Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:14 PM

236 posts, read 698,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Maybe because South Georgia has about 1/10th the population of Metro Atlanta? I'm not saying they shouldn't get anything, but 'ol Governor Pray for Rain made sure his buddies down south were paid.
~50% of Georgia's population is outside the Atlanta MSA. It's annoying when people discount the contribution of the non-MSA to the success of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapowermike View Post
~50% of Georgia's population is outside the Atlanta MSA. It's annoying when people discount the contribution of the non-MSA to the success of the state.
True, but that other 49% (which is 40% when you calculate the CSA population of Metro Atlanta) isn't all in South Georgia. It's mostly in the Central Georgia cities. My original statement still reigns true: South Georgia is only but a small percentage of Metro Atlanta's population.

While they certainly deserve to have our combined tax dollars spent on projects in their region of the state, since Metro Atlanta has the lion share of the State's population (and is the economic engine for the State) we should benefit the most from any infrastructure spending.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:07 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oh, come on, Caleb, they've always had that information out there. Anybody who's been in the business can tell you from personal experience there's no slack.

Just go here for all the details.

GDOT-Office of Construction Bidding Administration
Array, they are never detailed enough and if I am wrong, why did a former Georgia governor get caught up in the highway scandals of the 70's? It's a lot of money....have to account for every dollar or graft seeps in. The bidding process and corresponding accounting are always circumspect by nature.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:57 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Array, they are never detailed enough and if I am wrong, why did a former Georgia governor get caught up in the highway scandals of the 70's? It's a lot of money....have to account for every dollar or graft seeps in. The bidding process and corresponding accounting are always circumspect by nature.
Caleb, the costs are literally broken down by price per linear foot for each item.

http://tomcat2.dot.state.ga.us/Contr...T120622S01.pdf

ftp://ftp.dot.state.ga.us/Letting%20...20NO%20010.pdf

How much detail do you need? If none of this is sufficient, you can get even more by mailing in a FOIA request. Or call the DOT or the contractor. These are public, not private, contracts and they are thus subject to the highest scrutiny. Which is exactly how any politician who tries to mess with them winds up in a scandal.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
True, but that other 49% (which is 40% when you calculate the CSA population of Metro Atlanta) isn't all in South Georgia. It's mostly in the Central Georgia cities. My original statement still reigns true: South Georgia is only but a small percentage of Metro Atlanta's population.

While they certainly deserve to have our combined tax dollars spent on projects in their region of the state, since Metro Atlanta has the lion share of the State's population (and is the economic engine for the State) we should benefit the most from any infrastructure spending.
OH PLEASE! Give me a break!

And you wonder why there's such a huge "disconnect" between both residents and politicians in Metro Atlanta and the rest of the state?! It is because of ARROGANCE such as this! Metro Atlanta gets more than its fair share of highway spending to the detriment of South Georgia. If you don't believe me, come down to Savannah and let me show you our urban freeway network. Neither 1-16 nor I-516 have been upgraded ONCE since built in the 1960s -- SAME PAVEMENT, SAME RAMPS, SAME GUARDRAILS! The only modern expressways in Savannah (the Truman Parkway and Southwest Bypass/Veterans Parkway) were primarily funded locally. We are LONG overdue for a complete rebuild / overhaul of our freeway network, crumbling under the weight of port traffic -- THE SECOND BIGGEST CONTRIBUTOR TO THE STATE'S ECONOMY! But we're only going to gt it if local voters pass OUR version of the T-SPLOST, which is unlikely to happen because people down here know not to trust anything that happens under the Gold Dome in Atlanta.

That some of you seem to delight in the "Two Georgias" is really discouraging.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:08 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I hope this money is put to good and effective use...

Georgia DOT to get $2 billion for infrastructure - Atlanta Business Chronicle
We could spend about half of that on repaving and fixing potholes, and the other half on sidewalks.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:28 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
So why don't Savannah use the money from the Port operations to upgrade its highways?

Wasn't the 2006 Shafer Amendment suppose to solve the issue of keeping all monies earned from local businesses locally?

So if Savannah is the second largest contributor to Georgia's economy, should it not have the ability to use those funds from its harbor operations to make itself a powerhouse? Quite frankly, I can't help but wonder why Savannah never tried to angle itself as a major second city in the way that Texas has at least 2 cities that are highly relevant on the economic and social scene.

Also, you can't blame Metro Atlanta if Savannah's T-SPLOST region won't pass their tax. This is their once-in-a-generation golden opportunity to try to upgrade their transportation infrastructure with their Port dollars just as Metro Atlanta is trying for it's rare attempt to pass a major transportation tax bill. So everyone has an equal opportunity to contribute in the success and failure of their region.

The reality that the Savannah folks may possibly go against their own T-SPLOST referendum should have no bearing on Atlanta. Your anger is misplaced, I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

And you wonder why there's such a huge "disconnect" between both residents and politicians in Metro Atlanta and the rest of the state?! It is because of ARROGANCE such as this! Metro Atlanta gets more than its fair share of highway spending to the detriment of South Georgia. If you don't believe me, come down to Savannah and let me show you our urban freeway network. Neither 1-16 nor I-516 have been upgraded ONCE since built in the 1960s -- SAME PAVEMENT, SAME RAMPS, SAME GUARDRAILS! The only modern expressways in Savannah (the Truman Parkway and Southwest Bypass/Veterans Parkway) were primarily funded locally. We are LONG overdue for a complete rebuild / overhaul of our freeway network, crumbling under the weight of port traffic -- THE SECOND BIGGEST CONTRIBUTOR TO THE STATE'S ECONOMY! But we're only going to gt it if local voters pass OUR version of the T-SPLOST, which is unlikely to happen because people down here know not to trust anything that happens under the Gold Dome in Atlanta.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 07-14-2012 at 04:46 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 04:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Waronxmas' point was that Metro Atlanta should get the "lions share" of funding for infrastructure improvements because Atlanta is the "economic engine of the state." My point was, Georgia Ports are the SECOND biggest economic driver in the entire state economy, after Hartsfield-Jackson. Why should Savannahians have to pay for something that benefits all of Georgia?

Old 07-14-2012, 04:40 PM

47 posts, read 44,837 times
Quote:

What does Atlanta have to do with a T-SPLOST in Savannah? No one is being "arrogant" when people say the most money needs to go to the most who benifit.

Anything that benefits the core Atlanta metro benefits the whole state. Im sure it's the same with NYC and New York, Detroit and Michigan , Chicago and Illinois and Denver with Colorodo, yet those states realize it and don't try to fight their powerhouse city.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:43 PM

47 posts, read 44,837 times
Quote:
Waronxmas' point was that Metro Atlanta should get the "lions share" of funding for infrastructure improvements because Atlanta is the "economic engine of the state." My point was, Georgia Ports are the SECOND biggest economic driver in the entire state economy, after Hartsfield-Jackson. Why should Savannahians have to pay for something that benefits all of Georgia?
The "lions share" doesn't mean all. Georgia should improve its ports but that doesn't mean Savannah should get the same share as Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta