Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 04:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,566 times

Advertisements

Very useful post, however, I already havechecked most of the websites mentioned here (thanks to google). We will be moving from California since my husband would be studying at Georgia Tech. I am looking for
1. Top Elementary school which is also close to Georgia Tech.
2. Names of apartment complexes in the school zone which are affordable for a student's family.

We have absolutely no idea of of Atlanta hence I am having trouble finding answers to my questions. Your help would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:20 AM

115 posts, read 424,445 times
Californians, you should look at Morningside, Springdale Park, Jackson, E. Rivers, and Brandon. None of those are right on top of Georgia Tech, but you could get there fairly easily. All these districts are mostly houses & condos so you are likely to do better with a private rental. If you go to Atlanta Public School's website, you can type in an address and find out the schools assigned to that address. If none of these are affordable (possible), look up the I-75 corridor into E. Cobb County as you will find more apartments, and usually the drive up and down I-75 to just outside I-285 is not too bad. Most of the elementary schools right near Tech are not great. Of those, Centennial is probably the best option, but I have heard mixed reviews.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:40 PM

16,715 posts, read 29,568,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl73 View Post
Californians, you should look at Morningside, Springdale Park, Jackson, E. Rivers, and Brandon. None of those are right on top of Georgia Tech, but you could get there fairly easily. All these districts are mostly houses & condos so you are likely to do better with a private rental. If you go to Atlanta Public School's website, you can type in an address and find out the schools assigned to that address. If none of these are affordable (possible), look up the I-75 corridor into E. Cobb County as you will find more apartments, and usually the drive up and down I-75 to just outside I-285 is not too bad. Most of the elementary schools right near Tech are not great. Of those, Centennial is probably the best option, but I have heard mixed reviews.
yankeegirl73 has given you good recs.

Actually, Springdale Park's district is right next to Georgia Tech--all of Midtown Proper attends Springdale Park (the district's western border is the Downtown Connector--so the "Technology Park" part of GT's campus is actually in the Springdale Park school district).

The rest of the GT Campus (and Home Park, Atlantic Station, Centennial Place, and Howell Station) attend Centennial Place Elementary. This is actually a good school--and many graduate students' children do attend the school.

The neighborhoods north/northwest of Tech (they are very close)--Berkeley Park, Loring Heights, Underwood Hills, the Defoors Rd./Collier Rd. corridor, etc...attend E. Rivers Elementary--a fantastic school. These neighborhoods/areas are very popular with Tech students/people.

The northern part of the Defoors/Bohler Rd. corridor attend Brandon Elementary.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 PM

16,715 posts, read 29,568,171 times
For those of you interested in the schools in the North Atlanta Cluster of the Atlanta Public Schools (Bolton Academy, Garden Hills Elementary, E. Rivers Elementary, Brandon Elementary, Jackson Elementary, Smith Elementary, Sutton Middle, and North Atlanta High School), take a look...

Good links...could be helpful (lots of good things going on...):

NC

Neighborhood Celebration @ North Atlanta

Enjoy!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,686 times
Like many other parents on this thread, I too am needing advice as to Georgia schools. So many are discussing high schools but I have 3 elementary age boys. We are considering Marietta, which I've heard several pros and cons on that area. What are the elementary schools like in that area?

Are there other areas we should consider? We are looking for an area with lots of families, great schools and sports opportunities for the boys.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:24 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,529,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cmom View Post
Like many other parents on this thread, I too am needing advice as to Georgia schools. So many are discussing high schools but I have 3 elementary age boys. We are considering Marietta, which I've heard several pros and cons on that area. What are the elementary schools like in that area?

Are there other areas we should consider? We are looking for an area with lots of families, great schools and sports opportunities for the boys.
You should look at East Cobb which is an unincorporated area of Cobb County....many of the homes here have Marietta mailing addresses. The area is suburban, very family friendly and the schools are generally considered to be on of the best if not the best in the Atlanta area. Roswell is very nice as well. I can recommend some elementary schools if you are interested.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,686 times
Default Thank you!

kaday, I would LOVE elementary school recommendations! Thank you so much!!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:31 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,529,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cmom View Post
kaday, I would LOVE elementary school recommendations! Thank you so much!!
I sent you a direct message!! Best of luck!

Old 09-06-2010, 07:46 AM

461 posts, read 1,069,618 times
Default Decatur Schools

I cannot speak highly enough of the city schools of Decatur. We have been in this system for 4 years now. Decatur is a very small charter IB public school system. The curriculum is amazing, but the thing that has kept us here is the sense of community. So many kids walk or bike to school. Sports and other extra curricular activities are abundant and easy to get involved in. There are so many family activites as well, we just had the Decatur Book Festival this weekend and concerts on the square are every Saturday in September and May. We have great city parks here as well.
I have heard Decatur described as "where Mayberry meets Berkeley" haha. Pretty accurate. PM me if you want to know more. The school district is very small and just because a house is in the 30030 zip code does not necessarily mean it is in the city proper.
Prior to that (kindergarden and first grade), my son went to Morningside, which is in the Virginia Highlands and is also a great school. The middle schools is Inman and high school Grady. You can search those. Morningside is a wonderful area it just wasn't the best fit for us.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:12 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,855,866 times
Default Grant Park Middle and High Schools?

Where do middle and high school aged Grant Park residents attend school? Around what percentage (do you think) of Grant Park residents attend King Middle and Jackson High schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta