Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 05:02 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I didn't discredit Chicago at all. In fact, I want Atlanta to have density similar to that of the loop and outer areas, particularly the north side, however, more and more I think about it, Atlanta will either never achieve it or it will take a century which by that time, I'll be dead.
I know this. I apologize for the confusion. I recall two posts after your initial post that did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I only knew about Chicago's two airports (Midway and O'Hare--which was the world's busiest airport until some years after the 1996 Olympics), Kennedy Airport, LaGuardia, Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, Orly and LAX. I obviously knew other major cities had airports. But they never stood out in my mind. I hadn't heard of Hartsfield-Jackson until I moved here (I didn't fly the first time I came here and we drove when I moved here).

I didn't know what sports teams were in Atlanta either. I just knew of Northeast coast teams, California's Milwaukee's, Boston's and St. Louis. I guess I just never caught the game when Chicago's teams played Atlanta's.

I knew some people that I met through work lived in an Atlanta suburb called Stone Mountain, but I didn't know there was an actual Stone Mountain Park with the world's largest piece of exposed granite. I also didn't know it had the world's largest high relief sculpture partially carved by the same man who carved Mt. Rushmore until after I moved there. I had heard of Mt. Rushmore, but never the Civil War carving. Maybe because we didn't really study the Civil War much in school and the Civil War is something that people in other parts of the country outside the south don't think about or care much about.

I didn't know that Kriss Kross was from Atlanta. I also didn't know Coke was based in Atlanta. I drank Pepsi back home lol.

Again, never saw a picture of Atlanta's skyline before moving here but could easily recognize Chicago's or New York's in a photo. In certain photos with certain angles, I can't tell them apart. Though the building that stood out to me after moving here was the Bank of America building.

I'm not pointing these things out to bash Atlanta, just that I didn't know much of anything about the city, even after a brief visit in 1995 and I didn't learn anything about it until after I moved here in 1997. I just knew a lot of people were moving down here so they could buy a house or they were told that black people could "make it" here.

I think it's great for the city that the 1996 Olympics put it on the map. But to me it begs the question of whether or not Atlanta would have gained the same popularity it has in the last sixteen years if the city had never gotten the Olympic bid.
Again, I apologize for the confusion. Only the first sentence was directed at you. I agreed with everything that you wrote. The first and second paragraphs were my attempt to share my lack of knowledge about Atlanta; just as you had shared yours. My shock is that some Atlantans are shocked that some of us don't know; or didn't know much about Atlanta. I simple want to convey to this group Atlantans that this does not diminish their city.

About the bashing. There are a few posters that have attempted to elevate Atlanta by putting down Chicago. One poster brought New York into the fray. I'm calling out that behavior. NOTHING that you have written. In fact, you bring up a great point about Stone Mountain. Who knew?! Like you, I certainly did not. I've heard of Magic Mountain. NEVER, until we came down here have I heard of Stone Mountain! Riding the tram to the top and listening to the narrator, while looking at the relief. Great point!

ABD, please be assured that I was not barking at you. I failed in my attempt to convey to some that Atlanta is fine without all the hyperbole.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:52 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
ABD, please be assured that I was not barking at you. I failed in my attempt to convey to some that Atlanta is fine without all the hyperbole.
No apologies. I knew you weren't barking at me. My stating that I wasn't bashing Atlanta wasn't directed to you specifically. It's just that some people get bent out of shape toward those who don't always hold this city in high regard.

I was simply sharing your sentiment and agreeing with you that most people knew nothing about Atlanta before the Olympics, nor are any of it's features widely known to most people outside of here--especially it's skyline or specific buildings.

I think we have to thank southern rappers for letting the rest of the world know of Atlanta 's many strip clubs lol.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 09-30-2012 at 06:02 AM..

Old 09-30-2012, 07:54 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
What...until I find...one. Really, Atlanta and its trees are not what makes Atlanta standout in people's minds. I moved to Atlanta from Pennsylvania and the trees made no impression on me because PA is also covered in trees. People won't come to Atlanta to marvel at the trees.

You just don't want to get it.

It is Atlanta's super-unique urban/suburban forestry that is a marvel.

Atlanta
the city in a forest

Old 09-30-2012, 08:46 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Atlanta is Atlanta. Why does it need to look like a big city? (imo it does) why does it get compared to New York and Chicago when it isn't that type of city?

I am urban. I thrive off of the sophisticated lifestyle of Chicago and New York. If I for some reason chose to live in Atlanta I would be looking for Atlanta not a comparison to a totally different or often times larger city.

Atlanta is great for what it is. If your looking for snow boarding, don't move to Mississippi! Every place has its own thing.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
What...until I find...one. Really, Atlanta and its trees are not what makes Atlanta standout in people's minds. I moved to Atlanta from Pennsylvania and the trees made no impression on me because PA is also covered in trees. People won't come to Atlanta to marvel at the trees.
This thread was never about recognizable icons, and fyi, the Westin Peachtree Plaza is as iconic as it gets. All news media use a backdrop with it when interviewing someone via satellite.

Of course the trees seem normal to the Eastern states, but which major cities are covered in them? Philadelphia sure isn't, and Washington's suburbs have many more than the district.

I never meant that trees defined Atlanta, however they facilitate a pleasant, suburban feel not typical of other major cities.

I have heard many West Coast visitors being surprised by the tree cover.

When all is said and done, it's quality of life that matters, not a recognizable tourist draw. tidbit: The Golden Gate Bridge viewed from the Marin headlands is the most photographed spot on Earth.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:33 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
I still think "trees" are a silly thing to hold up as a symbol of Atlanta. Every city has trees, there are even trees in Manhattan. The ironic thing is that even with all those trees in Atlanta, there is less opportunity to really get out amongst them and enjoy them than in more built up cities. Most of those trees are on private property. Atlanta lacks a true "forest" park like Rock Creek Park in DC where you can literally get lost hiking in the middle of one of the nations biggest cities. Even Central Park has the Ramble and a big patch of forest in the north end. It seems like Piedmont Park is finally starting to get the idea with the latest expansion but I think the west side is ripe for a big park with plenty of hiking trails and a well managed forest. Maybe a mini Sweetwater Creek type park ITP would work there if there is enough empty land(and there seems to be on the west side).

Old 09-30-2012, 09:43 AM

937 posts, read 1,801,939 times
I wonder why there aren't any plans to build new high rises downtown. All we need is maybe 7 more high rises to improve the look. Just my opinion after all I'm from Augusta.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:36 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I still think "trees" are a silly thing to hold up as a symbol of Atlanta. Every city has trees, there are even trees in Manhattan. The ironic thing is that even with all those trees in Atlanta, there is less opportunity to really get out amongst them and enjoy them than in more built up cities. Most of those trees are on private property. Atlanta lacks a true "forest" park like Rock Creek Park in DC where you can literally get lost hiking in the middle of one of the nations biggest cities. Even Central Park has the Ramble and a big patch of forest in the north end. It seems like Piedmont Park is finally starting to get the idea with the latest expansion but I think the west side is ripe for a big park with plenty of hiking trails and a well managed forest. Maybe a mini Sweetwater Creek type park ITP would work there if there is enough empty land(and there seems to be on the west side).

Southside Park: Southside Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chastain Park: CPC Home page

Old 09-30-2012, 11:38 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
I wonder why there aren't any plans to build new high rises downtown. All we need is maybe 7 more high rises to improve the look. Just my opinion after all I'm from Augusta.
The days of building highrises on speculation are over for now...there must be demand in order to finance building new highrises.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:23 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I would also highly recommend the Cascade Springs Nature Preserve.

The Creeks had settled there long ago, but by the early 1800s white settlers were arriving and establishing farms.

During the Civil War the land was the site of ferocious fighting. Some of the cannon emplacements are still detectable. The Union army sustained over 800 casualties and lost 200 prisoners to Confederates forces, who were dug into the hills. In my mind you can almost sense the battle.

In the early 1900s a tourist spa with a hotel and restaurant was built. Visitors came to experience the and the mineral springs and you can still see the old spring-house.

In more recent years the city has built some excellent walking trails. It's one of the oldest untouched forests in town and the home of several champion trees.

Best of Atlanta 2011 - Cityscape: Best urban wilderness refuge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta