Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:09 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,824 times

Advertisements

Braves pitch maglev train to Turner Field - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:23 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,137,275 times
Probably smarter to just build an extension of the HRT from the Georgia State station instead so the train could roll from Five Points and change tracks at GS and all the hardware and support to maintain it is already here.

But at a mile and a half, it'll probably still be over $100 million.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
A one-stop transit line seems silly to me. I think tying into the streetcar / LRT system makes the most sense. But getting Turner a decent transit connection is important. I will have to see more details.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:47 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
A one-stop transit line seems silly to me. I think tying into the streetcar / LRT system makes the most sense. But getting Turner a decent transit connection is important. I will have to see more details.
I'm with you. I'd much rather see us add another planned streetcar line. It could serve neighborhoods instead of just a stadium. I think the same thing could be done if the Falcons go with the north site. I think we should use this as an opportunity to build transit that serves people in several neighborhoods and is useful 365 days a year.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,541 times
Love it.

I am sure if Marta wanted to step up and take on such a project the Braves would be open, but it seems they had to find a private partner to make this happen and open for the 2015 season.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,137,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
That's essentially what Bankhead is. But true, a Turner Field station would only be needed for at least 81 days a year and just for a few hours each day. Unless of course that promised development goes in. Then it could be a part of the Bankhead line. A bit awkward going from Bankhead to Turner then out to Edgewood/Candler Park but at least it would make that line a bit more useful. We've got Bankhead because Maynard Jackson insisted on it as fulfilling a campaign promise he made despite objections over its practicality. Sadly politics can pound that square peg into the round hole.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,774 times
I think this is the same guy who proposed a personal transit system in Fayetteville. This would certainly be a more logical application, but I wonder if it would be worth it. An additional transfer makes it not much better than a bus. And looking at the tracks in the background of the picture, I imagine it would be kind of an eyesore.

In theory, I like the idea of a streetcar serving Turner Field and points beyond, but does that have enough capacity and grade separation to have an advantage over the buses that are currently running?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:28 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
I'd love to see a line running E/W south of I-20, running to the Zoo/Grant Park, Ormewood/Glenwood Park, EAV, Cascade, etc., and connecting to the stadium, at which point it could tie in to the existing E/W MARTA line.

But I'll happily take this one-stop line as proposed. If they build this line, the Turner Field area redevelopment will be expedited.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 AM

477 posts, read 594,280 times
I'm just waiting for some ******* to go on a rant about "boondoggles." You know, because any big idea that costs money is a great opportunity for the anti-transit crowd to use their favorite idiot-rallying cry in authentic frontier gibberish. "Con-frackity rackity! Dag-burn boondoggle!"

Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
Probably smarter to just build an extension of the HRT from the Georgia State station instead so the train could roll from Five Points and change tracks at GS and all the hardware and support to maintain it is already here.

But at a mile and a half, it'll probably still be over $100 million.
There is no room for switches ad elevated tracks from GS station south to Turner Field. GDOT will not allow new overhead tracks to cut thru any freeway interchange, see the plan for proposed I-20 east extension and 400 north extension.
Quote:
I'm with you. I'd much rather see us add another planned streetcar line. It could serve neighborhoods instead of just a stadium. I think the same thing could be done if the Falcons go with the north site. I think we should use this as an opportunity to build transit that serves people in several neighborhoods and is useful 365 days a year.
Extend a streetcar line from the current downtown loop, south along Piedmont/ Capital to Turner Field and go east and/or west along Georgia Ave/ RDA blvd to Grant Park and West End Station. That way the line could save money and use the existing VMF under the connector. https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...30865,0.066047
Quote:
Then it could be a part of the Bankhead line. A bit awkward going from Bankhead to Turner then out to Edgewood/Candler Park but at least it would make that line a bit more useful.
The green line is proposed to be extended east of indian creek as the I-20 east project. MARTA > About Marta > Planning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta