Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,553,439 times

Advertisements

Mom upset after officer used Taser on child during fight | www.wsbtv.com

WTF? I didnt know you could use a taser on a 12 year old child at school. I think is very excessive

Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,020,449 times
Sound like the proper use of a Taser. In a confined space on a bus, Probably the lowest force needed to stop them after they were told to stop (Probably several times).

What was the SRO alternative? Hit them with his nightstick? Shoot them? He teased them in 'driving' mode. He held the taser to them and give them a shock. He did not shoot it from x Feet away.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:38 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,026,583 times
Sounds better than using a gun. If you don't like it homeschool the future thug

Old 02-11-2013, 08:49 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,251,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Sound like the proper use of a Taser. In a confined space on a bus, Probably the lowest force needed to stop them after they were told to stop (Probably several times).

What was the SRO alternative? Hit them with his nightstick? Shoot them? He teased them in 'driving' mode. He held the taser to them and give them a shock. He did not shoot it from x Feet away.
Tasers are intended to be used in place of lethal force. If someone can't break up a fight between two 12 year old girls without a weapon they shouldn't be a cop. The officer should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon. I get so sick of hearing stories like this. They'll suspend the cop with pay for a week and issue some crap apology. Tasers can kill! This is absolutely not the lowest force needed.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,071,040 times
It's really hard to judge without seeing the video.

I agree that using a taser, especially on girls, is probably excessive. But you never know what the situation was. Maybe on a crowded bus it seemed like the quickest way to diffuse the situation to make sure that none of the other students on the bus got hurt. Maybe he was afraid he couldn't limit the physical force he used if they were fighting back and was afraid he would break their arms or something. I don't know what the training is, it could be that tasers are indicated in certain situations like this.

I can't really judge without knowing more facts, but I do know this.....I bet kids are a lot less likely to fight if they know they may get the taser if they do!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Tasers are intended to be used in place of lethal force. If someone can't break up a fight between two 12 year old girls without a weapon they shouldn't be a cop. The officer should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon. I get so sick of hearing stories like this. They'll suspend the cop with pay for a week and issue some crap apology. Tasers can kill! This is absolutely not the lowest force needed.
agreed!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,251,681 times
Boy 'Recklessly' Tasered By Police Officer During Career Day, Lawsuit Says This one is bad.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,416,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Lol wow! Tasers are not deadly force. The only person it "may" be lethal on, are those who have an already abnormally accelerated heart rate, due to use of drugs.

Officers are required to be tased in order to carry a taser. If a taser was concidered deadly force, then officers would not be allowed to be tased to carry it. It would become a liability for the city.

What other options would you considered to have been appropiate? The officer to fight with the girls, putting everyone else at a risk near the scuffle? Pepper spray the girls and everyone else inside the bus catch the residual effect...Or yes, the officer could have jumped in and attempted pulling them away from one another. But then that would create an unnecessary risk for the officer to be injured. Tasing the aggressor seemed like the appropriate thing to do. I am sure he warned them several times to stop, or they would be tased. If so, they had the opportunity to stop before facing the consequence. Maybe these kids will learn some discipline and respect.

I am glad you know how to be a police officer though. I am glad you went through the 14 months of training. I am also glad that you are educated on the use of force continuum and about the taser.

So easy to armchair quarterback and judge, yet not have the slightest clue.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Lol wow! Tasers are not deadly force. The only person it "may" be lethal on, are those who have an already abnormally accelerated heart rate, due to use of drugs.

Officers are required to be tased in order to carry a taser. If a taser was concidered deadly force, then officers would not be allowed to be tased to carry it. It would become a liability for the city.

What other options would you considered to have been appropiate? The officer to fight with the girls, putting everyone else at a risk near the scuffle? Pepper spray the girls and everyone else inside the bus catch the residual effect...Or yes, the officer could have jumped in and attempted pulling them away from one another. But then that would create an unnecessary risk for the officer to be injured. Tasing the aggressor seemed like the appropriate thing to do. I am sure he warned them several times to stop, or they would be tased. If so, they had the opportunity to stop before facing the consequence. Maybe these kids will learn some discipline and respect.

I am glad you know how to be a police officer though. I am glad you went through the 14 months of training. I am also glad that you are educated on the use of force continuum and about the taser.

So easy to armchair quarterback and judge, yet not have the slightest clue.
I cant believe what im hearing This is not about officers carrying a taser...this about CHILDREN! Hello? And even with 14 months of experience the cop should be strong enough to handle a child...or he shouldnt be a police officer at all...period. We are talking about a school fight.no weapons involved. Not a prison yard raid...come on!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 AM

557 posts, read 737,858 times
Sounds like they were acting like a bunch of animals and got what they deserved. When a police officer gives you a direction..you comply plain and simple. What should the officer risk getting hurt while jumping in the middle of a fight or spraying pepper spray onto everyone other then the intended target. Good job to the officer. Thug goes to jail. Probably their babies daddy never taught them any respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: