Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:03 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,352,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That's why nobody likes hipsters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 07:04 PM

19 posts, read 31,213 times
Quote:
The point of Music Midtown is to fill Piedmont Park with people. That means that thousands of tickets have to be sold.

The "cool" people "in the know" are listening to bands that have trouble selling out the Earl or Variety Playhouse.

I just don't get some people. Joan Jett and Pearl Jam are seminal performers. When I was a douchebag college student young 20-something year old, bands like Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, and Aerosmith weren't considered "cool" anymore. But everybody who knew anything about music certainly understood the relevance of them and would definitely see them perform if given the chance.

That's why nobody likes hipsters.

I can justify Joan Jett but as a 20 something now I'd rather see the genius of Black Sabbath or Pink Floyd over Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters.

For you to be a generation x member and not HATE Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters for being one of the band that ruined real grunge and brought on the "post -grunge" bull like Nickelback just means you were likely a bro in the 90s.

Trust me bands/artists like Grimes and Neon Indian can fill up the park.

It just won't be filled with bros and aging gen x folk who gave up on "cool" years ago to buy a house in the burbs.

Last edited by Hoapres; 09-23-2012 at 07:19 PM..

Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
3) Once again, driving was more efficient than taking MARTA. Yesterday I left a bit early and said what the heck, I'm going to try parking, knowing that I had enough time to drive to a MARTA station if I couldn't. I immediately found a place to park. Then after the show, I got right out. So I did the same thing tonight with the same results, straight in and straight out, no muss, no fuss. What was striking was last night I left at the same time as a friend who parked at Dunwoody and took MARTA. We left the show at the same time. By the time he texted me and told me he was at the Dunwoody MARTA station, I had already driven home to Gwinnett county, showered, and was going to bed. Apparently, MARTA was so jammed you had to wait for a couple of trains to come and go before you could actually get on one. Another friend told me that 10th street was absolutely horrible, but as long as you know where to park and how to get in and out of the park only using Piedmont or Monroe, there was no problem at all.
Can't speak to Sat night as I didn't go then but on Friday night MARTA was no issue for me. I was near the front of the crowd so by the time I got back to the Midtown station it was packed with people but I was still able to get on the first train that arrived.

Also, probably the reason driving was so easy for you is that so many people took MARTA instead. It was heavily suggested to take MARTA in the info on the website to avoid a serious traffic mess. While I probably did wait a bit longer doing it that way, the times that traffic hasn't worked out for me at big events in Atlanta I sat for hours, so I'm more inclined to avoid it when I can i guess.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
It's called age and maturation.

Quick story: last time I saw Pearl Jam was 20 years ago at a little festival called Lollapalooza 2. The bill was Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Lush, Jesus & Mary Chain, Ice Cube, Ministry, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

My douchey college friends and I were there for one reason and one reason alone: Ministry. That was what we cared about. But we still watched the other bands because hey, we were there and they were there, so why not? I didn't really pay that much attention to Pearl Jam, though. At that time, they only had one album. But I did gain a lot of respect fo Eddie Vedder when he came on stage during the Jim Rose Sideshow and drank the liquid from Matt "The Tube" Crowley (google it).

I already went through hating Pearl Jam. In the wake of Nirvana, Melvins, etc. they were pretty weak sauce. But guess what? It's 20 years later, and Pearl Jam is still around. And in that time, they haven't released the same material over and over, they have changed and developed and matured. Pearl Jam was probably never a real grunge band, just a rock band that happened to emerge from the same scene. If you had told me 20 years ago that I'd be defending Pearl Jam, I would have said you were crazy. But age and time do give you a different perspective sometimes and it can't be denied that Pearl Jam is a very important band. Sure, others who never got as much credit are probably more important, but that doesn't take away from what Pearl Jam has done, and more importantly, continues to do.

I don't even know what a bro is, but I've always listened to all kinds of music. In the 90s I was into Ministry, Skinny Puppy, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Lords of Acid, KMFDM, and a bunch of the rave stuff that was coming out of the Netherlands, especially the gabber from Rotterdam. That doesn't mean that I didn't still listen to Motley Crue, Metallica, Jim Croce, Led Zeppelin, and even Madonna too.

Some day you will broaden your horizons and stop being a hater.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
It's called age and maturation.

Quick story: last time I saw Pearl Jam was 20 years ago at a little festival called Lollapalooza 2. The bill was Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Lush, Jesus & Mary Chain, Ice Cube, Ministry, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

My douchey college friends and I were there for one reason and one reason alone: Ministry. That was what we cared about. But we still watched the other bands because hey, we were there and they were there, so why not? I didn't really pay that much attention to Pearl Jam, though. At that time, they only had one album. But I did gain a lot of respect fo Eddie Vedder when he came on stage during the Jim Rose Sideshow and drank the liquid from Matt "The Tube" Crowley (google it).

I already went through hating Pearl Jam. In the wake of Nirvana, Melvins, etc. they were pretty weak sauce. But guess what? It's 20 years later, and Pearl Jam is still around. And in that time, they haven't released the same material over and over, they have changed and developed and matured. Pearl Jam was probably never a real grunge band, just a rock band that happened to emerge from the same scene. If you had told me 20 years ago that I'd be defending Pearl Jam, I would have said you were crazy. But age and time do give you a different perspective sometimes and it can't be denied that Pearl Jam is a very important band. Sure, others who never got as much credit are probably more important, but that doesn't take away from what Pearl Jam has done, and more importantly, continues to do.

I don't even know what a bro is, but I've always listened to all kinds of music. In the 90s I was into Ministry, Skinny Puppy, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Lords of Acid, KMFDM, and a bunch of the rave stuff that was coming out of the Netherlands, especially the gabber from Rotterdam. That doesn't mean that I didn't still listen to Motley Crue, Metallica, Jim Croce, Led Zeppelin, and even Madonna too.

Some day you will broaden your horizons and stop being a hater.
You redeemed your gen x coolness by mentioning KMFDM, Skinny Puppy, Gabber Corps, and Lords of Acid. Still don't get the Pearl Jam though, but I don't get LMFAO or Maroon 5 either.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
I think there comes a point in every hipster's life where they realize that feeling superior to someone else simply based on the type of music they listen to is ridiculous and silly.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoapres View Post
I can justify Joan Jett but as a 20 something now I'd rather see the genius of Black Sabbath or Pink Floyd over Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters.

For you to be a generation x member and not HATE Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters for being one of the band that ruined real grunge and brought on the "post -grunge" bull like Nickelback just means you were likely a bro in the 90s.

Trust me bands/artists like Grimes and Neon Indian can fill up the park.

It just won't be filled with bros and aging gen x folk who gave up on "cool" years ago to buy a house in the burbs.
Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters have never made themselves out to be more than just straightforward rock bands. Don't begrudge them for being in the right place at the right time and becoming wildly successful right off the bat. I'm not a die hard fan of either one(Vitalogy is about the only PJ album I've heard that I like and FF don't do anything for me).

You sound like you are still stuck in high school "bro." Ones taste in music no longer determines their social position once people get out into the real world.

Grimes and Neon Indian(both I just had to google) would be lucky to sell out Vinyl or some other smaller Atlanta venue. They aren't gonna "fill up the park."

Old 09-23-2012, 08:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoapres View Post
You redeemed your gen x coolness by mentioning KMFDM, Skinny Puppy, Gabber Corps, and Lords of Acid. Still don't get the Pearl Jam though, but I don't get LMFAO or Maroon 5 either.
So you're judging people based off of the music they liked? How ridiculous is this?

Man, there are some incredibly shallow people in this world and on these forums. You'd think they grown up by now, but they act worse then highschool students I know.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I think there comes a point in every hipster's life where they realize that feeling superior to someone else simply based on the type of music they listen to is ridiculous and silly.
Um, I guess you haven't reached it yet?

Quote:
If there is anything I can hold my head up high and confidently feel "supercilious" about, it is my disdain for anybody who has a shred of appreciation for Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, or Insane Clown Posse. Taste in music undoubtedly reflects someones core values and those "artists" reflect nothing but ignorance and idiocy.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters have never made themselves out to be more than just straightforward rock bands. Don't begrudge them for being in the right place at the right time and becoming wildly successful right off the bat. I'm not a die hard fan of either one(Vitalogy is about the only PJ album I've heard that I like and FF don't do anything for me).

You sound like you are still stuck in high school "bro." Ones taste in music no longer determines their social position once people get out into the real world.

Grimes and Neon Indian(both I just had to google) would be lucky to sell out Vinyl or some other smaller Atlanta venue. They aren't gonna "fill up the park."
You are one to talk

Quote:

"Modern" rock is absolutely awful. I lost a lot of respect for a friend and former musical collaborator when he started listening to crap like Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, and Insane Clown Posse. I will admit to listening to Korn(you gotta admit their first album was pretty badass) when I was a kid but even they couldn't drop two albums without becoming obnoxious knuckle-draggers. I think that particular subgenre of music is the only type I hate more than ATL Rap(Waka or whatever) and contemporary country. I mean, it actually makes me physically ill.

Also, Neon Indian and Grimes regularly get over 2 million views on thier YouTube videos. Obviously you would need more then two bands to fill up midtown's park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta