Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:58 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,742,009 times

Advertisements

What is on your list of things that when a visitor comes to Atlanta for the first time, you feel they MUST SEE in order to have really seen Atlanta?

The things that make you say: "You haven't done Atlanta until you've done.........."

The reason behind this thread is that I have a friend in Italy who has a daughter (early 20s) who has NEVER been to the US. She recently came up with the idea that she and a friend are going to come to America and make one huge trip out of it, going coast to coast, visiting as many major cities as they can during some time they will have. I want to say she's planning on being here for about 2 months seeing all the cities she can see. As it stands right now, the only 100% definites are that she KNOWS she wants to visit NYC and will be coming to Atlanta.

I want her to enjoy Atlanta and "have DONE Atlanta" during how ever many days she'll be here. Don't quite know yet. But I do know she may have visited some cities like NYC, Miami, New Orleans, San Fran, LA & Vegas before coming here... What should I take her to do that isn't going to seem like a bore to her?

And no, I'm not just trying to show her that Atlanta "is just a nice place to live..." That's not interesting. She's not searching for a nice place to live, she wants to have a blast in America. I want her to have fun.

Where should I take her, what should I have her do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,500,143 times
Stone Mountain would probably be the most interesting to her.

If she's looking for other cities of interest for her tour, I would highly recommend Chicago.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,997,461 times
Are you talking about daytime-only stuff, or are you interested in all-hours activities? (read: does she drink/go out?)

I would consider three things must-sees for a young European visiting Atlanta:

- Definitely Stone Mountain. That's our slam-dunk tourist attraction and very unique and interesting.

- Sweet Auburn and the MLK House I would also put on the list. Internationally, MLK was one of the most identifiable historical figures in the US and this is something 100% unique to Atlanta.

- Third I would put Piedmont Park on a sunny, weekend day. It's truly a spectacular urban park that compares favorably with many of the best in America. Botanical garden visit is optional.

Other things to fill out a few days:

- I would round this out with exploring some of Atlanta's more interesting districts, especially Little Five Points. The neighborhoods around there are very pleasant to stroll around in.

- The HIGH and the Aquarium are always good choices, depending on what their interests are.

- Got to the top of the Westin for a cocktail at sunset. Best cheap thrill in the city. Don't pay admission to go to the top--tell them you are going to the bar.

- If she wants to go out at night, then head straight to Edgewood Avenue. By far Atlanta's most interesting nightlife cluster at the moment.

- If she has access to a car and is interested in this sort of thing, a drive down Buford Highway would be fascinating. Maybe stop and get some ethnic food that might not be readily available in Italy.

I'd say allow 3-5 days in Atlanta, depending on her overall schedule and the costs of being here (if she has a free place to stay, she'll probably want to spend more time; if she doesn't, less, etc).

I'd also recommend avoiding Greyhound to the biggest extent possible. I've met several European youths in Atlanta who were exploring the country by Greyhound, and that seems to be a pretty miserable way to go about it. This is coming from someone who always explores countries on public transit: Greyhound is worse.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:44 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,861,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Stone Mountain would probably be the most interesting to her.

If she's looking for other cities of interest for her tour, I would highly recommend Chicago.
Yeah, only if she wants to see a Great Lakes city. See below.

What are your 10 "Must Visit" "You haven't been anywhere until you've been there" cities?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Are you talking about daytime-only stuff, or are you interested in all-hours activities? (read: does she drink/go out?)
I was thinking day AND night. You brought up an interesting question, and you know... I honestly don't know (if she drinks). LOL. Last time I've seen her was in 2004 when I left Italy. She was only like 13/14 then. So, I don't really "KNOW" this adult girl except through talking to my friend and his stories of her.
I'm going to assume she does. I know he has told me that she's into piercings and has started getting tattoos now, (and he HATES it, LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I'd also recommend avoiding Greyhound to the biggest extent possible. I've met several European youths in Atlanta who were exploring the country by Greyhound, and that seems to be a pretty miserable way to go about it. This is coming from someone who always explores countries on public transit: Greyhound is worse.
I wouldn't dare let her travel by Greyhound! Planes or trains.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Yeah, only if she wants to see a Great Lakes city. See below.

What are your 10 "Must Visit" "You haven't been anywhere until you've been there" cities?
HEY! That's MY thread I started for this same reason. Lol

On that thread, I was being told that Chicago might be too isolated...

Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,997,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I wouldn't dare let her travel by Greyhound! Planes or trains.
Good. I once met some Germans wandering around Midtown who said they had just arrived on Greyhound from Jacksonville. I mentioned that they could have gone to Savannah and they said, "Oh, yes, we changed buses there but didn't stop and look around."

MAJOR facepalm.

But yeah, Megabus is a lot more comfortable and convenient if they have to take a bus (for instance, Atlanta - Nashville is a logical connection that is hellaciously expensive to fly).

Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,671,834 times
I think the MLK center and the National Civil Rights Museum if it is open. The Coke Museum as well, because as hokey as it is, Coke is an international product.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:34 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,898,856 times
MLK historic district.
Empire State South, mary mac's tearoom, or any other soul food restaurant.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:38 AM

687 posts, read 746,074 times
Take her to the BRAVES!!! (Every visitor we have had over from England has LOVED their Baseball experience)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta