Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post

As it's been indicated, your enjoyment of ATL's nightlife scene (which I actually think is pretty great) will depend on the DJs/promoters and not necessarily the venue. So look into the DJs playing at House in the Park and check them out on facebook, twitter, etc. It's a real easy way to stay in the know!
It took me a few years to figure this out about Atlanta scene when I moved back here. I was like is this it? lol. Then I slowly begin to learn about the real events that go on here and I was blown away. Thing is most people will never learn what you just stated and think Atlanta only nightlife is in Midtown and a few other spots. Some cities it is easy to find the good events but In Atlanta you have to search for it. Cities like DC, Miami and Vegas everything is easy to find but in LA, Atlanta, NYC, etc it is harder to find
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
It took me a few years to figure this out about Atlanta scene when I moved back here. I was like is this it? lol. Then I slowly begin to learn about the real events that go on here and I was blown away. Thing is most people will never learn what you just stated and think Atlanta only nightlife is in Midtown and a few other spots. Some cities it is easy to find the good events but In Atlanta you have to search for it. Cities like DC, Miami and Vegas everything is easy to find but in LA, Atlanta, NYC, etc it is harder to find

It took me many years to figure this out as well. I also found out that if you aren't on certain mailings lists, you won't know what's going on. The good stuff isn't in your face here and it makes it hard to enjoy the city if you aren't "in the know.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,932 times
Quote:
Great! Oh and are you going to House in the Park this year?? You should be all over that like white on rice.

As it's been indicated, your enjoyment of ATL's nightlife scene (which I actually think is pretty great) will depend on the DJs/promoters and not necessarily the venue. So look into the DJs playing at House in the Park and check them out on facebook, twitter, etc. It's a real easy way to stay in the know!
I will be working Dragon Con this year will be there on Monday. I'm working the morning shift, but after that my plan is to try my best to make it to the picnic. Yes you are right. I don't care about venue, I care more about the DJ or the music that is being played. I don't care if it's the most posh club in town. If the music is crappy, I ain't goin.'

Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,537 times
Quote:
Mad I won't be in town til Saturday! That combo is beyond epic.
You know they are having a house music day party on Saturday

Old 08-28-2013, 01:55 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,218 times
Quote:
You know they are having a house music day party on Saturday
PM me the deets!

Old 08-31-2013, 11:18 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
Most of DC's festivals are on the National Mall generally on a large flat space generally. Nothing in DC compares to our festivals such as the Atlanta Jazz Festival, Inman Park Festival, Dogwood Festival, Decatur Arts Festivals, etc. Atlanta restaurant scene is more diverse and better than DC. We have better farm to table restaurants and our restaurants scene is way more diverse than DC. DC has better seafood since it is near the Chesapeake Bay. Our restaurants in Decatur, Roswell area, Inman Park, Buford Hwy, etc kills DC food scene. We will pass DC by a mile next year when the restaurants at KSM, PCM and BA opens. Atlanta shopping is better. We have more luxury stores, more outlets, better boutiques, etc. Again we will pass DC by a mile in shopping next year when PCM and BA opens. Don't feel bad because DC has better museums, transit, it is closer to NYC and DC has better jobs . As far as music festivals DC has nothing similar to ours. Unless a poster has lived in both cities at least 3 years they can't give a honest opinion on this topic. They are just giving opinions based on their sensitive feelings.
I think Atlanta has better shopping than DC at the moment, but lets not act like The District doesn't have a booming restaurant scene at the moment

Old 08-31-2013, 11:22 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
I disagree about the nightlife. I think DC has a few more venues but I think Atlanta as more quality variety. My issue with DC nightlife was that nobody dances and have fun except at the ghetto Go Go's. All of the places I went to in DC during my time theire will filled with people just standing around looking at each other. The main thing I hated is all the promoters catered to people between 21-25 so everyone over that age is forced to party with the younger crowd. This also ment that you see the same people all the time. In Atlanta all you have to do is party with a different promoter to see new faces. In DC you can only party either with the ghetto Go Go crowd or with the young professionals that all hang in the same social circles. In Atlanta it is divided up into several subgroups that do not never mix together which is good. The major difference is all of DC nightlife is there and easy to find. In Atlanta outside of the obvious places to party in Atlanta you have to look for the good parties in Atlanta. DC does have a better happy hour scene And bar scene and Atlanta has a better party scene. Buckhead bar district=Georgetown, Adams Morgan=Midtown, U st=Edgewood, etc. Events like Old School Saturday, Mjq, Atl live in the park, wind down Wednesdays, our house music scene, etc cant be found In DC but I did enjoy going to Dream and Vip club back in the day. On the surface DC is better but once you figure out all of the non mainstream stuff locally Atlanta wins easily especially if you are black and over 30
Some would also say DC has the better lounge scene as well. And people here in the DMV treat Happy Hour like a religion LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta