Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 12:16 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I King Memorial is easiest and running streetcar on Memorial is a great idea. Krog will cost too much and will be very congested with BeltLine traffic, also a streetcar line could break off at Cherokee and go south to Grant Park.

Around COP via Baker, close 1 southbound lane on COP Drive and use it for streetcar operation.

Depends on the speed, if using the abandoned RR ROW will speed up the streetcar then use that, if not use DLH.
In theory, it is possible to tunnel the streetcar under Freedom Park and Hulsey Yard in order to create a direct connection to the Inman Park station. Would be kind of expensive though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 12:19 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I King Memorial is easiest and running streetcar on Memorial is a great idea. Krog will cost too much and will be very congested with BeltLine traffic, also a streetcar line could break off at Cherokee and go south to Grant Park.

Around COP via Baker, close 1 southbound lane on COP Drive and use it for streetcar operation.

Depends on the speed, if using the abandoned RR ROW will speed up the streetcar then use that, if not use DLH.
Completely agree with bolded statement. As a Grant Park resident, I've always wondered why the city has never considered running a streetcar either up Cherokee or up Grant St to reconnect the Beltline with the northern half of the neighborhood, as they once were. Currently, there is no north/south bus line either, so a north/south streetcar line through the neighborhood and up to King Memorial could prove very useful to residents and tourists. The alternative will be to head northwest or northeast on the beltline, and then there is still no direct connection to the Memorial corridor.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:45 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times
Is that meeting 0630/6:30am? OR 1830/6:30pm?

If am, had anyone here had a chance to attend the meeting?

Old 06-17-2014, 03:51 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times
Is there a map of what has already been approved and WILL be moving forward to be built? (Not just proposed ideas)

Old 06-17-2014, 04:06 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Is there a map of what has already been approved and WILL be moving forward to be built? (Not just proposed ideas)
No. Nothing else has been set yet, unless I'm missing something.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:08 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
They talked about the eastside trail extension.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:16 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
As someone who owns an investment property in the south downtown Atlanta off Pryor Rd, I can't say I hate the plan. However, as a resident in Cobb, I notice that it doesn't show strong regionalism. That is a problem. In fact, it doesn't even show strong integration of Atlanta. I imagine they are trying to create high ridership by focusing on dense areas, however I think they should coordinate some linkages with outlying counties.

I'm also skeptical that Perry Blvd is as good as Marietta Blvd. I know that the densely packed new Perry Homes development is over there, however once you get up to Hollywood Rd, there's nowhere for it to go really other than over to James Jackson Pkwy.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:33 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
As someone who owns an investment property in the south downtown Atlanta off Pryor Rd, I can't say I hate the plan. However, as a resident in Cobb, I notice that it doesn't show strong regionalism. That is a problem. In fact, it doesn't even show strong integration of Atlanta. I imagine they are trying to create high ridership by focusing on dense areas, however I think they should coordinate some linkages with outlying counties.

I'm also skeptical that Perry Blvd is as good as Marietta Blvd. I know that the densely packed new Perry Homes development is over there, however once you get up to Hollywood Rd, there's nowhere for it to go really other than over to James Jackson Pkwy.
I totally get what you're saying, but shouldn't a regionalized plan be left more to heavy rail or commuter rail? Most streetcar systems have a smaller footprint than their respective metro areas.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:37 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post

Its being funded by the city of Atlanta, the region had a chance to get transit and it was voted down in 2012, so Atlanta is moving forward with its own plan.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times
Couldn't make it. For those who went, what issues and questions were raised? Did the Beltline people give any indication of what their preferred routes are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta