Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:40 AM

17 posts, read 73,895 times

Advertisements

Hello Atliens!

I am trying to purchase my first home and I would like some suggestions on safe areas in atlanta. I just graduated college so I'm not looking to break the bank, I need something affordable but also in an area where I am not afraid to walk my dog. I need to have a house w/ an extra bedroom for my home office as well. Any suggestions on areas? I found some homes online using realtor.com but drove down to some of the houses and found them to be pretty sketchy.

HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 12:04 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,419,153 times
Well, in general, you're going to pay more for a better area, so of course some of the lower priced stuff is going to be in sketchy areas. There are two things that anyone here will need to know if you want to get decent recommendations:

- What do you consider "not breaking the banK"? $100k, $200k? $500k?

- Where will you be working? No matter how nice the area and how affordable the home, if you pick a location that doesn't work with your job location, you could be looking at a 2-hour commute. Or, is the "home office" you mentioned your sole place of business?

Old 11-02-2007, 12:48 PM

I'm looking to spend ~250k, I am a partner in a business so would need room to have an office in the house. Other than that, I do coach some children and do choreography as a hobby in gwinnett a few evenings a week but its not something I am overly concerned about as far as commute to and from there.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:04 PM

OK, and are you looking for an urban "intown" environment, or something more suburban? At $250k, you've got plenty of options, though the options in that price range will probably be greater in the suburbs- especially if you want a really safe area, IMO.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:15 PM

I have two giant dogs one of which was bred from a line of protection dogs. So I'm not opposed to living somewhere thats more on the up-and-coming side, but it still needs to be as safe, and where my investment will mature some and make me money. I would love to live somewhere urban, intown- where I can take part in the fun events in the parks and such.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:48 PM

Well, I'm not the best guy to make suggestions since I don't really "get" the whole "live in an up-and-coming area where I need a large dog to avoid having my house robbed" thing, but people are always talking about Grant Park, Inman Park, West End and Kirkwood as up-and-coming intown areas. You may want to check them out, but you may also find that they're some of the "sketchy" places you talked about in your original post.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:19 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,279,299 times
sunnygt, a great many of the intown neighborhoods have YahooGroup mailing lists, most of which you can subscribe to freely. The lists give you the opportunity to get a very true sense of the issues that most directly affect the lives of the neighborhood residents -- particularly crime. Once you start finding neighborhoods you are interested in, I would encourage you to research the mailing lists (you can read archived posts on YahooGroups.

Since you have ties to Gwinnett County activities, you might want to look at some of the neighborhoods on the east side of the city in the area from East Atlanta to Decatur to Tucker. $250k will not go very far in the most intown neighborhoods but can get you quite a reasonably sized house on a good-sized lot in Tucker.

Of course, the most important thing is to drive around different areas and see whether or not you feel comfortable there. No one can judge what environment will make another person comfortable or uncomfortable.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:43 PM

33 posts, read 172,343 times
How do you find these neighborhood groups? Example, I am looking at riverbrooke community, how do I find their group? Thanks

Old 11-02-2007, 07:51 PM

36 posts, read 236,379 times
Sunnygt, Duluth has some nice areas where you will be able to find homes in that price range and even lower, I had a client not too long ago looking in this area and I was very suprised to find this realy nice neighborhoods with very reasonable prices. and its not far from downtown. let me know if I can help

Make It a Great Day!!

Old 11-02-2007, 08:34 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,279,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelingdun View Post
How do you find these neighborhood groups? Example, I am looking at riverbrooke community, how do I find their group? Thanks
Not every neighborhood has one and I would be surprised if they are as common in the suburbs, but most of the popular intown neighborhoods do -- like Midtown, Morningside, Virginia-Highland, East Lake, Kirkwood, Oakhurst, Home Park, etc. Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 ways to track them down online.

1. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/ and search for the name of the neighborhood (check that the results are for the correct city before you join the group since many cities have neighborhoods with the same names).

2. Search Google or your other favorite search engine for the city and neighborhood. If the neighborhood has a web site your search should find it. Most neighborhoods link to their mailing list from their neighborhood web site.

3. Post a topic on a bulletin board like this asking if anyone knows of a list for the neighborhood in question.

Of course, if you're working with an agent who specializes in the neighborhood for which you are seeking information, the chances are pretty good she'll be able to point you in the right direction. Not every agent is terribly internet-savvy but most will know whether or not their neighborhood has a web site, which should direct you to the mailing list if they have one.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta