Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:08 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,409,945 times

Advertisements

And let me just point out that there has NEVER been a marijuana related death recorded, EVER. And once again this guy's logic is just silly. His whole stance is that oh it's legal now so everyone is going to run and buy it. One of the dumbest views on marijuana i've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:48 PM

7,362 posts, read 6,542,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
And let me just point out that there has NEVER been a marijuana related death recorded, EVER. And once again this guy's logic is just silly. His whole stance is that oh it's legal now so everyone is going to run and buy it. One of the dumbest views on marijuana i've seen.
Windsor man pleads guilty in death of Augusta woman | The Kennebec Journal, Augusta, ME
Prosecutor: High driver killed Bellevue motorcyclist - seattlepi.com

There's two right there, and that's from about 10 seconds of Googling.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:29 PM

730 posts, read 829,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
There have been ZERO deaths linked to marijuana overdoses. Those drivers made the decision to drive impaired, just like the many millions of drivers who choose to drive drunk or choose to drive without a proper amount of sleep.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:34 PM

8,487 posts, read 15,021,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
By this logic, over the counter allergy meds that make you drowsy should also be made illegal because someone might get in their car and drive after popping a few Benadryls. :roll eyes:

If marijuana is decriminalized, it should still continue to be against the law to operate a vehicle while under the influence of it. In other words, it should be treated just like alcohol...and alcohol is something you can most certainly die from just consuming it. Quite easily.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:35 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,431,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Second...having said that cigarettes and alcohol are bad for you...SO WHAT? What does that have to do with medical marijuana or legalizing marijuana? Everyone else is doing it. That's your defense? That stuff kills you so why not let something else kill you? Contrary to what potheads and many advocates would have you believe...it is harmful and it is psychologically addictive.
Marijuana in moderation is less harmful than either alcohol or tobacco. It is also less addictive.

Almost anything can be psychologically addictive. Overeating is probably the worst psychological addiction our country is facing right now. Should we ban food?

Quote:
Smoking causes lung cancer.
You are very confused. Marijuana smoke does NOT cause lung cancer to anywhere near the degree tobacco smoke does. Many studies have already shown that.

The association between marijuana smoking an... [Arch Intern Med. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

Quote:
Nineteen studies met selection criteria. Studies that examined lung cancer risk factors or premalignant changes in the lung found an association of marijuana smoking with increased tar exposure, alveolar macrophage tumoricidal dysfunction, increased oxidative stress, and bronchial mucosal histopathologic abnormalities compared with tobacco smokers or nonsmoking controls. Observational studies of subjects with marijuana exposure failed to demonstrate significant associations between marijuana smoking and lung cancer after adjusting for tobacco use. The primary methodologic deficiencies noted include selection bias, small sample size, limited generalizability, overall young participant age precluding sufficient lag time for lung cancer outcome identification, and lack of adjustment for tobacco smoking.
Even that being the case, as I have already indicated there are healthier ways to consume cannabis than smoking, so using that to argue for its continued criminalization is illogical.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:40 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,633,324 times
Is marijuana really helpful for medical purposes? Why not just use the other forms of treatment?

Old 01-12-2014, 04:45 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,209,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
There's never been a cigarette death either then, right? They're all cancer or pulmonary related maladies, right? All drunk driving deaths are really car crash deaths, right? You are absurd in your thinking if you think there has never been a death related to pot smoking.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:11 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,431,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
nm this debate is pointless. I still cant believe people are still arguing over ****ing weed.
At this point it's just suffering from the inertia problem.

When something has been illegal for a long time it acquires a stigma as something "bad" just because it is illegal. The reasons it was made illegal are not necessarily considered anymore by some.

Weed was made illegal in the 30s because a racist (Harry Anslinger) claimed that it made black men rape white women when they consumed it. This is obviously absurd and would never be considered valid reasoning today. As more people realize that it is not more harmful than substances that are already legal the valid reasons for it being illegal basically go away altogether.

The war on drugs is mainly still an exercise in racism today. I enjoy a good toke after work sometimes. As a relatively affluent white person, I have next to no fear that the police are going to arrest me for that. That is hardly the case for a lower income black person.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
There's never been a cigarette death either then, right? They're all cancer or pulmonary related maladies, right? All drunk driving deaths are really car crash deaths, right? You are absurd in your thinking if you think there has never been a death related to pot smoking.
There has never been a documented case of marijuana overdose. It is nearly impossible to overdose on pot. People die all of the time from alcohol abuse.

Here's another way of looking at it...And I'm going to assume you're a pro-gun person (since you claim to be a "libertarian"). Do guns kill people or do people kill people? Well, did alcohol kill the driver or was the driver killed because he decided to drive intoxicated?

Old 01-12-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Is marijuana really helpful for medical purposes? Why not just use the other forms of treatment?
marijuana is often the best treatment for a lot of diseases. This is especially true for treating soldiers with PTSD. However, since marijuana is illegal in most states, doctors are forced to issue prescriptions for drugs that have suicide listed as a side effect. It is no coincidence that more soldiers are dying from suicide today then they are from battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta