Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I would predict that absolutely nothing would change. Certain industries are in certain cities, and finance....well, that's in New York.

For another Atlanta example, just look to CNN. The new president of CNN is Jeff Zucker. Even though Turner Broadcasting is headquartered in Atlanta, the news media business industry is in New York and as such, Jeff Zucker will be based out of New York.

So the idea of corporate headquarters is starting to get a little fuzzy. Sure, Turner's headquarters is in Atlanta. But that just means most of the accountants, public relations, and support staff are housed in CNN Center. But with the company president, Anderson Cooper, and many producers based in New York and Wolf Blitzer and all the political unit honchos based in Washington, can you really say CNN is based in Atlanta? What does based in a city even mean? Is headquarters where you have the biggest building with the most support staff, or is it where the real strategic decisions are made?

Even though the NYSE was purchased by an Atlanta company, I think we can still say the NYSE will be based in New York.
But TBS is a subsidiary of Time Warner which is headquartered in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 PM

472 posts, read 809,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Well, the Chair will be ICE's current CEO and the president will be NYSE Euronext's current Chair (I think is the way it goes). Lot's of companies have "dual" headquarters, but that's usually to keep the troops from thinking, "Oh my God, we are moving our headquarters!" It's generally just a PR thing.
PR it may be, but that's precious PR we need.

Good day for Atlanta.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
THANK YOU! to the incomprehensible critic who wasted rep points on me with the following comment:

"Trust me when I say this, NO ONE from Wall Street will give up living in an exciting cosmpolitan city like NY to move to McMansion Tea Party land aka Atlanta."

^^^^ Which is EXACTLY what I said (minus the "McMansion Tea Party land aka Atlanta part)

Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
I would predict that absolutely nothing would change. Certain industries are in certain cities, and finance....well, that's in New York.

For another Atlanta example, just look to CNN. The new president of CNN is Jeff Zucker. Even though Turner Broadcasting is headquartered in Atlanta, the news media business industry is in New York and as such, Jeff Zucker will be based out of New York.

So the idea of corporate headquarters is starting to get a little fuzzy. Sure, Turner's headquarters is in Atlanta. But that just means most of the accountants, public relations, and support staff are housed in CNN Center. But with the company president, Anderson Cooper, and many producers based in New York and Wolf Blitzer and all the political unit honchos based in Washington, can you really say CNN is based in Atlanta? What does based in a city even mean? Is headquarters where you have the biggest building with the most support staff, or is it where the real strategic decisions are made?

Even though the NYSE was purchased by an Atlanta company, I think we can still say the NYSE will be based in New York.
I get what your saying but that's a bad example Most of CNN air time is actually based in Atlanta, as CNN news room. It just a lot of the prime time show aren't. Never the less I get your point.

But yeah I don't think it means anything over than bragging rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
THANK YOU! to the incomprehensible critic who wasted rep points on me with the following comment:

"Trust me when I say this, NO ONE from Wall Street will give up living in an exciting cosmpolitan city like NY to move to McMansion Tea Party land aka Atlanta."

^^^^ Which is EXACTLY what I said (minus the "McMansion Tea Party land aka Atlanta part)

I actually kind of miss getting negative reps. Every one wins! trolls get there hate on, and you get rep.... Win-Win

Old 12-20-2012, 07:39 PM

472 posts, read 809,836 times
Quote:

That wasn't me.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to take away from the prestige of the acquisition, I'm just saying don't expect big jobs to come to Atlanta or for anyone on Wall Street to even really notice.

CNN aside, this kind of thing has actually been going on for a long time. Tons of companies around the country are incorporated in Deleware because they have the best business laws, but I don't know what benefits Deleware reaps from that. Most cruise ships are (or at least were, I don't know anymore) registered in Liberia. That didn't seem to do too much to help them. There are all kinds of other examples, I think a lot of companies have official headquarters in Bermuda.
For Bloomberg Business to break away from their normal format and focus on this transaction for at least a good 2 hours during before the pre market hours of 7am-9am, definetely was a great plug for the city. Atlanta got tremedous exposure courtesy of Bloomberg Business and other reputable Business media outlets. Bloomberg business seemed to overemphasize that ICE was Atlanta Based, which gave the city some good free advertising. Also every business article from London, England to Detroit seems to be starting off that a much smaller Atlanta investment company is acquiring its rival. At least for today, I think it was great Atlanta got so much good attention.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
For Bloomberg Business to break away from their normal format and focus on this transaction for at least a good 2 hours during before the pre market hours of 7am-9am, definetely was a great plug for the city. Atlanta got tremedous exposure courtesy of Bloomberg Business and other reputable Business media outlets. Bloomberg business seemed to overemphasize that ICE was Atlanta Based, which gave the city some good free advertising. Also every business article from London, England to Detroit seems to be starting off that a much smaller Atlanta investment company is acquiring its rival. At least for today, I think it was great Atlanta got so much good attention.
Bloomberg, like most every news outlet in the nation, has a sizable news bureau presence in ATL. I have friends who live in ATL and work for Bloomberg Business News. I don't think many people outside the communications / news biz realize this, but it's been true for years. CNN aside, all the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) have news operations in Atlanta INDEPENDENT of the local affiliates. (Ditto for the nations's largest newspapers.) Just one more example of how Atlanta is indeed considered a big player by the national media.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
Bloomberg, like most every news outlet in the nation, has a sizable news bureau presence in ATL. I have friends who live in ATL and work for Bloomberg Business News. I don't think many people outside the communications / news biz realize this, but it's been true for years. CNN aside, all the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) have news operations in Atlanta INDEPENDENT of the local affiliates. (Ditto for the nations's largest newspapers.) Just one more example of how Atlanta is indeed considered a big player by the national media.
I guess as a Business major Bloomberg sources are the most reliable and trustworthy for me. Its amazing the number of reputable Economist's they have to come on their shows during the week. The amount of Data and Analyzation of economic news Bloomberg Business does is mind blowing.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:31 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
“I am pleased they will keep the New York Stock Exchange name and protect the brand,” Schumer said, adding that the new company will have dual headquarters in Atlanta and on Wall Street.

Sprecher’s terms persuaded the 775 stockholders of NYSE Euronext to the accept his deal to protect the operation from shrinking any further.

Most trading for financial products is done largely on computers with little need for face-to-face contact. The image of the once-hectic trading floor has all but vanished at the Big Board.
NYSE ice storm - NYPOST.com

I guess there are no jobs from the trading floor to moved anyway.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 PM

That NYPost story has a couple graphs that suggest this is still a blow to NYC's ego:

"Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), an aggressive defender of Wall Street, said he received assurances from the new owners that the historic trading floor — sparsely occupied now — and its jewel landmark building at 11 Wall St. won’t be turned into condos.
“I am pleased they will keep the New York Stock Exchange name and protect the brand,” Schumer said, adding that the new company will have dual headquarters in Atlanta and on Wall Street."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta