Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 09:42 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,989,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
So I was watching this video of uptown Houston and was taken back at how so many people thought Houston was so much bigger than Atlanta, some even saying that uptown Houston rivals Los Angeles, and how its the biggest city in the southern half of the nation from FL to CA, so my question is does Houston's layout of random buildings throughout the city really make the city feel immensely bigger than Atlanta?
I've visited both Atlanta and Houston in the last 6 months. I don't know about "immensely", but Houston did feel bigger to me. To me large parts of Atlanta even within the city limits feel very suburban and plenty of areas are practically rural compared to LA. Some very close to downtown. Houston didn't have that same "rural" feel in the areas that I visited. But then Houston doesn't have a subway either. I think that Houston's downtown is more compact, but I couldn't say which is larger. Atlanta definitely has more going on downtown than Houston. Those tunnels that they have are cool, but they seriously hinder streetlife.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:17 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,868,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
This doesn't make any sense because the people from Augusta hardly get involved into the debates...

Every thread comparing the 2nd tier cities in Georgia, the posters from both Savannah and Columbus usually tend to gang up on Augusta.

The most recent thread(next large Georgia metro) had zero people from Augusta involved until I commented much later on(the majority of comments were from Columbus and Savannah residents).. The same thread also had many people from Savannah saying they were the next great thing..
I really don't have a dog in this fight, I like all the second tier cities in Georgia equally. I wish some of the out of control growth in Atlanta had gone to the other cities. Atlanta could easily have spared a million and let 250k go to Macon, Augusta, Savannah and Columbus (as if the state was a big Risk board and I could move people en masse, lol)..

All that to say I read enough of these 2nd tier metro arguments about 5 or 6 years ago when I first joined CD to last a lifetime so I don't go there that often to see who is saying what. I just remember a couple of Columbus posters sparring with a couple of Augusta posters for pages and pages and pages. A Macon guy got in the middle of it too.

I've never seen a Savannahian get into it tho. They are the one city that would have the right to toot their horn above the others, IMO.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:59 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,914,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The only obsession I see here is the obsession with Nairobi. I've seen my name mentioned like 15 times over the past two pages. If I were irrelevant, then I would be ignored, but I must make y'all feel some kind of way if my name just can't stay out of people's mouths.

For some perspective:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...366.html#stats

I post far more frequently in other forums than I do in this one, yet in a lame attempt to attack me, one poster in particular likes to claim I "live" here, when one can clearly see that I'm nothing but an old friend that likes to visit once in a while.

What it boils down to is that Nairobi isn't welcome in the Atlanta forum when he has something to say that Atlantans don't want to hear. Let's get over our insecurities folks.
You have seen your name 15 times but we have seen u post here over 50 times. U don't come to give helpful advise. U come in to patrol the boards. As your doing now.

Let me go in a check your post history in Houston boards and see if u post there as much as u post here

Old 11-01-2013, 07:48 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,702,009 times
And let's get over what appears to be a leftover sour taste or "axe to grind" that someone has with Atlanta.
Just let it go.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
You have seen your name 15 times but we have seen u post here over 50 times. U don't come to give helpful advise. U come in to patrol the boards. As your doing now.
The only thing you've contributed to this thread is posts that go off topic to complain about me. So who exactly is patrolling who?

Quote:
Let me go in a check your post history in Houston boards and see if u post there as much as u post here
It's right there in that link, genius.

City vs. City: 1901
Texas: 1887
Houston: 1060
General U.S.: 1008
Atlanta: 414

Old 11-01-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I know, right? The city has some lovely neighborhoods. It has crazy good potential, as does Columbus. The reworking of their riverfront was an amazing feat. Who knows what it will lead to?
I've never understood all the negativity I hear about it frequently. I love the landscape and the location, and I agree that it has great potential.

I'm not as familiar with Columbus.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well that's unfortunate. I prefer Houston to Atlanta but could easily live in both and considering that I like urban cities more than suburban cities, I would even prefer these two to Boston. I would love to visit cities that always improve on civics, entertainment, infrastructure, etc.
In my opinion, some of the most exciting cities to be in are those experience drastic growth and change. Also, I've never been the type to completely write off a city. I think it's rather closed-minded to do so.

Life in Houston may not be everyone, but there is something in this city for everyone to enjoy. Anyone who thinks otherwise just didn't explore it enough.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:47 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,396,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I love Augusta.
Augusta: The Columbus of east Georgia!

Old 11-01-2013, 03:08 PM

322 posts, read 587,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Savannahians have nothing to be defensive about. It's the 2nd-best metro (and some would say best city) in Georgia after Atlanta, and the whole world knows it.
Best is an opinion....pretty sure that most would say Atlanta was the best...I think you might be delusional.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:09 PM

322 posts, read 587,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Augusta: The Columbus of east Georgia!
They are similar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta