Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,635,041 times

Advertisements

Game-x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:57 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,635,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
My mom and I attempted to start a window treatment and pillow business when I first moved here many years ago. The business was not successful because while the local clients wanted custom pillows and treatments, they wanted them at Wal-Mart prices. In other words, they wanted to pay $40 for custom curtains and only a couple hundred dollars for treatments that cost between $800-$1000. As you know, that doesn't even cover the cost of fabrics.

I'm not saying this to discourage you but really research your potential clientele and try to partner up with some interior decorators. We simply found that when trying to start this kind of business (and others) the people here didn't understand the value for certain things and want to pay low prices for high quality. I spoke to another small business owner here (he makes gorgeous stone and silver jewelry) and he said he had the same problems with people in Atlanta not wanting to pay his prices. He said he made the most money when he traveled to other cities to sell his wares and he would've left Atlanta were it not for the fact that he owned a house here.

Whatever you decide to do make sure that whatever you are selling the people here want it and are willing to pay your prices. In all sincerity, I hope you have more success with your business than what we did. We tried the same business and it just didn't work. Really research your market. I'd say try to market your business in the north suburbs.
You won the war but you didnt win the battle. The real losers are thr people who are scared to start their own business

Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 PM

144 posts, read 187,051 times
A relative of mine suggested that I should try NYC where she lives as I would do much better there compared to Florida. I also thought about Boston, DC and Phily. I use mostly French toile and dupioni fabrics suitable for historical homes. And as you know dupioni don't come cheap, nor does the cities I've mentioned to live and do business in.
But if there are people with money there, they're willing to spend and want my service, I'll give it a shot. I guess I'll have to take a risk.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:14 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,232,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport69 View Post
A relative of mine suggested that I should try NYC where she lives as I would do much better there compared to Florida. I also thought about Boston, DC and Phily. I use mostly French toile and dupioni fabrics suitable for historical homes. And as you know dupioni don't come cheap, nor does the cities I've mentioned to live and do business in.
But if there are people with money there, they're willing to spend and want my service, I'll give it a shot. I guess I'll have to take a risk.
If you are working mostly with Toile de Jouy and dupioni silks, you definitely want to be where your market appreciates that, especially when you have projects that need to go to a work room, and no, that don't come cheap. Also consider it gets very hot here and you know it doesn't take long for dupioni to be destroyed by sunlight because it's so delicate.

Honestly I think New Yorkers may appreciate that more. Just do your research no matter where you decide to go.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:14 AM

23,528 posts, read 44,214,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport69 View Post
The type of business is draperies, and curtains for doors and windows. Pillows and a bit of upholstery for small chairs. Do you guys think it will work out in Atlanta?
I have friends that own an upholstery business here, another a drapery business. Both have more work than they can handle. Most of their work comes through interior design firms.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:59 PM

144 posts, read 187,051 times
Thanks for the advise everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta