Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 06:34 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yes, because i swear, every week, there are campus alerts with someone being robbed or assaulted. With how Downtown currently is, GSU isn't nearly the best it can be.
LOL! You never stop with your false characterizations of downtown, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 06:36 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Well duh, it has 30,000 students. If one tenth of one percent of them have some sort of altercation, that's still 30 a week. If you're worried about that, you better start playing the lottery.

I went there for four years and never had, nor to my knowledge knew anyone who ever had, any kind of incident.

Georgia State definitely has a larger and more recognizable name behind it (plus the fact that it is a research university), although that's still mostly on the regional scale. On the national level, it isn't that prominent. Usually when I tell someone I went to Georgia State, the first thing they say is, "Oh, that's the bulldogs, right?"
Same here...that dude is well-known to disparage downtown with false information. I mean, if you're afraid of downtown - don't go there!

Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Or you can just see a list of the campus alerts at GSU...

Old 11-21-2012, 07:06 PM

472 posts, read 809,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I don't know what you're talking about. Ant's description is pretty accurate about downtown, as for campus troubles:

Georgia State actually has one of the biggest campus police departments of any school in the nation.

GT | Police Department - Crime Statistics

Georgia State University - Statistical Reports

Now, remember Joe, that ant's description is characteristic of all major cities. It's not like Atlanta is singled out. Crime exists everywhere. NYU has the same problems Georgia Tech and GSU do in terms of campus crime and city scum.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:43 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
nm

Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 PM

This really caught my eye. Apparently, UGA and Georgia Tech aren't the only big players for globalization of it's campus.

KSU is ranked 8th in the nation for masters institutions sending students to study abroad. That's topping Loyola Marymount University and College of William and Mary.

Georgia State is no where to be found. Now KSU is going to open up a permanent study abroad site in Italy.

https://web.kennesaw.edu/news/storie...ucational-site

2010-11 | Leading Institutions by Institutional Type | U.S. Study Abroad | Open Doors Data

I'm really impressed with KSU. For a school that prides itself on diversity, Georgia State hasn't done a very good job touting their diversity title.

--

Last month, BOR has approved a $38.7 million 176,000-square-foot Student Recreation and Activities Center that will triple the space of the 55,000-square-foot student recreational center built in 1967.

https://web.kennesaw.edu/news/storie...kennesaw-state

--

The biggest change GSU needs to take note of is KSU's nursing program growth. This came out in September.

"Nursing faculty at Kennesaw State University recently received a $126,000 boost from the University System of Georgia’s Board of Regents to either pursue a research doctorate or begin a research program.

One of the two nursing faculty initiative grants ($90,000) is aimed at increasing the number of nursing faculty and promoting faculty retention in the University System of Georgia, while the second ($36,000) will provide seed money for faculty research."

https://web.kennesaw.edu/news/storie...-board-regents

--

Kennesaw State University to offer master’s degree in the chemical sciences
https://web.kennesaw.edu/news/storie...mical-sciences

Last edited by dichloromethane; 11-24-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 11-24-2012, 04:53 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
This really caught my eye. Apparently, UGA and Georgia Tech aren't the only big players for globalization of it's campus.

KSU is ranked 8th in the nation for masters institutions sending students to study abroad. That's topping Loyola Marymount University and College of William and Mary.

Georgia State is no where to be found.
Nor are Georgia Tech, Emory, or even Harvard. It just means GSU is not in the top 40 among Doctoral universities. Nice to be listed but doesn't appear to be significant. I mean Elon University tops KSU!
--
Quote:
Kennesaw State University to offer master’s degree in the chemical sciences
I think they have the biggest chemistry department in the state and that includes GT and UGA. GSU is #2. All the more remarkable in that until now, KSU only offered up to a Bachelor's.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:10 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Dichloromethane, is there some kind of grudge you're holding against GSU?

Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Nor are Georgia Tech, Emory, or even Harvard. It just means GSU is not in the top 40 among Doctoral universities. Nice to be listed but doesn't appear to be significant. I mean Elon University tops KSU!
--

I think they have the biggest chemistry department in the state and that includes GT and UGA. GSU is #2. All the more remarkable in that until now, KSU only offered up to a Bachelor's.
Gatech is internationally renowned and has an international campus in Lorraine, France and joint programs with universites in Singapore.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
--

Did you even click on the links let alone read what was provided?

INSTITUTIONS BY TOTAL NUMBER OF STUDY ABROAD STUDENTS: TOP 40 DOCTORATE INSTITUTIONS*, 2010/11

UGA 12th
--

LEADING INSTITUTIONS BY SHORT-TERM DURATION OF STUDY ABROAD AND INSTITUTIONAL TYPE, 2010/11

UGA 5th
--
U.S. Study Abroad: Leading Institutions by Undergraduate Participation and Institutional Type

GT 36th
Emory U 29th
Harvard U is 32nd

TOP 25 INSTITUTIONS HOSTING INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS, 2011/12

GT is 24th

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS BY INSTITUTIONAL TYPE: TOP 40 ASSOCIATE'S INSTITUTIONS*, 2011/12

Georgia Perimeter College 36th

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS BY INSTITUTIONAL TYPE: TOP 40 SPECIALIZED INSTITUTIONS*, 2011/12

SCAD 2nd

--

Mathman come on. Now you're simply making things up. I posted it because of the relevance of students interested in international business, public affairs, journalism or computer programming. All of which are hot fields which will require quite a global mind. It's important to know. Sure, you can study abroad practically everywhere(even GPC receives hosts apparently), but schools with strong study abroad programs are more likely to have a name that carries well overseas. Maybe Elon has a good study abroad program? Clearly students are studying abroad. Yes?

rorqual is correct. GT also has a very strong Asian presence on campus. Georgia Tech is known in Banglore as it is in Beijing.

UGA also has a campus at Oxford university in England, Cortona, Italy, Monteverde, Costa Rica with numerous affiliate programs.

They're both great schools for study abroad. As for the largest chemistry department, that goes to UGA. Followed by either GSU or Georgia Tech. I'm not sure where you got that bit from. GSU's chemistry department is actually very small for a research university of it's size. Although they are following UGA's suit in hiring new science faculty. I'm not sure if most of those hirings are going towards the Neuroscience Institute, biology department or the Chemistry department. Most GSU professors are teaching faculty though, UGA and GT have a much stronger research presence with certain select tenured/tenure track professors teaching.

As the second largest enrollment in the state, I was surprised that KSU was named and GSU was not. Now, you're right, maybe GSU wasn't named because it was placed in the doctorate level category. To that I have to ask you, why does the more diverse and global community not make the list despite trailing UGA by just a few? While KSU, this small school in Georgia makes the cut?

That's the point I'm trying to get at. I'm trying to point out what KSU is doing right, not what GSU is doing wrong. Which, going back to the OP, leads me to believe that KSU is indeed underrated and will overtake GSU in terms of student selection and maybe even university classification.

--

No toll_booth not at all. Remember, I post on city-data with the assumption that some high schooler will come across these threads while researching colleges on google. I do go out of my way to discuss topics and news relevant to universities that others may not know of. This is one of those things. I actually defended GSU on a previous thread. Facts are facts. We don't have to like them, but that doesn't change the fact that they're true. That's why I try to quickly site as much as I can instead of just saying whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta