Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 10:07 AM

306 posts, read 657,204 times

Advertisements

I have read that the ATL housing market has experienced phenomenal growth in the last couple of years and is poised to come down. I am from SoCal so not familiar with the ATL market but I am considering it as a place to perhaps move as the cost of living here is becoming prohibitive - home prices in SoCal have doubled in the last 2 years and rents are absolutely skyrocketing out of control. Those that bought pre-2000 have locked in low prices and are fine but those of us who were renters at the time have been absolutely screwed for the last decade.

As a general question, is it possible to get a 1600sqft home in a safe suburban neighborhood like Marietta or Alpharetta in the $250k range? In addition, I am a Software Engineer, are most of the IT jobs in the northern suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 10:29 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
Yes - you can still find a nice home for $250,000 in the northen suburbs but if you are talking about the best schoold districts that will be on the low side or perhaps an older home that needs some updating.

The northen suburbs (specifically Alpharetta) has the highest concentration of IT jobs but there are still plenty of good IT jobs all over the city.

With Atlanta, always safer to find the job first then determine where you want to live. Otherwise you could end up with a horrible commute

Old 12-13-2013, 11:01 AM

thanks, $250,000 still seems like a laughable amount to me Just to give you an example, even in a crappy neighborhood here in the Los Angeles area with average to bad schools you will pay around $450,000 for a 1700-1800 sqft house. In addition the home with come with steep HOA fees of $300/mo. or more, property taxes that will be $500/mo.

In a *nice* neighborhood with *good* schools a good sized home around 2000 sqft is about $800,000-$1 million

Old 12-13-2013, 11:08 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
In a *nice* neighborhood with *good* schools a good sized home around 2000 sqft is about $800,000-$1 million
You will pay that much for a nice home in a good school district in Atlanta proper (of course the houses will be larger though). But some of the suburbs in Atlanta are cheaper. But that also depends too. Not too far from where I work, in Smyrna, GA they have houses for $600k (also pretty big) and there really isn't much interesting in that particular area (it's actually pretty industrial and close to the city dump).

With any metro, it just depends on the area. Just shop around and you'll find something in your budget.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
With any metro, it just depends on the area. Just shop around and you'll find something in your budget.
Arent Alpharetta and Marietta upscale areas close to job centers in IT?

In the Los Angeles metro area you can find cheaper homes, and by cheaper I mean around $350,000-400,000 but they are very far away (1.5+ hr commute to work one way in horrendous traffic).

I am assuming living and working within the northern suburbs should not be so bad in terms of commute.

I could not imagine paying $1 million for a home in ATL when I could buy a home with close proximity to the coast here in Southern California.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:19 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
I have read that the ATL housing market has experienced phenomenal growth in the last couple of years and is poised to come down. I am from SoCal so not familiar with the ATL market but I am considering it as a place to perhaps move as the cost of living here is becoming prohibitive - home prices in SoCal have doubled in the last 2 years and rents are absolutely skyrocketing out of control. Those that bought pre-2000 have locked in low prices and are fine but those of us who were renters at the time have been absolutely screwed for the last decade.

As a general question, is it possible to get a 1600sqft home in a safe suburban neighborhood like Marietta or Alpharetta in the $250k range? In addition, I am a Software Engineer, are most of the IT jobs in the northern suburbs?

Regarding your bolded statement, I think it's the other way around. The market has been stagnant/depressed, up until this year and it's back on the upswing. Perhaps someone other than me who has the facts and figures can tell you definitively. But my take on it is the past year or two has been the best time to buy, as prices and interest rates were low and both are posed to rise.

You can easily find this: "1600sqft home in a safe suburban neighborhood like Marietta or Alpharetta". My friend just closed on one for 208k in a great neigborhood in Alpharetta.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:47 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
$800k-$1MM is a very generous housing budget in Atlanta. Extremely. $400-$500k is a good budget for a big house in the burbs.

Within the City of Atlanta prices get much, much higher to be in a very nice neighborhood. But still nothing like you see in So Cal.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:11 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
To answer the question....

Your information is bad. Atlanta has not experienced phenomenal growth in the past 2 years. What has happened is the bleeding finally stopped, and prices have started to recover. There seemed to be short period of pretty sharp and fast recovery that lasted a few months, but now things have slowed down and things are recovering at a much reduced, but sustainable pace. We're above the bottom of 2010, but still nowhere near the highs of 2007-2008.

While I don't see prices coming down any time soon, I also don't see them rising at a tremendous rate. I see things returning to real estate equilibrium....properties making modest but steady gains year over year.

It can depend heavily on specific location, I'm talking in the metro aggregate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta