Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 12:18 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Schmooey Liebowitz View Post
New York is the gold standard for urbanism, and smaller, less-established cities are always copying it. The Streets of Buckhead's initial promotional materials were full of references to emulating NY's Upper East Side.
Umm... ok?

Usually we promote Buckhead as the Beverly Hills of the South when we will in from outside regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,571,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Before moving to Atlanta this was one of the more interesting developments promising to bring even more vibrancy to downtown that I was looking forward to:

Home Page | Times Square South - 285 Marietta St

However I haven't heard any updates on this lately? Anyone know what the status of this project is?
Its a pipedreamm in my opinion, Atlanta needs to continue to do their own thing.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Schmooey Liebowitz View Post
The Streets of Buckhead's initial promotional materials were full of references to emulating NY's Upper East Side.
I don't remember that but the project died about 5 years ago.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Its a pipedreamm in my opinion, Atlanta needs to continue to do their own thing.
I don't think its a pipe dream at all, but... don't let the name fool you... this is just a single mid-sized multi-use office building not a major square.

The only difference is its in a high visible parcel to many of our cities tourist, so they are wrapping the one building in ads. They are essentially developing 1/3 of a city block, but connecting it to the existing buildings on the block to become one complex. It is also a popular dining area, so the multi-use component could do well.

I hope it does well, because they will do their small part to make the city seem more exciting at street level.
...but its just one building.

The real premium advertising space in Atlanta will be the companies that develop the remaining parcels along Ivan Allen Blvd and Atlantic Station with premium visibility from the connector.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I hate that name. And before someone comes in here and say that Atlanta is trying to be like NYC were aren't. We have no control over what a developer develops. If I open a Waffle House in NYC NYC is not trying to be like Atlanta
It would help if the ATL boosters would stop proclaiming they are the NYC of the Souff!

Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
It would help if the ATL boosters would stop proclaiming they are the NYC of the Souff!
It would help if people jealous of Atlanta would stay in their city forum

Btw, nobody here thinks that and if they do they are dumb

I bet u can't post two post where someone that is from Atlanta made that statement? (There location on their profile must have a metro atl city in it-

Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Perhaps I live under a rock, but the phrase "New York City of the South" is prevelantly used in this forum, but I've heard no developer use that term in years.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Perhaps I live under a rock, but the phrase "New York City of the South" is prevelantly used in this forum, but I've heard no developer use that term in years.
The only people that might say this are people who aren't used to anything. Anybody who has traveled or who has a passport should know that is a very dumb statement. Anybody who has ever stepped foot in NY and ATL know that is dumb.

I will say that people with common sense would not make that claim

Maybe they mean that Atlanta is the "King" of the south similar to NYC being the King of the Northeast. I would agree with that. That is what I think they mean. I do not think they are saying that Atlanta is similar to NYC. Maybe they should say "Atlanta is the king of the south" instead of saying "Atlanta is the NYC of the south"

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 11-25-2012 at 11:52 AM..

Old 11-25-2012, 02:53 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
It would help if people jealous of Atlanta would stay in their city forum

Btw, nobody here thinks that and if they do they are dumb

I bet u can't post two post where someone that is from Atlanta made that statement? (There location on their profile must have a metro atl city in it-
First of all what is there to be "jealous" of?
Second this is a open forum and I can comment anywhere I please even if it rankles your cankles. I happen to have friends who live in the ATL and have visited so I do have a interest in what occurs there.

Thirdly go to the 'city vs' city" forum and do a search for the term "NYC of the South" and see what pops up. I find it hilarious that you claim nobody says that yet here we have a thread titled "Times Square South"! Unless I'm mistaken Times Square is where again?

Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,069,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
First of all what is there to be "jealous" of?
Second this is a open forum and I can comment anywhere I please even if it rankles your cankles. I happen to have friends who live in the ATL and have visited so I do have a interest in what occurs there.

Thirdly go to the 'city vs' city" forum and do a search for the term "NYC of the South" and see what pops up. I find it hilarious that you claim nobody says that yet here we have a thread titled "Times Square South"! Unless I'm mistaken Times Square is where again?
NYC of the south is a term that has indeed been used before but it's also a term that most Atlantans hate. It's sort of akin to calling Philly "NYC's 6th borough". They hate being called that because it's slightly insulting (insinuating that Philly can't stand as its own city). NYC is NYC. Philly is Philly, and Atlanta is Atlanta.

That's why there have been so many people saying in this thread here that they hate the name of this development.

Too many people (including developers) think that the rest of the world wants to be exactly like New York. How boring that would be though. If every city was exactly like NY, there would be no reason to ever travel. I don't want Times Square in Atlanta. I want something uniquely Atlanta. If I wanted to see Times Square, I'd go see Times Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta