Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
As usual on city-data, I was referring to the metro area of Miami...not the city limits.
Miami is different from Atlanta in that anything outside of Miami-Dade county is another planet. It may be a part of the same media market and same MSA but it doesn't feel like it. People in Broward don't consider themselves to be in the Miami area and likewise, people pretty much anywhere in Miami Dade coutny don't consider themselves to be in the fort lauderdale area even if they're closer to FTL than MIA. It used to be long distance to even call from one county to another. Now they've got different area codes, zip code prefixes, transit systems ... languages .... to most people in Miami, miami ends at the county line. So being in Broward is very much a different market. Broward has far more junk fooderies.

That was one thing that always appealed to me about atlanta, was the unity between counties. I'm 36 miles northeast from the urban core but I'm just as much a part of the atlanta metro area as someone who lives 72 miles to the southwest of me. I later learned that was baaaad.

Anyway... waffle houses in Florida are not the same as ion GA. In GA, they're company stores and have expanded menus and more fountain drinks. So they're better here than down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:53 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Bwahaha are you kidding me? My hometown is Atlanta and I love it, but I currently reside in Manhattan, and it is absolutely a 24 hour city. Everything shuts down at 10pm? Have you ever been here? There are more people out walking around on my block at midnight than there are at noon (absolutely not in a tourist or nightclub area).

Within about a 5 block radius of my apartment are at least 8 or so 24 hour delis. Not to mention several bars (last call at 4am). Oh and a subway that runs 24 hours a day.

Also, where in God's name are you getting this statistic about 95% of restaurants closing at 10pm? (wait don't tell me, you're pulling it out of thin air). I honestly cannot think of a single restaurant that isn't open till at least midnight, usually 1am, and often 2am or later on the weekends. This applies to everything from Chinese take out joints to middle of the road sit down restaurants to high end places. If you want crap food, there are two McDonald's within 4 blocks of me that are open 24 hours a day and deliver. I'm sure there are others, but the only real restaurant (i.e.: not Waffle House) open 24 hours a day that I'm familiar with Atlanta is R. Thomas in Buckhead.

And can you shop at Macy's, got a play or museum in Atlanta at 5am?
My old neighborhood of Astoria, Queens had more going on in the wee hours that the entire city of Atlanta.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Don't forget there are a couple of 24 hour Chickfila Dwarf Houses! Now that's something to brag about.

Atlanta is not a 24 hour city. In order to define a "24 hour city" the city would have to have THINGS TO DO 24 hours a day. I don't consider gas stations, walmarts, drugstores, fast food joints, and krogers a thing to do.

However I like this conversation. Hope to find out about a place I never would have guessed was opened at 3:30am.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
My old neighborhood of Astoria, Queens had more going on in the wee hours that the entire city of Atlanta.
Queens is trash

Old 09-19-2012, 09:19 PM

You all can hate all you want but I need proof. Show me proof those cities have over 140+ restaurants open at 5am

Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Atlanta is more 24 hours than Seattle. Seattle is a city that truly shuts down everything after a certain time, even some convenient stores and gas stations :O. And as far as 24 hours grocery stores go, forgetaboutit. I miss being in Atlanta and having insomnia, then being able to just go to a 24 hour kroger to get some junk food. That doesn't exist in Seattle. If you plan on getting something after 11 PM, you may as well wait until the next day.
Wow

Old 09-19-2012, 09:28 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
This is precisely when you need it to run if you want to keep drunks off the road.

It really only needs to run ever 30 minutes or so between 1a and 6a, so single tracking shouldn't be that big of an issue. Those of us who rode MARTA when the Lindbergh station was under construction certainly know what it's like to ride MARTA while it's single tracking. It could be done if they had the will to do it. At least on weekends.
The MARTA train should be 24 hours, especially fri/sat and sat/sun evening/morning, and when there is a big event in town.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:40 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
There are hundreds of late and 24 hr restaurants in NYC.

New York City Restaurants, New York City Menus, Ratings, Reviews, NYC Restaurants Guide

The city never sleeps!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
The MARTA train should be 24 hours, especially fri/sat and sat/sun evening/morning, and when there is a big event in town.
Certainly for big events and fridays and Saturdays ... what's four more hours?

Overall I do prefer having a clean system over a 24 hour system.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:16 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
You all can hate all you want but I need proof. Show me proof those cities have over 140+ restaurants open at 5am
Are you seriously trying to base this comparison to NYC on Waffle House and Kroger? You are just being funny, right? Couldn't you have at least mentioned The Majestic and Landmark Diner instead of Waffle House?

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 09-19-2012 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta