Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,225,471 times

Advertisements

"Two legislators on the MARTA oversight committee have suggested to the transit agency that it do more research on distance-based fares, and employ such a system to raise revenues..."

Distance-based fares for MARTA? | Atlanta Forward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Yes. Distance based fare for the win!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:15 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,136,372 times
My one favorite thing about MARTA is the monthly pass. Nice to be able to buy it and for that month ride all you want, short hop or long haul. I hope that would remain.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,877,908 times
distance based fare could be extremely hard on poorer individuals who can't afford to move closer to their jobs. for example i know people who work at the steak and shake up in alpharetta who live all the way down in east point, for example. they don't do that for sh-ts and giggles— they can't afford to live in alpharetta, and picking up and moving is not a privilege that they have.

the article linked discusses $9 bus fare from cumming to downtown. that may be fine for those that can afford those prices, but what about those that can't? sure, there are reduced fares, but not everybody who would be adversely affected can qualify for those.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:15 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
I'm all for distance based fares, but I just wanted to add it is also a good mechanism to increase ridership and revenue.

It isn't just making expensive for long-hauls, but make it significantly cheaper for people riding the train for 1 or 2 stops or catching the bus down the street to get to the store.

Even though it is more confusing, I prefer what I saw in Singapore. They don't have the European-esque fare zones. They have a touch screen map on their ticket sales kiosk at every station. You touch the station you're going to on the screen and it tells you the price. It isn't just distance based, but demand based.

In other words, it could be made really cheap to travel between doraville station and Chamblee station to encourage more people to use shops at either location (imagine rebuilt town centers in the future; chamblee is already started creating an urban condo neighborhood). However, most people won't pay $2.50 just just to go a short distance and try a new restaurant. They'll probably battle finding on-street parking first.

Make it $0.50 and it all the sudden doesn't seem bad.

However, the premise is prices can be adjusted system-wide to increase ridership and revenue depending on the market.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:48 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
I'm all for distance based fare structure, but those that purchase a monthly pass should be given a break when compared to those that ride it from north springs to the airport during rush hour and take up a seat with their luggage. Ok so luggage has nothing to do with it, but those loyal enough to commute everyday should be given a discount. Taxis offer downtown, midtown, and buckhead to airport rates, so why can't MARTA charge more foe those riding the full length of a line to the airport.
Or implement a plan similar to what has been discussed on the streetcar walking tours.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,877,908 times
i'm only okay with it if like cqholt and mathman said above— if the monthly/weekly/daily passes still work without extra charges, and if there's a cap on how high the toll can go. for example, a $9 toll one way is psychotic, but a $4.50 toll is not *too* bad.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:41 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
distance based fare could be extremely hard on poorer individuals who can't afford to move closer to their jobs. for example i know people who work at the steak and shake up in alpharetta who live all the way down in east point, for example. they don't do that for sh-ts and giggles— they can't afford to live in alpharetta, and picking up and moving is not a privilege that they have.

the article linked discusses $9 bus fare from cumming to downtown. that may be fine for those that can afford those prices, but what about those that can't? sure, there are reduced fares, but not everybody who would be adversely affected can qualify for those.
I disagree. We need to stop paying people to move farther away from their jobs. Use that money to directly help those in need instead. There are even better paying jobs in NYC, shouldn't we subsidize everyone with $4.50 plane tickets to New York so they can take to those jobs? Of course not.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:40 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,631,309 times
Just another way to increase prices

Old 08-23-2013, 06:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Flat rate of $5 for one-way trip to the airport. Taxis cost $40 from Buckhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta