Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times

Advertisements

Maybe this time, they can have the election in Novemeber when more people will be at the polls instead of some ridiculous off-time that drew maybe 20% of the registered voters.

gtcorndog: 200,000 people times the thirty seconds the 400 interchange would actually save, is about 69 person-days saved per day. The 17,500 total boardings for the light rail route, could save as many as 72 person-days per day, but probably many, many more since I only ran the time for Lindbergh to Emory and most of the people on this corridor would be coming from other areas. The breakeven point for cost per person-day saved is the transit saving 96 person-days per day. Or for the 17,500 projected boardings, saving about 8 minutes per person. Over the Lindberg to Emory segment only, the projected time savings was about 6 minutes. Easily doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Which, at $500 million would've benefited the 200,000+ people who use that interchange each day. That was a project that made sense.

However when you package it with $700 million going to a light rail route expected to service just 5,300 new MARTA users, people stop supporting the package deal.
Dude, I'm not debating this again with you. You've beaten this subject to death.
If its just Fulton, DeKalb, and Clayton this time, I don't wanna hear anything from you since you won't be voting!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:02 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,352,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Maybe this time, they can have the election in Novemeber when more people will be at the polls instead of some ridiculous off-time that drew maybe 20% of the registered voters.

gtcorndog: 200,000 people times the thirty seconds the 400 interchange would actually save, is about 69 person-days saved per day. The 17,500 total boardings for the light rail route, could save as many as 72 person-days per day, but probably many, many more since I only ran the time for Lindbergh to Emory and most of the people on this corridor would be coming from other areas. The breakeven point for cost per person-day saved is the transit saving 96 person-days per day. Or for the 17,500 projected boardings, saving about 8 minutes per person. Over the Lindberg to Emory segment only, the projected time savings was about 6 minutes. Easily doable.
Where did you come up with the 30 seconds time saving? That seems quite low and unrealistic given how much that entire intersection backs up traffic. I would argue that it is at least 3-5 times that (as a conservative estimate).

Old 02-15-2013, 01:26 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
... 200,000 people times the thirty seconds the 400 interchange would actually save, is about 69 person-days saved per day. The 17,500 total boardings for the light rail route, could save as many as 72 person-days per day, but probably many, many more since I only ran the time for Lindbergh to Emory and most of the people on this corridor would be coming from other areas. The breakeven point for cost per person-day saved is the transit saving 96 person-days per day. Or for the 17,500 projected boardings, saving about 8 minutes per person. Over the Lindberg to Emory segment only, the projected time savings was about 6 minutes. Easily doable.
Valid points. I'll be glad to see the 400 interchange improved as it is an important part of the region. In practical terms, however, it's hard to see how it will have a huge impact on the average person.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:29 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Valid points. I'll be glad to see the 400 interchange improved as it is an important part of the region. In practical terms, however, it's hard to see how it will have a huge impact on the average person.
This interchange is going to be improved regardless, it is the Governor's number one priority. Perimeter Center is an important part of the state's economy and this Governor is very focused on economic development, so this is a priority.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:34 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Perimeter Center is an important part of the state's economy and this Governor is very focused on economic development, so this is a priority.
It sure is. You may have seen my post yesterday on the importance of the Perimeter office market..

Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 PM

402 posts, read 704,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Shocking. The people who were to gain the most were in favor of it.

Do you think this is the reason the surrounding counties voted against it?
Do those residents enjoy all the roads, trains, and other infrastructure in Atlanta that they don't pay for but residents do. YES.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
This interchange is going to be improved regardless, it is the Governor's number one priority. Perimeter Center is an important part of the state's economy and this Governor is very focused on economic development, so this is a priority.
More important than Emory and CDC?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:42 PM

989 posts, read 1,743,257 times
Quote:
I don't disagree, however the perimeter and North Fulton happens to be a part of his political constituency. I'm glad this is done by DOT, so when the tsplost is up for vote we can take it off the list.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:55 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
More important than Emory and CDC?
I would be careful what cards you play.

I'm not arguing against Emory/CDC, but the answer to this question is a HUGE YES.

Perimeter Center has far more jobs, is better connected, Fortune 500 company headquarters, much more office space, high density residential, and has much more growth potential.

Despite being built entirely after the invention of the car, it isn't a little suburban area like you would otherwise want to believe. It is a whole new business district.

To be frank, I'm actually surprised someone brought this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta