)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commutting to the North Druid Hills area near Lenox
4. Children(public school vs. private) Daycare and Public
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two? mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood? No strong preference, just want low crime/safe neighborhood.

Thanks everyone!!!
[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:44 PM

20 posts, read 39,142 times
I hate to tell you, but every highway in the Atlanta area has it's fair share of horror stories. Traffic is a bit heavier on 85 than some other highways, but it's not the worst. You really can't choose where to live around Atlanta based on traffic, or you'll rule out the whole metro. :-/

I've been to Duluth and it seems nice, a bit traffic filled but it's Atlanta so that can be expected. Also, Duluth is mostly suburban but it has it's fair share of urban living opportunities too.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:13 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
The way it works here is the farther out you go, the cheaper the housing but longer the commute (more $ in gas, more $ spent fixing and replacing cars, less time spent with family)

So if your max budget is $1600, you should have a lower budget for way out in duluth. Maybe 12 or 1300.
35min to buckhead from duluth is pushing it for during rush hour. As a rule, I give 1 hour to get to in town any time of day but I'm a few exits farther north than duluth.
I don't think 85 is that bad personally but I don't use it on a daily basis. Atlanta traffic does not hold a candle to florida traffic. I've lived here for 12 years and have yet to get in a traffic jam that rivals those that occur on SR 826 or I-95 in Miami.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 AM

15 posts, read 27,822 times
Duluth is a nice area and you should be ok with that budget, however as mentioned before it will take you more than 35min to get to Druid Hills normally, and up to 1hour on those really bad days.

I got a couple of friends that live in Decatur and work on Druid Hills by 85 and they seen to be pretty happy with the area and their commute, may want to check that out.

Norcross have some nice new townhouses, Tucker is also an options but I haven't really seen any new developments in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta