Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:49 AM

749 posts, read 886,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I'd rather have the skyscraper closer to a MARTA station, but the shelter needs to go.
The shelter is just right around the corner from Civic Center station isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 08:53 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
The shelter is just right around the corner from Civic Center station isn't it?
Yeah, its real close. Its absolutley prime real estate on what is almost a no mans land b/t downtown and midtown.

I love the potential that downtown has. I feel like I have seen a pretty significant change just over the course of the past couple of years. What I used to always describe as dead after dark seems quite alive nowadays.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 AM

194 posts, read 317,346 times
Yep, Downtown has yet to bloom. One of the biggest complaints about Atlanta that I read on here from visitors and/or tourists, is "Atlanta is too spread out" or "...there is no Central Business/Entertainment districts". These comments are correct. Most of us natives know where to go and for what, but tourists and conventioneers are trapped in the areas around whatever Hotel they are staying in. I hope this is changing.

Like everyone on here, I would love to see Downtown become THE center of entertainment in Atlanta. Peachtree St. south of Alabama street has great old buildings that could be turned into shops/bars/retail/lofts. Wide sidewalks connecting this area with Underground, Centennial Park, New Ferris wheel, Phillips, Falcons dome, Aquarium, and other big attractions, would expose all the other "nooks and crannies" downtown that most don't see. This, in return, would spread out in each direction with more and more redevelopment.

Be great to see and would benefit everyone.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:15 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
The Chinese are snapping up downtown real estate. This could be huge.

Quote:
It may be more than 8,000 miles away, but CRE investors in Hong Kong really like Downtown Atlanta. (We've also heard they love Gone with the Wind.) So much so, they've already bought 400k SF of property there.

More....What Part of ATL Does Hong Kong Love? - Real Estate Bisnow (ATL)

Old 12-19-2013, 10:20 PM

749 posts, read 886,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Great find, Arjay. Downtown's future continues to look more and more bright. If Paces Properties can pull off the apartment conversion of 250 Piedmont, I think it will signal further residential development into the core.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:03 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
i know the investors in hong kong aren't going to do this, but i would love if we had an urban chinatown. we already have a koreatown, but it's spread all over the place in dekalb and gwinnett.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:16 AM

Chinese cities tend to have clusters of supertalls so maybe they are planning on doing the same thing here.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:48 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
That's an interesting bit about Chinese investor's making a move into buying Atlanta properties.
Last week a friend forwarded me a piece about how the Chinese are doing the very same thing in Detroit.
Hmmm... I wonder if this is happening across the country & is just being discovered by the media?

Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
That's an interesting bit about Chinese investor's making a move into buying Atlanta properties.
Last week a friend forwarded me a piece about how the Chinese are doing the very same thing in Detroit.
Hmmm... I wonder if this is happening across the country & is just being discovered by the media?
immigration from growing parts of the world in east and south asia, latin america and africa could save cities like detroit and make the US so much better. if only our immigration policies weren't so draconian, immigration could put the "pedal to the metal", so to speak, on US development and economic progress nationwide.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
The Chinese have more money than they know what to do with.

If they can scarf up a 93% leased, 32-story trophy tower on the premier street corner in downtown Atlanta for only $11 million they'd be crazy not to do so. The place has to be worth several times that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta