Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:22 PM

155 posts, read 206,646 times

Advertisements

Mother fights for vicious dog ban in Georgia - CBS Atlanta News As a dog trainer myself. Pitbulls are not a specific breed. the term doesn’t describe a single breed of dog. Depending on whom you ask, it can refer to just a couple of breeds or to as many as five and all mixes of these breeds. Perhaps the most accurate definition of the term “pit bull” refers to just two breeds: the American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and the American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff). My prayers go out to the family of the toddler. Although after reading this article. I gathered a couple of loop holes myself. For one it's a dog attack that happened in the privacy of this young woman's home which raises even more questions and concerns. Being that I grew up with aggressive breeds and don't have a scratch or bite on me. I have several more gathered opinions about this as well but I would like to know you all opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 12:52 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus_Hewitt View Post
Being that I grew up with aggressive breeds and don't have a scratch or bite on me. I have several more gathered opinions about this as well but I would like to know you all opinions.
But you have to wonder if you would have asked this woman a week prior to the death of her son her opinion on the safety of pitbulls, she might have replied
"We've owned a pitbull for 8 years and never once has it shown an aggressive tone at all and is considered a family member to us. They are just lovable dogs and the bad reputation they have is exaggerated"

Old 02-24-2014, 01:46 AM

155 posts, read 206,646 times
Cool Irresponsible owner..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
But you have to wonder if you would have asked this woman a week prior to the death of her son her opinion on the safety of pitbulls, she might have replied
"We've owned a pitbull for 8 years and never once has it shown an aggressive tone at all and is considered a family member to us. They are just lovable dogs and the bad reputation they have is exaggerated"
True..LOL. I dug a little more deeper in her story and realized she didn't properly train or socialize her dog. It's not just pits but all dogs. You have to properly train and socialize them with people and other animals. I feel terribly for the child and his family. I love children alot. I don't know this woman but I am outraged with her.Actually there was a case similar to this where the two adults are now serving time for leaving their two year old unsupervised. I honestly own a pitbull and have owned several other so called aggressive breeds. People say they're aggressive which can be true in which ever aspect you're looking from.Good example of just how pitbulls can be unaggressive is my mother who has a Pomeranian dog. The kids were always getting bit by him. He was just very aggressive towards them..Doesn't like anyone.whereas my big baby was a lovable joy. Of course the kids were hesitant at first with him. As a responsible owner I ensured that I was there to supervise and to correctly socialize him with my nieces and nephews.I have trained her Pomeranian ever since but the kids draw much closer with my dog than hers.. I love my dog. I just don't think it's right to penalize every one for your screw up. If I could show everyone just how pitbulls can be so cuddly and how to properly train and socialize them I think I can change people's whole perspective on them. That's with any dog breed though with irresponsible owners. First thing is to understand that your dog is a dog. Need to establish the PACK LEADER as soon as they're born. The only problem that I have had with my dog and this is my fault cause I had trained him to do this is when he jumps on my bed to lick my face with his doggy breath so early in the morning to wake me up. I sort of regret I trained him to do this but it's all good. I appreciate him doing it though for now..LOL.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:43 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
I have had dogs all my life, My first was a poodle when I was toddler so I learned early on not to pull ears and do things that generally aggravate them. Through the years having different breeds, I have also learned my limitations; my personality is not suited to training aggressive or dominant breeds.

I have sympathy for this lady and this horrific tragedy, but I would never leave a toddler alone in a room with a pit bull no matter how long I had him or how well I thought I trained him.

I do not think pit bulls should be banned, but the owners do need to understand that they've signed up for really getting in there to train them firmly.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:01 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus_Hewitt View Post
True..LOL. I dug a little more deeper in her story and realized she didn't properly train or socialize her dog. It's not just pits but all dogs. You have to properly train and socialize them with people and other animals. I feel terribly for the child and his family. I love children alot. I don't know this woman but I am outraged with her.Actually there was a case similar to this where the two adults are now serving time for leaving their two year old unsupervised. I honestly own a pitbull and have owned several other so called aggressive breeds. People say they're aggressive which can be true in which ever aspect you're looking from.Good example of just how pitbulls can be unaggressive is my mother who has a Pomeranian dog. The kids were always getting bit by him. He was just very aggressive towards them..Doesn't like anyone.whereas my big baby was a lovable joy. Of course the kids were hesitant at first with him. As a responsible owner I ensured that I was there to supervise and to correctly socialize him with my nieces and nephews.I have trained her Pomeranian ever since but the kids draw much closer with my dog than hers.. I love my dog. I just don't think it's right to penalize every one for your screw up. If I could show everyone just how pitbulls can be so cuddly and how to properly train and socialize them I think I can change people's whole perspective on them. That's with any dog breed though with irresponsible owners. First thing is to understand that your dog is a dog. Need to establish the PACK LEADER as soon as they're born. The only problem that I have had with my dog and this is my fault cause I had trained him to do this is when he jumps on my bed to lick my face with his doggy breath so early in the morning to wake me up. I sort of regret I trained him to do this but it's all good. I appreciate him doing it though for now..LOL.
I mostly agree with what you're saying, but @ the bold, that's not going to happen.

It's not that I don't understand that a pit bull can be cuddly; all dogs can be for that matter. It's just that they seem least likely to be so. I did a quick google and although this was not the article I was looking for, it'll do: 2012 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org. Although pit bulls only make up less than 5% of the US dog populations, they were responsible for 61% of fatal attacks in 2012. When stats like that are constantly reported, it's going to be impossible to change the perception.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:23 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times
This. And not only is it going to be impossible to change the perception,the facts don't lie and I'm not sure the perception is incorrect.

The problem with ppl who own dogs like this that can basically kill an adult if the dog wanted to is that people are putting all of their faith in a DOG and the fact that he/she has had what the owner considers proper training. First of all, it is not the best to put this type of thing on faith in a DOG that he will act according to his training. He/she is still just an animal at the end of the day and animals act like, well, animals sometimes - you do not know what your pit will do. You THINK you know. But goodness help us if the owner is wrong.... You won't know until it is too late.

Second, who is tp say what is the proper amt or type of socializing, training type and amt, and it probably varies by the pit. This is all subjective and I think it's not best judgmt to rely on ppl to figure out whether they have gotten it right for this dog or that dog.

Third, most ppl with pit bulls are not getting ANY training fpr their dog so what do you do with that? Idiots with lethal weapons and no training. Oops, wait, is this a gun debate or pitbull debate. Lol.

Anyway, humans are egotistical and they think they have it all figured out with aggressive animals but clearly, some animals are not meant to be kept as pets. I say this bc if you have to socialize and train an animal OUT of his natural propensity to tear a hole in somebody the maybe he's not meant to be in your house in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I mostly agree with what you're saying, but @ the bold, that's not going to happen.

It's not that I don't understand that a pit bull can be cuddly; all dogs can be for that matter. It's just that they seem least likely to be so. I did a quick google and although this was not the article I was looking for, it'll do: 2012 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org. Although pit bulls only make up less than 5% of the US dog populations, they were responsible for 61% of fatal attacks in 2012. When stats like that are constantly reported, it's going to be impossible to change the perception.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:29 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
The problem with ppl who own dogs like this that can basically kill an adult if the dog wanted to is that people are putting all of their faith in a DOG and the fact that he/she has had what the owner considers proper training. First of all, it is not the best to put this type of thing on faith in a DOG that he will act according to his training. He/she is still just an animal at the end of the day and animals act like, well, animals sometimes - you do not know what your pit will do. You THINK you know. But goodness help us if the owner is wrong.... You won't know until it is too late.

Second, who is tp say what is the proper amt or type of socializing, training type and amt, and it probably varies by the pit. This is all subjective and I think it's not best judgmt to rely on ppl to figure out whether they have gotten it right for this dog or that dog.

Third, most ppl with pit bulls are not getting ANY training fpr their dog so what do you do with that? Idiots with lethal weapons and no training. Oops, wait, is this a gun debate or pitbull debate. Lol.

Anyway, humans are egotistical and they think they have it all figured out with aggressive animals but clearly, some animals are not meant to be kept as pets. I say this bc if you have to socialize and train an animal OUT of his natural propensity to tear a hole in somebody the maybe he's not meant to be in your house in the first place.
LS, you and ElleKay both make valid points.

I put 100% of the responsibility on humans. Sadly, many people are simply not up to the task of training a dog and supervising its interactions with humans, especially with vulnerable ones like children.

In my opinion there are differences in breeds. Yet it is a fact that any dog can bite. We have two dogs (Labs) that are known for their gentleness with children and their ability to handle being ridden like ponies or used as bongo drums. However the older one now has hips that hurt and she can't hear as well when someone comes up behind her. If a little one grabbed her from behind she might well snap at him.

So when we had the 3 year old over this weekend I would not let the two of them be alone for one second. Little kids are unpredictable and dogs, even the most gentle ones, are still 99% wolves. If I am physically present the dog is reassured, and I can make sure the child doesn't surprise her. That means being literally being within arm's length at vulnerable times. If you can't or aren't willing to provide that kind of direct and immediate supervision you need to put the players in separate zones.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:56 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
I love pups of all types. The only dog I've ever had a serious problem with was a pit. I had to put her down as she became aggressive with my other dogs and actually bit me when trying to get to my spaniel. And I tout she was the sweetest dog. Sorry folks, they are an aggressive breed and it is more to it than the owner.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:05 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I have a pit bull and I have kids. That said, I have had a yellow lab before, pit mixes, and other random mutts.

The main thing I took from this woman's story was that she left her 2 year old alone with a large dog.

I know people now-a-days consider their pet a "family member" and people call them "fur babies" and think of dogs as their kids, but dogs are not kids, they are not people and IMO are not a family member.

We have our dog because people are scared of him and he keeps people away from our house. I NEVER let my kids be alone with my dog and never let them be alone with any of the dogs we have had. We have a crate in the house and if I am going to the bathroom and the dog is in the house, he goes into his crate, simple as that.

Also, even though people like to pull statistics up in regards to "pit bull" attacks, like a PP stated, many people consider a dog a pitt bull who is not a pitt bull. Practically anytime a dog resembles a pitt, people will call it a pitt bull and label it as such and try to paint a negative view of the breed.

IMO if they want to ban "vicious dogs" then they need to ban chihauhas, they are the only dog I have been bitten by and I hate them. Really they should just ban all dogs, why make a distinction. Chows are vicious as well and I have a high school friend whose son was severely mauled in the face by a cocker spaniel. I actually know no one IRL who has been attacked by a pitt and I grew up with them and know a lot of families with pitt bulls. I saw my best friend attacked and bitten by a German Shepherd when I was a little girl, she had to get rabies shots and everything and it was very traumatic to where I am kind of afraid of German Shepherds to this day so maybe I should start a foundation to ban German Shepherds.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:09 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

IMO if they want to ban "vicious dogs" then they need to ban chihauhas, they are the only dog I have been bitten by and I hate them.
Yep.

Arizona Town Overrun By Packs of Wild Roving Chihuahuas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta