Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 06:49 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't understand the negativity toward Georgia State. I know many people who got their education there and went on to extremely successful careers.
Same here. Their business school has long had a sterling reputation. I remember when I taught there their Art Department faculty was one of the best I had experienced, particularly in the disciplines of Drawing and Jewelry Design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 08:50 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Georgia State students robbed in dorm, suspects in custody - CBS Atlanta News

UPDATE: The students were freshman mind you. GSU gets worse and worse by the year. I really hope their applicant pool takes a hit. Poor misguided souls.
A better update was posted earlier in this thread

Student, former student among 3 suspects arrested for armed... | www.ajc.com

One is a Freshman, another was a former Freshman last year, and the other has no GSU connection. So only one enrolled.

You really like to put the most negative spin you can on GSU, and praising UGA and GT even for the smallest of achievements. Overjoyed by a KSU/SPSU merger because of its deleterious effect on GSU. And your diploma will be from GSU.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:56 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
I don't understand the negativity toward Georgia State. I know many people who got their education there and went on to extremely successful careers.
GSU probably needs to do some PR because there does seem to be a rumor mill working against it. Hate to say it but all the evidence of the negativity seems to be because of its black student base. Schools that are largely white seem to have all the praise heaped on them. And this is all despite GSU's good showing in the the US News rankings and good research funding making GSU a top tier Carnegie Classification university.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times
Quote:
Black people.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Box

382 posts, read 661,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
Black people.
Pretty much. GSU graduates the most black undergrads in the country, continues to do some awesome research, has one of the best business schools, a revered policy program, law school that is close to top 50, a long list of distinguished alum, one of the best African American studies programs in the nation, yet folks still act like GSU is perimeters long lost brother.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
Black people.
You may be right. It's about time for people to get over that.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Pretty much. GSU graduates the most black undergrads in the country, continues to do some awesome research, has one of the best business schools, a revered policy program, law school that is close to top 50, a long list of distinguished alum, one of the best African American studies programs in the nation, yet folks still act like GSU is perimeters long lost brother.
Becuase only two of the things you mentioned are actually true.

do awesome research(they do) and graduates most black undergrads in the country. Do your research.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:57 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
GSU probably needs to do some PR because there does seem to be a rumor mill working against it. Hate to say it but all the evidence of the negativity seems to be because of its black student base. Schools that are largely white seem to have all the praise heaped on them. And this is all despite GSU's good showing in the the US News rankings and good research funding making GSU a top tier Carnegie Classification university.

I'm dying!!! GSU is a third tier school not known even out of Atlanta. They're unranked(U.S. calculated a rank but did not publish it due to its low status) in US News.

Georgia State has lost its footing. That's the issue. It's not a competitive place, and they're paying for it.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Box

382 posts, read 661,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Becuase only two of the things you mentioned are actually true.

do awesome research(they do) and graduates most black undergrads in the country. Do your research.
So GSU's part time MBA program isn't one of the top ranked in the country? So GSU hasn't produced some of the best scholarship, and wasn't home to one of the most renown African-American studies professors in the nation (Dr. Hillard, may he rest in peace) and doesn't advantage over other programs with the Auburn Avenue library being located literally down the block? Are you telling me GSU's Law School doesn't just have one of the lowest tuitions for in state students, but isn't ranked #65 and getting better each year? Are you telling me that the Andrew Young School of Policy Studies isn't ranked, and I quote directly from the website, " 23rd among the top 166 schools in public affairs: 4th in public finance and budgeting, 12th in city management/urban policy, 12th in nonprofit management, 24th in public policy analysis, and 26th in public management administration." Alright then.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
If I'm not mistaken, GSU owns and operates, out west, one of the largest telescope arrays in the country. Check this out. The CHARA Array of Georgia State University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta