Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:48 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you already have your mind made up judging by your awful assumption.

No diversity or transplants? Lol?
Demographics of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mostly black men? Huh?!

No one is here to convinced of anything when you have already formed ignorant opinions on your own, so just stay where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:17 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie2122 View Post
Congrats, I've always enjoyed visiting Dallas. Good Luck to you!
There is diversity here but it's mostly in the suburbs and not just one suburb so it's hard to sort the single guys from the marries in the burbs.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:19 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
I've wanted to relocate for some time from the DC metro area to ATL, but I was waiting for a position at my salary level to open up. Last week, I was notified that there were several full-time permanent positions at my grade level that recently opened up at my organization's Atlanta regional office. I was quite vocal about wanting to move into a regional position, so my manager made a few calls and now she believes that I will be interested in accepting a transfer to the Atlanta office.

My sister (who is also my best friend) and her husband reside in the Atlanta area, but things aren't going well for them (due to the fact that they do not have stable good paying positions). I make nearly six figures, and I would continue to make the same money in ATL, but I don't want to relocate if my sister and her husband plan on leaving soon, due to the economy.
Since you will likely be making close to six figures, would it be possible for you to buy and/or share a house with your sister and her husband and split the living expenses according to all of your individual incomes so that each of you pays lower living expenses? (...So that your higher income goes even farther than it already was likely going to go in Atlanta and their lower incomes are less burdened.)

Quote:
I've also been thinking about my life and the fact that I'm single. I know that ATL is not a good place for single African American women.
Unfortunately, some (but not necessarily all) of what is said about Atlanta not having the best dating scene for African-American women is true...If you're an African-American woman who is looking for a committed long-term relationship (particularly with an African-American male), Atlanta may not necessarily be the absolute best option for you.

Though, African-American women can have options if they know where to look (hint: in places beyond just the city's notable club scene).

Quote:
Also, ATL doesn't strike me as a diverse city, because it primarily consists of native blacks and whites.
Not true. It most likely may have been true that the population of Atlanta consisted of mainly native blacks and whites about 30 or 40 years ago, it most certainly is not true today as Metro Atlanta has evolved and grown to become one of the nation's most-diverse metropolitan areas.

Metro Atlanta has grown and evolved to become so diverse that it has the state of Georgia poised to become a 'majority-minority' state in which racial and ethnic minorities will make up more than half of Georgia's population within about the next 10-15 years or so.

(...Georgia's racial and ethnic demographics are now remarkably similar to the state of Maryland, with racial and ethnic minorities now making up 45% of the population of the state of Georgia, compared to 46% in the state of Maryland...a number that is up from 1990 when racial and ethnic minorities only made up just under 30% of Georgia's population.)

Metro Atlanta has very-large and fast-growing Hispanic and Asian populations, particularly in Gwinnett County (which with racial minorities making up just under 60% of the once lily-white county's population, Gwinnett County, Georgia is one of the most-diverse counties in the entire U.S. and is like a more-diverse up-and-coming version of Metro D.C.'s Fairfax County in Northern Virginia, where racial and ethnic minorities only make up about 32% of the county's population).

Gwinnett County particularly has a very-large Hispanic population, and an exploding Asian population (the Gwinnett County city of Lilburn is reported to be home to the largest Hindu Temple in the world outside of India).

Metro Atlanta has also been reported to have the largest Caribbean community in the U.S. outside of New York and South Florida (...If I'm correct, Metro Atlanta's Caribbean population just recently surpassed Washington D.C.'s in size).

Quote:
I do however like the idea of living in a substantially lower cost of living area; therefore, I feel like I should jump at the opportunity, but for some reason, I no longer want to. I know it's crazy because I pay so much to live in the DC metro area, but I feel like it's worth it, because the area is far more cosmopolitan than Atlanta.
Atlanta is also showing signs of becoming a very-cosmopolitan city/metro in the long-run, particularly with the exploding international population becoming numerically larger by the day.

The only problem is that honestly, the Atlanta metropolitan area is going through what can only be described as an extreme identity crisis as the Atlanta metro area continues to grow larger and more diverse and the extreme-conservative and ultraconservative suburbanites, exurbanites interests who have traditionally dominated the politics and culture of Metro Atlanta as a whole and the conservative rural interests who have traditionally dominated the politics and culture of the state of Georgia as a whole continue to gradually lose what was once a firm and iron-tight grip on the state's demographics, politics and culture.

Because of the traditional dominance of provincial attitudes in the state of Georgia and in the greater Atlanta metro region, the Atlanta metro area is at-least about 15 years behind or so whatever gains the D.C. area may have made in cosmopolitan culture.

Atlanta is generally most-likely headed in the same direction as D.C. with its urban/cosmopolitan growth and maturation, it'll just be about 15-20 years before Atlanta gets to where D.C. is (particularly in regards to the very-necessary utilization of transit) because of the much more provincial historical background of the Atlanta region.

The most-notable difference between the Atlanta metro region and the D.C. metro region is the acceptance of transit as a necessary mode of transportation in a road infrastructure-challenged region.

While Metro D.C. continues to grow its transit network, Metro Atlanta's transit network has actually shrunken in many respects during an era of extreme population growth and very-little (if any) meaningful expansion of an increasingly maxed-out road network that was already undersized to begin with.

That's probably the biggest and most-glaring difference between Atlanta and D.C. is that if you move to Atlanta, you will find a much lower-availability of transit (both trains and buses), something that will be noticeable particularly if you were accustomed to using transit to get around on a consistent basis.

Quote:
However, in all honesty, the living expenses are getting a little out of control. What would you do, if presented with the same situation? Would you move, or would you stay in the DC metro area?
While your housing costs may likely be lower if you move to Atlanta, something that you will have figure in is the potentially higher cost of keeping a vehicle (higher fuel costs and higher maintenance costs from much more driving), which will have to be figured into your living costs unless you happen to live immediately close to a station on the relatively very-limited MARTA heavy rail system (MARTA's buses are not necessarily what they used to be in decades past, and regional commuter rail service is non-existent in the Atlanta region).

Otherwise, if you can deal with the possibility of likely having to do lots of driving on an inadequate road network in very-heavy traffic, and if you could possibly setup some kind of joint living arrangement with your sister and her husband that relieves some of the financial burdens on their lower incomes while allowing your higher income to go even further than it was likely already going to go (sans driving costs), Atlanta could potentially be a decent option for you.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:09 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Don't do it.

I can tell by reading between the lines in your post that you really don't want to, but you're trying to convince yourself that it makes logical sense. That's a recipe for disaster.

Cost of living alone isn't a good enough reason to pick up and move. Especially to a place where you're not sure your family will stay.

I'd stay put if you're relatively happy where you are. I think you're just waiting for someone to tell you that so you can realize it's what you really want to do.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:08 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,795 times
Do not move to Atlanta solely on cost of living. Atlanta is not DC with cheaper housing, not even close. There are other metropolitan areas across the US with a better job market and comparable cost of living. Atlanta and DC and DMV and the State of Georgia are very different when it comes to politics, culture, influence, and the professional landscape. Even the social experience will be different. After the "newness" wears off, you are probably going to find the day-to-day experience to be polarizing.

As a single woman, I would think long and hard before considering Atlanta the jackpot. Atlanta is a great city in its own right but there are trade-offs when you compare it to the more established metropolitan areas in the country.

FYI - I've had friends who transferred their high salary in Atlanta and for various circumstances lost it and was never able to reclaim it. A "cheap" 450K property can be very expensive when your income is cut in half.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:13 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback.

I am concerned with the dating options in Atlanta --primarily because I tend to prefer non black men and ATL primarily consist of black men.

Are you relocating to another Southern city? Best wishes w/ your upcoming move.
This is (apparently on city-data at least) a common misconception...Atlanta is 32% black, so there is not one iota of truth to the statement "Atlanta primarily consists of black men". LOL!

Both cities have a lot to offer, but the main difference in COL is the cost of housing. If you are making 6 figures then why are you concerned with COL? You can live nicely in DC on a 6-figure income.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:25 PM

18 posts, read 25,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Since you will likely be making close to six figures, would it be possible for you to buy and/or share a house with your sister and her husband and split the living expenses according to all of your individual incomes so that each of you pays lower living expenses? (...So that your higher income goes even farther than it already was likely going to go in Atlanta and their lower incomes are less burdened.)
If I did relocate, I would not be open to sharing living quarters because I enjoy residing in my own space.

Quote:
Unfortunately, some (but not necessarily all) of what is said about Atlanta not having the best dating scene for African-American women is true...If you're an African-American woman who is looking for a committed long-term relationship (particularly with an African-American male), Atlanta may not necessarily be the absolute best option for you.

Though, African-American women can have options if they know where to look (hint: in places beyond just the city's notable club scene).
I abhor nightclubs and other places with very loud rap or pop music. Also, I am not interested in only intermingling with African-Americans/blacks.

Quote:
Not true. It most likely may have been true that the population of Atlanta consisted of mainly native blacks and whites about 30 or 40 years ago, it most certainly is not true today as Metro Atlanta has evolved and grown to become one of the nation's most-diverse metropolitan areas.

Metro Atlanta has grown and evolved to become so diverse that it has the state of Georgia poised to become a 'majority-minority' state in which racial and ethnic minorities will make up more than half of Georgia's population within about the next 10-15 years or so.
Perhaps I should have chosen a different word, besides "native." I was actually referring to those who are born in the South.

Quote:

That's probably the biggest and most-glaring difference between Atlanta and D.C. is that if you move to Atlanta, you will find a much lower-availability of transit (both trains and buses), something that will be noticeable particularly if you were accustomed to using transit to get around on a consistent basis.
While your housing costs may likely be lower if you move to Atlanta, something that you will have figure in is the potentially higher cost of keeping a vehicle (higher fuel costs and higher maintenance costs from much more driving), which will have to be figured into your living costs unless you happen to live immediately close to a station on the relatively very-limited MARTA heavy rail system (MARTA's buses are not necessarily what they used to be in decades past, and regional commuter rail service is non-existent in the Atlanta region).
If I did relocate, I would reside in Midtown Atlanta, since my organization's regional office is situated in the area. I'd use my car primarily for weekend excursions and grocery shopping.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post

Both cities have a lot to offer, but the main difference in COL is the cost of housing. If you are making 6 figures then why are you concerned with COL? You can live nicely in DC on a 6-figure income.
Since I am single (w/out children) and do not own any property at this time, I pay a great deal in taxes. Also, the COL is very high in the good areas of DC, Northern VA and Montgomery County, MD.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post

FYI - I've had friends who transferred their high salary in Atlanta and for various circumstances lost it and was never able to reclaim it. A "cheap" 450K property can be very expensive when your income is cut in half.
I'm very fortunate since I'm in a permanent federal position. If I transferred, I would still remain a "permanent" fed.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:15 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
Agree mostly with this.

One of the main reasons that you wanted to come here is now possibly changing - your family may be moving. Also, you are uncomfortable about the dating scene since you are black and prefer non-black men. I will be honest and tell you I do not see very much interracial dating in Atlanta but that does not mean it is not happening. If you were into black men I would say it seems that you would have a much better chance. However, to each her own and there is absolutely nothing wrong with your preference. Personally, I am a woman and I have never listened to other women who say they cannot find a man (of any race) because I have never had trouble and I've lived in 5-6 major cities in the past 15 years. In my past dating life, I can honestly say that most of those talking/complaining are sitting at the table sulking with their girlfriends while I'm working the room...to be honest. I'm a wife with kid now so those were the good old days. Anyway, women of all races can sit around saying the same thing so I would not let what someone says discourage you from experiencing anything.

However, wait and see what happens with your sister if you would be miserable here if she moves. If you'd still like to be here, then come and experience it for yourself. You can always go back to DC or wherever else you'd like to go. The world is your oyster and you only live once. Who says you have to stay in Atlanta forever if you don't like it.

Oh yes, and the most important advice - pray for discernment and clarity. It is far more important than anything any of us can tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Don't do it.

I can tell by reading between the lines in your post that you really don't want to, but you're trying to convince yourself that it makes logical sense. That's a recipe for disaster.

Cost of living alone isn't a good enough reason to pick up and move. Especially to a place where you're not sure your family will stay.

I'd stay put if you're relatively happy where you are. I think you're just waiting for someone to tell you that so you can realize it's what you really want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta