Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 07:38 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any information on Parcel D and F?

http://www.buckhead-atl.com/siteplan.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 07:31 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
http://www.srsre.com/uploads/1363283..._Marketing.pdf

Krog St Market

Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,824 times
Mobile Improv - Curbed Atlanta I suppose this means the 285 Elizabeth St development is a sure thing.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,701,182 times
cqholt
I just noticed your post of 1/8/13. In it you said that Atlanta has been annexing land southwestward every year.
I try to follow these sort of things & can't find any evidence to support that any annexations took place, unless they were a small parcel of land here & there. Can you fill me in on what you were talking about? I wish that it were true but it seems that the incorporated area of the city proper has been at 132 square miles for a few decades.
Basically, and by extension very sadly, the City of Atlanta last had an annexation of note in 1952 called the Buckhead Plan of Improvement. At that time, the city limits were enlarged tremendously, not only to the north but also to the southwest.
Since then there has been great fear by some neighboring counties that Atlanta would try to annex into their areas. One example to fight that possibility was the incorporation in the 1960's of the town of Chattahoochee Plantation on the Cobb County side of the Chattahoochee River. Nobody ever lived in the narrow but miles long stretch of land but it served it's purpose which was to block Atlanta from jumping across the river...as if they ever would have or could have, considering how the laws on annexation in Georgia are very stoneaged & anti-city in nature.
Perhaps this is a topic for another thread but I really am curious about the annexation claim made on 1/8/13.
Thanks!

Old 04-16-2013, 01:00 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
cqholt
I just noticed your post of 1/8/13. In it you said that Atlanta has been annexing land southwestward every year.
I try to follow these sort of things & can't find any evidence to support that any annexations took place, unless they were a small parcel of land here & there. Can you fill me in on what you were talking about? I wish that it were true but it seems that the incorporated area of the city proper has been at 132 square miles for a few decades.
Basically, and by extension very sadly, the City of Atlanta last had an annexation of note in 1952 called the Buckhead Plan of Improvement. At that time, the city limits were enlarged tremendously, not only to the north but also to the southwest.
Since then there has been great fear by some neighboring counties that Atlanta would try to annex into their areas. One example to fight that possibility was the incorporation in the 1960's of the town of Chattahoochee Plantation on the Cobb County side of the Chattahoochee River. Nobody ever lived in the narrow but miles long stretch of land but it served it's purpose which was to block Atlanta from jumping across the river...as if they ever would have or could have, considering how the laws on annexation in Georgia are very stoneaged & anti-city in nature.
Perhaps this is a topic for another thread but I really am curious about the annexation claim made on 1/8/13.
Thanks!
GIS Image/ Map Catalog See the annexation map.
City of Atlanta GIS - Annexations Annexation information. Hasn't been many square miles, but there is annexation.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 AM

Yes, I see from your linked source that there have been small annexations periodically of a parcel or two here & there & a few with a decent acreage. One in 2007 actually brought in 264 new residents.
Then on the 2nd or 3rd page of the records, it goes "historical" and shows annexations going way on back which is interesting to see.
Unfortunately there have been no big chunks of land added since that 1952 annexation I mentioned yesterday.
I always thought that it as a mistake that in 1952 more land north of the city was not added, such as the large area that was then low in population but now makes up the city of Sandy Springs. There are some 100,000 or so residents in that area today.
Much of the eastern border of the city bumps up against or into unincorporated portions of Dekalb County & they would probably not take kindly to being considered for annexation into the Atlanta city limits so it appears that the only really open area that does not abut against other incorporated places is to the southwest.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Yes, I see from your linked source that there have been small annexations periodically of a parcel or two here & there & a few with a decent acreage. One in 2007 actually brought in 264 new residents.
Then on the 2nd or 3rd page of the records, it goes "historical" and shows annexations going way on back which is interesting to see.
Unfortunately there have been no big chunks of land added since that 1952 annexation I mentioned yesterday.
I always thought that it as a mistake that in 1952 more land north of the city was not added, such as the large area that was then low in population but now makes up the city of Sandy Springs. There are some 100,000 or so residents in that area today.
Much of the eastern border of the city bumps up against or into unincorporated portions of Dekalb County & they would probably not take kindly to being considered for annexation into the Atlanta city limits so it appears that the only really open area that does not abut against other incorporated places is to the southwest.
Idk, unincorported Druid Hills floated the idea recently, during the cityhood era of DeKalb County.
It appears that some parcels of unincorporated DeKalb County have been annexed into Atlanta, but by the owner's request.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 AM

I noticed some of those DeKalb parcels in the records at your link. At least one was said to be partially in the city already while the rest was in unincorpoarated DeKalb. That would be the result of the county line in that area being a straight north to south line that cuts across streets that were laid out subsequently.
Interestingly enough, over 30 years ago I lived in a house in a similar situation on University Drive in northeast Atlanta & the parcel of land was split, as was the house. If we walked into the family room on the east end of the house, we had just left the City of Atlanta. I always chuckled over the notion of going "out of town" every night.
Have you heard more news recently about the cityhood issue in DeKalb? I heard something in the last month but don't recall the nature of it.
Has there ever been an Atlanta annexation thread here? If not, perhaps it's time for such a thread.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I noticed some of those DeKalb parcels in the records at your link. At least one was said to be partially in the city already while the rest was in unincorpoarated DeKalb. That would be the result of the county line in that area being a straight north to south line that cuts across streets that were laid out subsequently.
Interestingly enough, over 30 years ago I lived in a house in a similar situation on University Drive in northeast Atlanta & the parcel of land was split, as was the house. If we walked into the family room on the east end of the house, we had just left the City of Atlanta. I always chuckled over the notion of going "out of town" every night.
Have you heard more news recently about the cityhood issue in DeKalb? I heard something in the last month but don't recall the nature of it.
Has there ever been an Atlanta annexation thread here? If not, perhaps it's time for such a thread.
Cityhood for DeKalb County under study

Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
The city of Atlanta's population wasn't constrained by lack of land. It could have easily absorbed several hundred thousand additional residents.

Sandy Springs wealth may look tempting to COA coffers today but that wasn't the case 60 years ago.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta