Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,148,502 times

Advertisements

Didn't see the quote below in the article. Did I miss that?
Regardless, are we saying that 140 extra calories a day leads to obesity? Or are we saying that there is a correlation between the ppl who OD on soda and also OD'ing on other food and becoming obese? I'm saying soda alone (at 140 calories a day) is not enough to make someone obese. Come on. It's a soda. I would say that Papa Johns, etc. need to be doing the work, not Coca-Cola.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 PM

163 posts, read 431,579 times
Coke is trying to get ahead of the thing, especially when it comes to bans like NYC's. They stress, in that statement, that a can of Coke is only 140 calories.

Clearly, people have to take personal responsibility. In the absence of that, the government gets involved. Coke is dealing with it in the best way it can: emphasizing the 140 calories--to your point, LovelySummer, it's only a problem if you're drinking a few liters a day.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 PM

368 posts, read 539,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Regardless, are we saying that 140 extra calories a day leads to obesity? Or are we saying that there is a correlation between the ppl who OD on soda and also OD'ing on other food and becoming obese? I'm saying soda alone (at 140 calories a day) is not enough to make someone obese. Come on. It's a soda. I would say that Papa Johns, etc. need to be doing the work, not Coca-Cola.
The study (and several other studies) have shown the effect even after controlling for diet. So it's not that children who drink a lot of soda (or Hi-C) are also chowing down on more cheesburgers.

But, your point is well taken - you'll become obese if you have too many calories from any source, whether it's pizza or candy. Just so happens the research shows people who drink sugary soda are more likely to be obese than people who don't, even if everything else (rest of their food intake, exercise, etc) is the same.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,148,502 times
Imagine if the NRA tried to take responsibility for the weapons of destruction that they promote on a daily basis. They need to take a page out of Coca-Cola's book. SMH. Seems the groups that don't need to do anything are falling all over themselves wasting money on stupid stuff and the promoters of devices of death are mum. What's wrong with this picture?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,137,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I know someone who was an engineer for Fresh Express.

I had been amazed by bagged salads and how ingredients from different regions could be brought together, put in a bag, and shipped to my grocery store and still stay fresh for a week, so I asked her how they did it.

It was fascinating. I don't know all the details, but she did tell me that if lettuce isn't refrigerated within 12 hours of being picked, it has to be thrown away. So they transport it on big refrigerated trucks. She also said they have teams of engineers that study each ingredient of each salad and all the bags are different depending on what is inside. They use all different kinds of plastic that are permeable to different gasses at different rates to maxmize how long the salad can stay fresh. Fresh Express also has a big simulated grocery store salad section and they test how long their salad can stay on the shelf and stay fresh.

The reason I bring this up is because I think convenience is the big thing that keeps people from eating healthy foods. Who has the time to go grocery shopping 2 or 3 times a week to keep getting fresh food and make sure you eat it before it goes bad? But Fresh Express kind of figured out how to keep bagged salad fresh for a while longer and make it more convenient, so maybe if this principle was applied to other kinds of fresh foods people would be more inclined to buy and eat them. It's hard to buy something that can't last a week in your refrigerator.
Connected to that and with another thread topic was this bit of research at GSU.

Fresh Research — Georgia State University

Basically a way to keep fruits, vegetables, and flowers fresher longer. What's nice about it is it doesn't use anything genetically engineered (no GMOs ) or pathogens. Hopefully it will be a commercial hit.

But yeah, freshness (and preferably without toxic chemicals) is a must if we want people to eat healthier. It's just that people are busy or lazy and want the conveniently prepared item in the foil wrap that will last a year in the cupboard.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,137,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Yeah, but have you noticed how those soda vending machines have 20 ounce bottles of Coke? That's about 2-servings and about 250 calories total. They want to sell you more so you'll tend to drink more.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,529,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
I was hoping it was climate change. Props to Coke though

Sorry about using a Yahoo news link...

Coca-Cola to address obesity for first time in ads - Yahoo! Finance
Obesity? I drink Coke and Im not a fatty?? Very interesting move by KO.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,529,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
For example, I was at Chipotle the other day and I saw some huge, beastly woman at Chipotle order a salad and brag to her equally fat and disgusting friend that she was on a diet. ?
Why do fat women do that? Ive never understood that whole diet diet diet talk, but they always stay fat for years. That really weird you notice that sort of thing as well.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:38 PM

163 posts, read 431,579 times
To be fair, I think the original comment was along the lines of, "Don't brag about dieting when you're loading on the bacon and cheese." I mean, yeah, that's just stupid, no value judgment implied on her choice of cheesing up the salad. If you're going to eat big, own it--don't proclaim to all and sundry that you're on a diet.

I couldn't care less about some random's culinary choices--if she keeps them to herself. But no one wants to stand next to someone who is intent on proclaiming her business out loud, in the first place, but then, while screaming it out, being a hypocrite. It almost begs for a response of the kind she got.

I also don't care about said person's relationship with food. If she has one, I, the innocent bystander, also don't want to hear about that.

Seriously, eat what you want, but don't feel the need to share it with everyone else in line. We're not talking close friends here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta