Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:35 AM

17 posts, read 30,026 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Im new to this site! I have been reading into it for a few days now , but finally decided to write a post and hope for some friendly advice. Thanks for all tips and info !!

I am moving from Southern CA to GA. Well---planning to-- for work. I would love as much advice as possible...

There is me, my girlfriend, and daughter. Looking for a change and decided to try out Georgia!!! Am I wrong by doing this? lol

Looking to move South Georgia? (if this is correct... north atlanta?-- sorry not too good with territory) Areas like Chamblee, Brookhaven, Duluth, Roswell, Decatur, and everything in and around these towns.

Whats good? Looking to either buy a house or rent for a few months until we can figure out where we'd really like to buy a house. I want to personally buy a house off the bat because I know mortgage will be cheaper than renting an apartment.

WE are looking for stuff like this... so give me what you think are top cities in Georgia (anywhere):
-Lakes/ponds/river/streams
-good areas to go for a hike/run
-movies/resturants/malls/fun activities
-good communities(socially) with fun activities (bbq's , community crafts/activities, farmers markets, seasonal activities (christmas stuff, 4th of july parties, easter hunts, etc etc etc)
-beautiful scenery- trees, landscape, etc.
- THE GENERAL TO ALL THE ABOVE AND MORE

I will be working around the general location of doraville or stone mountain or about a 20 mile radius depending on what location I transfer to for work-- so anything works

Budget wise: I am not sure at this point whats reasonally in my range so if anyone could also tell me what range I would be in and not paycheck to paycheck I would appreciate that as well. I am coming from CA so the cost of living is pathetic! I will be roughly making ~50k + whatever job my girlfriend finds when we move. Shes looking to do Pholobotomy so that could help with finances if she finds a job at a hospital or doctor office. What do you think my range would be to buy a house (100k? +/-) What about to rent an apartment ? (750 +/-?)

I really do appreciate any and all input for helping us make our move!!

-Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM

any love? lol

come on expert Georgians

Old 02-28-2014, 11:19 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times
Even if it is cheaper to buy, rent first. If you haven't ever spent any amount of time here then you will be flying blind trying to buy a house without knowing the lay of the land.

Prepare for some culture shock.

Where in Doraville will you be working? Is being 90 minutes away from the mountains (hills, really) too far?

Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 AM

True. At this point there are multiple openings in GA all the way from Dalton to Conyers/Stone Mountain/Doraville. So.... with that said I guess my main question is what parts of GA are like what I suggested.. beautiful scenery, great community culture (interaction wit eachother-- idea for meeting new people), has some sort of water- for fishing or canoeing or w.e else you folks do there, etc etc.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:44 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,244 times
For the side of town that Doraville is on, I'd focus on the Buford area to maintain access to outdoor activities in and around Lake Lanier, as well as have a major regional mall nearby.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:48 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
Man, considering your budget and the outdoors and community things you are looking for, sounds like you want a smaller town. Dalton or Rome or Cartersville to the northwest. Jasper, Canton, Dahlonega, Blue Ridge, Monroe, Watkinsville, Madison on the north and east side. Atlanta is not ideal for outdoor activities because of the sprawl and traffic. . .it can be done, but it will be expensive and a hassle. Rome is already ready and waiting w/ rivers and streams and a cute downtown. All best to you!

Old 02-28-2014, 11:48 AM

thanks dj! funny you should mention tht because I was just looking at buford! would someone be willing to discuss some finances with me?.. as per what I would make what could be in my price range?

say I make 50k--- whats my price range for a house? monthly rent for apartment?

anyone willing to compare salaries and rental/mortgage costs/expenses/etc etc?

Old 02-28-2014, 11:57 AM

925 posts, read 1,333,521 times
If you like the ethnic diversity of SoCal, you should stayed near the 85 corridor from chamblee up to duluth. COL is defintly better and you should be able to get 2bd around the 1k range (that is not a dump too!). Not sure about housing since, investor pumpers have prob inflated the prices back up. You should see if you company will fly you down for a few days to check out the area or at worst get a short term lease or see if they will pay for a monthly rental at a residence inn for a couple months.

There are alot of std/urine test centers that your gf can work at too, not just doctors/hospital

For everything else, i think you may be expecting too much (compare to so cal)

Old 02-28-2014, 12:03 PM

ATL Jan thanks a bunch!! I will look into you suggestions. greatly appreciate all the help! Also, are these towns affordable for me and my salary?

Old 02-28-2014, 12:10 PM

kasuga8880--thanks as well. I may take a personal flight in to check the area... i would love to buy a house but realized realistically prob better to rent and get a birds eye view for myself while renting a few months and then make the decision to buy...

as per your comment "expecting too much" --lol I am moving to Georgia for a reason hahha. i heard its the best of both worlds but little cheaper living than CA .. your suppose to encourage me not get my hopes up... lie to me if you have to HAHAHAHAH thanks again for your help as well. and good idea on the gf jobing situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta