Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 04:33 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
WHAT?!?! That was never in Coke's plans! It was a "what if" idea that I suggested on this site back a year or so ago!

Wishing for a new coke tower
Can I still dream of a bottle shaped skyscraper with red lights and shoots fireworks on top every time the Braves win!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
ASO, apart of the Woodruff Center, grows and receives its funding by government assistance, private donations, and private proceeds. You can't really separate the effects of private and government money.
Actually you can separate them. The Woodruff gets less than 1% of its funding from government grants, and the other 99.3% comes from private sources.

While I agree that public transportation projects typically rely on tax dollars, most of the others on the list are private undertakings.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:56 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
Can I still dream of a bottle shaped skyscraper with red lights and shoots fireworks on top every time the Braves win!?
YES YOU MAY! And I'll still dream of a MARTA system that extends to Cumberland, Alpharetta, Norcross, Tucker (via Emory), Stone Mountain, South DeKalb, Forest Park and Union City!

REMINDER: When pondering the question of "What ever happened to ..." It's wise to seperate the unofficial pipe dreams of a few from those projects that were actually backed with real funds and had legitimate support. An awful lot of things get announced well before there's ever any plan in place to accomplish them, in the hopes of winning support. That's why we should really celebrate the long-shot things that nobody believed would ever happen, yet did come to pass -- the Olympics, the Beltline, the Aquarium, Atlantic Station.

Other words, rather than dwelling on all the grand Atlanta ideas that have yet to become reality, be grateful for all those that have! And there are many of them ...

Old 12-27-2012, 05:03 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
YES YOU MAY! And I'll still dream of a MARTA system that extends to Cumberland, Alpharetta, Norcross, Tucker (via Emory), Stone Mountain, South DeKalb, Forest Park and Union City!

REMINDER: When pondering the question of "What ever happened to ..." It's wise to seperate the unofficial pipe dreams of a few from those projects that were actually backed with real funds and had legitimate support. An awful lot of things get announced well before there's ever any plan in place to accomplish them, in the hopes of winning support. That's why we should really celebrate the long-shot things that nobody believed would ever happen, yet did come to pass -- the Olympics, the Beltline, the Aquarium, Atlantic Station.

Other words, rather than dwelling on all the grand Atlanta ideas that have yet to become reality, be grateful for all those that have! And there are many of them ...
Hear, hear!

Old 12-27-2012, 05:10 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
WHAT?!?! That was never in Coke's plans! It was a "what if" idea that I suggested on this site back a year or so ago!

Wishing for a new coke tower

No, no Brother Newsboy--how presumptuous of you!

This is something I heard/read about as a teenager way back in the 1990's.

Do you really narcissistically think that I (or potentially anyone else) was listing things on this thread based on something you wet-dreamed in a city-data post? Seriously now...

Your "what if" ain't nothing but yesterday's "already thunk it."

Last edited by aries4118; 12-27-2012 at 05:32 PM..

Old 12-27-2012, 05:12 PM

83 posts, read 113,448 times
...and the big whatever happened to...

Old 12-27-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO (those Atlanta ideas that never happen...)

Old 12-27-2012, 05:20 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No, no Brother Newsboy--how presumptuous of you!

This is something I heard/read about as a teenager way back in the 1990's.

Do you really narcissistically think that I (or potentially anyone else) was listing things on this thread based on something you wet-dreamed in a city-data post? Seriously now...

Your "what if" was nothing but yesterday's "already thunk it."
OH YEAH?! Then find the original! (Wet dream? How gauche!)

Old 12-27-2012, 05:46 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,937 times
Quote:
What ever happened to making Water Works into a park?
Quote:
arjay: [It] has been nixed due to Homeland Security issues as I understand it.
This is most definitely NOT true. Homeland Security has been the hold-up, for sure. But Watershed Management, the City Council, and Mayor Reed all have the power to make this happen. I urge everyone reading this thread to go here and "like" this page, which contains pics and tons of info on the Waterworks Park efforts: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Atlan...77646932282622

And while I have folks' attention, would anyone here be willing to email your councilmember and/or Mayor Reed to request that the fences around the waterworks be moved to open up the surrounding park space? You can contact Mayor Reed at mayorreed AT atlantaga.gov or at his campaign page (Contact Us | Kasim Reed for Mayor)

This is the time to do it, as 2013 is an election year. And elected officials are surprisingly much more receptive when they remember that we, you know, vote.

A short message will do just fine. Some folks in the know have told me that the more the public speaks up on this particular issue, the more quickly it will happen. In fact, I'd argue that this is THE easiest project to do on the entire list in the OP of this thread, since the park space already exists. The problem is that there's a darn fence all around it!

Some talking points (if you need them):
  • Historically, the Waterworks was *intended* to have publicly accessible greenspace all around it. We're talking about a 100 years ago. (Atlanta Water Works) It was open until the 1996 Olympics, when federal security concerns over the water supply forced the city to put up (ugly) fences all around the reservoirs. As far as I know, the east reservoir isn't even treated or intended to be used as a water supply. There's no reason that the fences couldn't be moved in closer, as other cities have done (e.g. NYC central park, which is probably a much bigger security hazard than Atlanta).
  • With all the talk of budget tightening, why on earth aren't we jumping on the chance to restore an already existing park? It's probably the most cost-efficient parks project the city has in front of it at the moment.
So please, just to reinterate to all of us fine City-Data folks: please send a short message to Reed and your council members on this one. It's a project we can actually make happen if we show there's citizen demand for it.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
This is most definitely NOT true. Homeland Security has been the hold-up, for sure. But Watershed Management, the City Council, and Mayor Reed all have the power to make this happen. I urge everyone reading this thread to go here and "like" this page, which contains pics and tons of info on the Waterworks Park efforts: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Atlan...77646932282622

And while I have folks' attention, would anyone here be willing to email your councilmember and/or Mayor Reed to request that the fences around the waterworks be moved to open up the surrounding park space? You can contact Mayor Reed at mayorreed AT atlantaga.gov or at his campaign page (Contact Us | Kasim Reed for Mayor)

This is the time to do it, as 2013 is an election year. And elected officials are surprisingly much more receptive when they remember that we, you know, vote.

A short message will do just fine. Some folks in the know have told me that the more the public speaks up on this particular issue, the more quickly it will happen. In fact, I'd argue that this is THE easiest project to do on the entire list in the OP of this thread, since the park space already exists. The problem is that there's a darn fence all around it!

Some talking points (if you need them):
  • Historically, the Waterworks was *intended* to have publicly accessible greenspace all around it. We're talking about a 100 years ago. (Atlanta Water Works) It was open until the 1996 Olympics, when federal security concerns over the water supply forced the city to put up (ugly) fences all around the reservoirs. As far as I know, the east reservoir isn't even treated or intended to be used as a water supply. There's no reason that the fences couldn't be moved in closer, as other cities have done (e.g. NYC central park, which is probably a much bigger security hazard than Atlanta).
  • With all the talk of budget tightening, why on earth aren't we jumping on the chance to restore an already existing park? It's probably the most cost-efficient parks project the city has in front of it at the moment.
So please, just to reinterate to all of us fine City-Data folks: please send a short message to Reed and your council members on this one. It's a project we can actually make happen if we show there's citizen demand for it.
Great post--thanks! Good to know. Water Works Park has so much potential.

I already "liked" the facebook page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta