Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 904 times

Advertisements

Greetings All! my family is from the dc metro area in pg county.. We have 3 school aged children. My job has transferred me to Alpharetta. We are looking for Great schools, access to shopping, malls etc. I have done some research and Sandy Springs or Roswell is where I want to be.

I would like to rent before buy, and am looking for a single family home. I am looking for rent no more than 1100 per month. 3br/2ba. the prices in S.S. and Roswell are a little higher in rent than I am looking to pay..

I have settled on Marietta as a second option. decent commute, great schools, beautiful homes, And a little more in my price range. Is there anything else I should consider with Marietta? is it too far?? I only have a month, please help! lol. Does anyone have any recommendations of cities in fulton or cobb that are within my price range? good schools? and a decent commute to my job without living in Alpharetta?

I was told to look in Gwinnett, but im not as familiar. Lawrenceville and Snellville seem nice, but appear like the drive would be too much to and from Alpharetta. Are there any suggestions on cities in gwinnett based off of what I am looking for?

If you have any suggestions about any other places in decent proximity of Alpharetta that have what we are looking for, please let me know!

1. Budget 800-1100 monthly
2. House
3. Employment Status(commute
4. Children(public school
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?-doesn't matter
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. race doesn't matter.. just nice people!

Last edited by meekmeek; 06-30-2013 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 11:44 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekmeek View Post
Greetings All! my family is from the dc metro area in pg county.. We have 3 school aged children. My job has transferred me to Alpharetta. We are looking for Great schools, access to shopping, malls etc. I have done some research and Sandy Springs or Roswell is where I want to be.

I would like to rent before buy, and am looking for a single family home. I am looking for rent no more than 1100 per month. 3br/2ba. the prices in S.S. and Roswell are a little higher in rent than I am looking to pay..

I have settled on Marietta as a second option. decent commute, great schools, beautiful homes, And a little more in my price range. Is there anything else I should consider with Marietta? is it too far?? I only have a month, please help! lol. Does anyone have any recommendations of cities in fulton or cobb that are within my price range? good schools? and a decent commute to my job without living in Alpharetta?

I was told to look in Gwinnett, but im not as familiar. Lawrenceville and Snellville seem nice, but appear like the drive would be too much to and from Alpharetta. Are there any suggestions on cities in gwinnett based off of what I am looking for?

If you have any suggestions about any other places in decent proximity of Alpharetta that have what we are looking for, please let me know!

1. Budget 800-1100 monthly
2. House
3. Employment Status(commute
4. Children(public school
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?-doesn't matter
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. race doesn't matter.. just nice people!

You may not be able to get a SFH in that price range.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:18 PM

554 posts, read 977,322 times
The price range will hurt. If you spouse works in Alpharetta, you can look at Woodstock or Cumming in addition to Alpharetta, Roswell, East Marietta. All are good areas but as I mentioned budget may be an issue. You will probably have the best chance of staying in budget in Woodstock or Cumming. All areas are suburban, very crowded, family friendly with good schools.
BTW, I live in Woodstock and Work in Alpharetta. I work off hours to avoid traffic. It takes me 30 min on the nose to drive 14 miles. I lived in Nova for a few years, Atlanta traffic is about as bad as Nova / MD traffic. I drove from Herndon to Ft. Meade for a while and also from Herndon to John Hopkins APL in Laurel. Never again!! The Northern suburbs of Atlanta are somewhat like Fairfax county, upscale with good schools but very congested. Forsyth is a bit like Loudon, it is the border from suburban to county.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:20 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Like Atlanta_BD stated, finding a 3BR, 2Ba single-family home to rent in the 800-1100 price range could possibly be a challenge, particularly if you are looking to rent a home that is within a relatively close commute of where you will be working at in Alpharetta.

If you want a good 3BR, 2Ba single-family home within the 800-1100 price range that is close nearby and in a good school district, you might have to maybe settle on something that is a little older or expand your search area to include a much-larger geographical range across the Northern suburbs to areas that may not necessarily be as comfortable of a commute as it would be in North Fulton County.

With an 800-1100 price range, you would likely be well-advised to expand your search to include either an apartment or some of the many Northeastern-style row house townhomes that have and are continuing to go up in North Fulton County relatively very-close to where you will be working at in Alpharetta.

A row house/townhome might not necessarily be the most desirable for you and your family, but you possibly might have better success finding a Northeastern-style row house townhome in that price range much-closer to where you work at than you might at finding a single-family home in that price range in a part of the metro region where the schools are so highly-regarded.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:37 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
To help you with your search, here is a link to an AJC (Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Atlanta's main daily newspaper) HomeFinder search page that has many of the 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom single-family homes that are available for rent within a $500-1100/monthly price range within a 20-mile radius of Alpharetta (this search page also includes some Northeastern-style row house townhomes):
http://homes.ajchomefinder.com/renta...s/rentals-type
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta