Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I really think the "getting to the ballpark" aspect of Turner Field is not nearly as bad as some people, Schuerholz included, make it out to be. Gwinnett ticket holders in particular are probably going to have just as difficult of a time getting to the new stadium as they are to the Ted. And with Turner Field, they had an option to park-and-ride, which, for some reason, not many chose to take advantage of. Well, have fun choosing between 285 and 85-south-75-north at that time of the day.
Maybe those golf-cart like trams could run along the top-end and connect to Gwinnett?

Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
What excuses? So you ignore all of the detail on how the team worked with the city and why Turner Field wasn't suitable for the long term, and you focus on an anecdote?

The team made a business decision. The city made a business decision. Why is that so hard to understand and why do people like you always try to predict doom and gloom?
I agree with this statement and its not hard to understand. I do think however that some people take issue with one of the primary reasons (access) stated by the Braves for relocating given the issues with the new location. The Braves got a truckload of public cash plain and simple. It seems as if the Braves are making unrealistic excuses the reasons for the move other than the $$$$.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:58 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I agree with this statement and its not hard to understand. I do think however that some people take issue with one of the primary reasons (access) stated by the Braves for relocating given the issues with the new location. The Braves got a truckload of public cash plain and simple. It seems as if the Braves are making unrealistic excuses the reasons for the move other than the $$$$.
I agree. Turner field (and Fulton Co stadium before it) was a poor location for a stadium, it did not have good access to downtown. And I hope to see the Cumberland area densify and I think the Braves stadium can support that. However Cobb and the Braves have really done a poor job of going about this. Cobb has got to stop playing favorites with businesses and giving Liberty Media $400M in a backroom deal that was decided before it was announced. And the Braves got to stop trying to deny that as a key reason for their move and blaming the rest of the metro and pretending like all their fans live in Cobb.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I agree. Turner field (and Fulton Co stadium before it) was a poor location for a stadium, it did not have good access to downtown. And I hope to see the Cumberland area densify and I think the Braves stadium can support that. However Cobb and the Braves have really done a poor job of going about this. Cobb has got to stop playing favorites with businesses and giving Liberty Media $400M in a backroom deal that was decided before it was announced. And the Braves got to stop trying to deny that as a key reason for their move and blaming the rest of the metro and pretending like all their fans live in Cobb.
Unfortunately, its hard for Cumberland to density without reliable transit connection to exist systems. That doesn't have to be rail-based, but it does need to be grade separated. Cumberland lags behind all other major employment centers(Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, and Perimeter) because it does not have transit connection.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
What excuses? So you ignore all of the detail on how the team worked with the city and why Turner Field wasn't suitable for the long term, and you focus on an anecdote?

The team made a business decision. The city made a business decision. Why is that so hard to understand and why do people like you always try to predict doom and gloom?
I didn't say it wasn't a business decision but the basis of the decision wasn't the city refusing to play ball but the fact that Cobb County wrote a blank check. Short of matching a $400M+ free for all, what would have kept the Braves there? Liberty & the city both did their due diligence. Cobb County did not.

I lived in Vinings and Marietta for several years as well as working in Vinings for years after that. In the better part of a decade, I haven't seen any major road upgrades to the area to handle the traffic despite plenty of home building out that way. $10M for pipeline relocation, pedestrian bridge and piggybacking onto an existing road upgrade will not make getting to the stadium easier than Turner Field.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Unfortunately, its hard for Cumberland to density without reliable transit connection to exist systems. That doesn't have to be rail-based, but it does need to be grade separated. Cumberland lags behind all other major employment centers(Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, and Perimeter) because it does not have transit connection.
That is true. I think this will help Cobb to finally get on board with a true (grade separated) BRT. But we will see. They are going to be hurting a lot financially for the near future, if not longer.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
By the time you grade separate BRT, you might as well have just built LRT or HRT. The only real capital savings are in the lack of an electrical infrastructure, and those savings rapidly disappear with the far greater O&M costs of the buses vs. the trains.

Quote:
The first thing they should do is fix that sorry excuse for a transportation center. Route 10 for instance has to orbit the silly thing TWICE when going northbound. They really should buy a small part of the parking lot of Cumberland mall and put the other side over there and link them with a pedestrian bridge. They should also reroute route 10 to stay on the highway in the HOV lane till Akers Mill road then cut it through the heart of Cumberland rather than meandering around and then schleping down Cobb Parkway to I-75 as it currently does. MARTA route 12 already serves that segment.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
By the time you grade separate BRT, you might as well have just built LRT or HRT. The only real capital savings are in the lack of an electrical infrastructure, and those savings rapidly disappear with the far greater O&M costs of the buses vs. the trains.

The first thing they should do is fix that sorry excuse for a transportation center. Route 10 for instance has to orbit the silly thing TWICE when going northbound. They really should buy a small part of the parking lot of Cumberland mall and put the other side over there and link them with a pedestrian bridge. They should also reroute route 10 to stay on the highway in the HOV lane till Akers Mill road then cut it through the heart of Cumberland rather than meandering around and then schleping down Cobb Parkway to I-75 as it currently does. MARTA route 12 already serves that segment.
Totally agree about BRT, but Cobb voters seem to have an aversion to rail.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:22 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Totally agree about BRT, but Cobb voters seem to have an aversion to rail.
I imagine Cobb would be okay with rail if it took them where they were going.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post

I agree. higher O&M usually makes BRT make less sense for the long run. But politics being what they are, Cobb is going to freak out if anyone up there utters the word "rail transit". I don't think Cobb is going to have enough money spend on any serious transportation for a while anyways. Maybe they can get private funding (Or at least a cut of the already large Braves pot) for that private mag lev line they seemed interested in putting to Turner to connect the new Cobb stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta