Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillgineer View Post
AMT has been shopping their maglev technology for quite a while. They might be considering doing this line at cost or as a loss leader in hopes of generating future business. It's hard to get anyone to take you seriously when you haven't built anything that they can hop on and ride.
That's a good point and would explain the motivation. But with the involvment of the Spanish company, it sounds like it may be a little more than just a demo line.

Quote:
It's a not very well kept secret in city government circles that Reed is planning to release a new transportation plan after the election. He's waiting until then because it apparently involves a huge property tax increase that he feels will be approved by city voters but would be bad to put forth during an election season. Like all rumors, it should be taken with a grain of salt.
I haven't heard anything about that, but I wouldn't be upset about it either. I would think that a new transport plan would actually be something you want to run on. I understand people don't want more taxes, but I thought the city of Atlanta voted for the TSPLOST, and that wasn't even all for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 04:59 PM

104 posts, read 141,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I haven't heard anything about that, but I wouldn't be upset about it either. I would think that a new transport plan would actually be something you want to run on. I understand people don't want more taxes, but I thought the city of Atlanta voted for the TSPLOST, and that wasn't even all for them.
Reed is running unopposed. He has two or three token opponents but most people couldn't name any of them. Proposing a large property tax increase would surely draw out an opponent that would create debates, advertising spending, etc. which are all things that he'd rather not deal with. Most likely the property tax increase would have to be approved by voters so having it in a off year election would separate it from the mayor and city council trying to keep their jobs. Right now there almost no chance of him not being reelected. Something like this would throw a new variable into the mix.

Also keep in mind that he wants to run for governor in 2018. I think he's delusional to think he'll get elected in this state but he has made the stadium his political identity. If the 2018 Super Bowl were to be held in Atlanta, he would use it as a springboard to launch his campaign for governor. By then his second term would be up so he wouldn't even have to resign to run. Without the stadium, he doesn't have much of anything that the rest of the state cares about. The rest of metro Atlanta has already shown they're not willing to pay for a metro wide transportation system.

Quote:
That's a good point and would explain the motivation. But with the involvment of the Spanish company, it sounds like it may be a little more than just a demo line.
They already have a demo line though as you can see from the video, it might not be really functional. The Spanish company might see this as a way to get their foot in the door since their name would be on the project as much as AMT. They probably could do it on their own but partnering with a local hungry company can smooth the way when it comes to government approvals.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:01 PM

104 posts, read 141,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
That's an interesting "secret" for those of us not in the city government.
Just to be clear, I don't work in city government. I have friends who do and they're the ones who have mentioned it. I've heard it a few times from different sources but for all I know, each of those people heard it from the same place.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:15 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Only $30 million for 1 1/2 miles? Sounds too good to be true.
The Spanish engineering firm could be the key to that. Spain's economy is really in the dumps and they might be desperate for the business.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
I would think that a new transport plan would actually be something you want to run on. I understand people don't want more taxes, but I thought the city of Atlanta voted for the TSPLOST, and that wasn't even all for them.
Quote:
Reed is running unopposed. He has two or three token opponents but most people couldn't name any of them. Proposing a large property tax increase would surely draw out an opponent that would create debates, advertising spending, etc. which are all things that he'd rather not deal with. Most likely the property tax increase would have to be approved by voters so having it in a off year election would separate it from the mayor and city council trying to keep their jobs. Right now there almost no chance of him not being reelected. Something like this would throw a new variable into the mix.

Also keep in mind that he wants to run for governor in 2018. I think he's delusional to think he'll get elected in this state but he has made the stadium his political identity. If the 2018 Super Bowl were to be held in Atlanta, he would use it as a springboard to launch his campaign for governor. By then his second term would be up so he wouldn't even have to resign to run. Without the stadium, he doesn't have much of anything that the rest of the state cares about. The rest of metro Atlanta has already shown they're not willing to pay for a metro wide transportation system.
To add to that, with Reed having designs on running for Governor in 2018, running on a platform to raise taxes for transportation (particularly in the aftermath of the overwhelmingly rejected T-SPLOST referendum) likely would not be received at that well at the statewide level outside of I-285 and could likely morph into something that could be used against him in a statewide election.

I also agree that Reed would likely have difficulty being elected statewide.

That's because Reed (as is any black, liberal Mayor of Atlanta) is an extremely-polarizing figure in the conservative-dominated political and cultural circles outside of I-285.

The conservative white voters who dominate the state's political climate would turnout in record numbers in a statewide general election to vote against the liberal black Atlanta mayor that white conservatives will absolutely *LOVE* to hate.

Kasim Reed represents everything that white conservatives think is wrong with this state and this country and they will gleefully and giddily turnout in record numbers to vote against a political figure that they think is the personification of pure evil.

Reed will also be at a disadvantage in a statewide general election contest because he is likely to face-off against Lt. Governor Casey Cagle, a figure who is extremely popular and well-liked in state politics and who has amassed an overabundance of political power and a wealth of statewide connections during his time in the Lt. Governor's office, an office that traditionally has been used as a springboard into the Governor's office because of the overwhelming amount of political power and connections that can be amassed there (see former Governor Zell Miller who amassed an overwhelming amount of political power and connections for 16 years as Lt. Governor before winning the Governor's office in 1990).

Casey Cagle wanted to run for Governor in 2010 but did not because of medical issues.

Cagle has stated his intentions to run for Governor in 2018, at which time he will have been Lt. Governor for 12 years and will have amassed an amount of power and connections in statewide politics that (with the exception of Zell Miller) likely has not been equaled in the history of the office.

With his fundraising ability, Kasim Reed could likely make a statewide race much more interesting and entertaining than Republicans would like it to be, but just Reed's mere presence in a statewide general election contest (and the record turnout that it would inspire from conservatives) would likely be too much for Reed to overcome in the end.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:21 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,086 times

Old 07-26-2013, 08:27 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Where's Gtcorndog? I can't wait to hear what he has to say about this.
What is the cost and who is paying for it?

If the Braves want it, they should pay for it. There is no way this thing can be pitched as a transportation solution.

Lets say 1/3 of game attendees will take this new train (a high estimate). You get 10,000 per game. 82 games a year = 820,000 riders per year.

Anyone who believes that $30 million price is flat stupid.

I can't see this thing costing less than $100 million, so... pacing the costs out over 30 years (not adjusted for inflation and interest expense) you get $4.16 per rider.

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

But if private industry wants to pay for this, sure let them. If $.01 of tax money goes to this, there should be marches on the Mayor's office.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
True but lets not forget that his biggest achievement to date has been turning around the city fiscally and fighting the unions to do so, which may garner the support of many fiscal conservatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
To add to that, with Reed having designs on running for Governor in 2018, running on a platform to raise taxes for transportation (particularly in the aftermath of the overwhelmingly rejected T-SPLOST referendum) likely would not be received at that well at the statewide level outside of I-285 and could likely morph into something that could be used against him in a statewide election.

That's because Reed (as is any black, liberal Mayor of Atlanta) is an extremely-polarizing figure in the conservative-dominated political and cultural circles outside of I-285.

The conservative white voters who dominate the state's political climate would turnout in record numbers in a statewide general election to vote against the liberal black Atlanta mayor that white conservatives will absolutely *LOVE* to hate.

Kasim Reed represents everything that white conservatives think is wrong with this state and this country and they will gleefully and giddily turnout in record numbers to vote against a political figure that they think is the personification of pure evil.

Reed will also be at a disadvantage in a statewide general election contest because he is likely to face-off against Lt. Governor Casey Cagle, a figure who is extremely popular and well-liked in state politics and who has amassed an overabundance of political power and a wealth of statewide connections during his time in the Lt. Governor's office, an office that traditionally has been used as a springboard into the Governor's office because of the overwhelming amount of political power and connections that can be amassed there (see former Governor Zell Miller who amassed an overwhelming amount of political power and connections for 16 years as Lt. Governor before winning the Governor's office in 1990).

Casey Cagle wanted to run for Governor in 2010 but did not because of medical issues.

Cagle has stated his intentions to run for Governor in 2018, at which time he will have been Lt. Governor for 12 years and will have amassed an amount of power and connections in statewide politics that (with the exception of Zell Miller) likely has not been equaled in the history of the office.

With his fundraising ability, Kasim Reed could likely make a statewide race much more interesting and entertaining than Republicans would like it to be, but just Reed's mere presence in a statewide general election contest (and the record turnout that it would inspire from conservatives) would likely be too much for Reed to overcome in the end.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post

Rather than phrase this as a political ideology issue, which it is, you needlessly throw race into the discussion.

Using race as a crutch is pathetic tactic of the weak minded.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:10 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Well, $30M per mile is kind of high, but not entirely unexpected. Given that the two(?) stations are close together, that inflates the per mile cost a bit since no existing infrastructure can be used unlike light rail. I really hope they don't begin construction until the Falcons boondoggle settles out. Hopefully, the $200M waste will be put on the November ballot, and once that's derailed, serious talks can begin about moving the Braves in closer to downtown, which would abrogate the need for this maglev line. I figure eventually, we'll get the streetcar down toward the Turner Field and Grant Park area, something like in my map here: http://goo.gl/maps/ipNUq
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta