Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 04:53 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
But the pictures are pretty, right?

Braves do deserve some credit for trying to make this a nice looking 365-day-a-year mixed-use destination. But poor choices on Cobb's part, this stadium is a dis-service to their residents. Liberty Media should be paying for 100% of the stadium, not 45%. Cobb will have enough costs just paying for the additional wear on their transportation infrastructure and lost tax revenue as companies move offices away.
I don't think that Cobb County necessarily intends to pay most of the cost of improving the transportation infrastructure of the area.

With state-maintained and state-owned roads and right-of-ways like US 41 Cobb Parkway, I-75, I-285 and even the Western & Atlantic railroad running through the area, Cobb County likely intends for most of the cost of improving the transportation infrastructure through the area to fall on the State of Georgia since it will be the state-owned roads (US 41, I-75 and I-285) that will be most-burdened with the additional traffic generated by the baseball games at the new stadium and the surrounding new development around the stadium and throughout the Cumberland/Galleria area.

Quote:
Anyone confirm that the $368M (of the $650M total) that Cobb is (currently) spending is the largest non-transportation tax expenditure by a local government in Georgia history?
I personally can't confirm that figure, but what you say sounds about right as the $368 million (and counting) that Cobb County is spending on the new Braves stadium is most-likely the largest non-transportation related tax expenditure by a local government in Georgia history.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:27 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
What an absolute mess. It will be impossible to get home to Smryna on game days. Getting to Spring RD is terrible now. Often Cobb Parkway is bad. Those who work in those offices across from the where the ball park sits, will mostly need to make left turns out and there are no lights.

What an ill conceived disaster in the making.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
I used to take my wife to work and pick her up from the CBeyond building right across 75 on Windy Ridge from this development. It was a total mess getting to 285 from there on any normal day. There's no way this won't make it a complete nightmare. The infrastructure can't handle the extra traffic. The thing about Turner Field is that for a lot of people, it's a reverse commute. Traffic is heading out, you're heading in to the ballgame. The connector is always screwed, with or without Braves traffic, but there won't be a good way to get to this stadium and avoid traffic.
There's a method to the traffic congestion madness that will come on weeknights after the new Braves stadium opens.

That method to the traffic congestion madness is for traffic congestion to become so bad that Cobb County business and real estate interests will be able to get the state to build the regional high-capacity rail transit lines that Cobb's business and real estate community so desperately wants but must have the state's cooperation to build.

Cobb County's business and real estate community is figuring that after several evening rush hours of total gridlock along the I-285 Top End Perimeter and in and around the area of the I-75/I-285/US 41 Cobb Cloverleaf on Braves weekday game nights that the state will be forced to fund the rail transit lines that Cobb's business and real estate community so desperately wants.

Cobb County's business and real estate interests basically intend to make traffic so bad that the state will have no choice but to build those rail transit lines that are worth multiple billions of dollars in real estate profits in the 21st Century real estate market where direct access to high-capacity transit is most valued by investors.

Cobb County's business and real estate community wants 3 high-capacity rail transit lines constructed in the I-75/US 41 Northwest Corridor so that the value of commercial real estate in Cobb County will rise through the roof and that the Cumberland/Galleria area will be in position to dominate the metro Atlanta commercial real estate market at and beyond the same level that the Midtown, Buckhead and Perimeter Center submarkets currently do with their direct access to MARTA heavy rail transit service by way of Downtown Atlanta (and its lucrative convention and tourism business) and the world-leading Atlanta Airport.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:00 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
yes, you are. There were many articles on the proposed designs solicited by Invest Atlanta early / mid, last year:

Would-be Developers Offer Ideas for Land Adjacent to Turner Field | WABE 90.1 FM
The Other 284 Days - Features - Atlanta Magazine
jsvh, those weren't proposals -- they were simply "ideas" that Invest Atlanta had solicited but never acted upon. Remember, this isn't something that just popped up. The Braves have been there for half a century. And the fact that the lease was coming up for renewal had been known for, oh, 17 years or so.

The interview with Invest Atlanta really sums things up. In short, we'll get around to it on our schedule.

Do you think the city would have said that to Arthur Blank and the Falcons? And if they had, what would have happened?

The Rebecca Burns article is an excellent, if sad, recap of the lost potential in this area.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The Braves didn't want some control, they wanted total control as I recall. They wanted extreme limits on shopping and restaurants to the point where any residential development could not be supported.
Well, the Braves wanted a limit on the number of sports bars, fast food joints and fine dining restaurants in the adjacent development, since they would obviously be competing directly with the amenities in the stadium itself. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

It's pretty common for developers to want to control their developments. If you look at what's happened around the stadium in the past, leaving things in the hands of the city is not exactly reassuring.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Cobb County's business and real estate interests basically intend to make traffic so bad that the state will have no choice but to build those rail transit lines that are worth multiple billions of dollars in real estate profits in the 21st Century real estate market where direct access to high-capacity transit is most valued by investors.

Cobb County's business and real estate community wants 3 high-capacity rail transit lines constructed in the I-75/US 41 Northwest Corridor so that the value of commercial real estate in Cobb County will rise through the roof and that the Cumberland/Galleria area will be in position to dominate the metro Atlanta commercial real estate market at and beyond the same level that the Midtown, Buckhead and Perimeter Center submarkets currently do with their direct access to MARTA heavy rail transit service by way of Downtown Atlanta (and its lucrative convention and tourism business) and the world-leading Atlanta Airport.
B2R, you have mentioned this on a number of occasions. I'm not challenging you at all, because I can understand how that could be the case.

However, is this your personal assessment or have there been specific statements or documents that lead to this conclusion?

Old 05-14-2014, 06:18 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
You don't consider a detailed "idea" for redevelopment put forth by a private developer a proposal?

CoA was trying to work with Liberty Media, but they got offered more tax dollars in Cobb. End of story. Braves would not be going to Cobb without that tax handout.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:23 PM

477 posts, read 594,152 times
Quote:
you don't consider a detailed "idea" for redevelopment put forth by a private developer a proposal?

Coa was trying to work with liberty media, but they got offered more tax dollars in cobb. End of story. Braves would not be going to cobb without that tax handout.
ding ding ding!!!

Old 05-14-2014, 06:30 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, the Braves wanted a limit on the number of sports bars, fast food joints and fine dining restaurants in the adjacent development, since they would obviously be competing directly with the amenities in the stadium itself. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

It's pretty common for developers to want to control their developments. If you look at what's happened around the stadium in the past, leaving things in the hands of the city is not exactly reassuring.
Exactly how is a restaurant going to compete with the stadium? One of major points was also that the places would be closed during games. So again, how exactly is that reasonable? Did liberty media really think people were going to get up in the 5th inning, walk to a restaurant, get food, walk back to the stadium in time for what? The 11th inning? Residential development can not survive on limited services. Even if all the developments were built, if liberty got their way, it would been completely unattractive and largely sat empty. Who wants to live in a place where a corporation dictates when you can go get something to eat? When you can shop?

Old 05-14-2014, 06:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,102 times
Quote:
Exactly how is a restaurant going to compete with the stadium? One of major points was also that the places would be closed during games. So again, how exactly is that reasonable? Did liberty media really think people were going to get up in the 5th inning, walk to a restaurant, get food, walk back to the stadium in time for what? The 11th inning? Residential development can not survive on limited services. Even if all the developments were built, if liberty got their way, it would been completely unattractive and largely sat empty. Who wants to live in a place where a corporation dictates when you can go get something to eat? When you can shop?
They're going to find out if they put in those apartments. Can't imagine wanting to live there unless the place has its own freeway ramps. The people around Turner field are already in rough shape and they have grids of roads leading away. These places are going to be enclosed on 2 sides by freeway and the other two sides by access roads to the stadium. Maybe they have to include season tickets as part of the rent.

Good luck getting a dry cleaner willing to cater to ~200-300 residents. That area is a desert and a stadium will make it worse of one.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Dining at stadiums is a very big deal.

Look at all these places at the Ted.

What to Eat at Turner Field, Home of the Atlanta Braves - Stadium Dining Guides - Eater Atlanta

I'll guarantee that H&F Burgers would not be too happy if the Braves opened a new Flip Burger across the street.

That's typical in every market, from Lenox to PCM to Avalon and Krog Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta