Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 AM

477 posts, read 594,152 times

Advertisements

I have always loved the Braves, and I always will. I hate that they're moving to my least favorite area on the planet. I hate that I won't be able to go see them as much. But man oh man, if this proposal actually goes through as planned, what a boon to the neighborhood and the school it would be. All of downtown would feel the ripple effect. I would have preferred the area be developed into a Braves neighborhood (and I would have given them control of the development process AND sold them the land with a density stipulation in the contract), but this will be such a vast improvement over anything the Braves would have come up with. I'm glad Turner Field won't be completely lost, and I LOVE that baseball will be played again on the site of Hank's 715, Sid's slide, Otis Nixon's catch, and the 1995 World Series Championship. I consider it hallowed ground, and have always considered it an embarrassment that our rich history became a damn surface parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 AM

708 posts, read 999,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
And this has what to do with the GSU proposal?
It's had alot to do with the GSU proposal it on the formal Turner Field site and it's just the braves just msiing out on what they could have done with the site.Instead using that 300M for the site in COBB CO. they could've use that 300M for a development similar to this.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
It's had alot to do with the GSU proposal it on the formal Turner Field site and it's just the braves just msiing out on what they could have done with the site.Instead using that 300M for the site in COBB CO. they could've use that 300M for a development similar to this.
But they wanted all the control. The limits the Braves set on the area were ridiculous. It would not have made it a real neighborhood, but an entertainment district, exactly like they are building in Cobb County.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
But they wanted all the control. The limits the Braves set on the area were ridiculous. It would not have made it a real neighborhood, but an entertainment district, exactly like they are building in Cobb County.
It'll probably be far more successful in Cobb. I'm just concerned that Summerhill and other neighborhoods will think a GSU campus will be an extension of their neighborhood which could lead to problems worse than just graffiti.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:24 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It'll probably be far more successful in Cobb. I'm just concerned that Summerhill and other neighborhoods will think a GSU campus will be an extension of their neighborhood which could lead to problems worse than just graffiti.
People really need to stop with saying every area adjacent to Turner Field is a crime ridden s***hole . Grant Park is immediately adjacent to Turner Field neighborhoods, and is one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the city. Summerhill is far from dangerous, and really doesn't have a graffiti problem. I know multiple people who live in Summerhill, and none of them have ever had any problems related to crime. Even though I live in Grant Park, I go to Phoenix II Park on Georgia Ave (2 blocks from Turner Field) often to use the recreation fields because they are less crowded than Grant Park's, and I've never once had a problem. These areas have just as much crime as other place in Atlanta and its suburbs - perception is different from reality.

Yes, Peoplestown, south of Turner Field, has more in the way of crime and gang related issues. But for the most part, unless you are somehow connected to the circle of people involved in gang activity, it is unlikely you will be impacted by it. I'm sure we can all find stories of occasions when this is not the case - random acts of violence or crime. However, I can also find similar stories in neighborhoods in the city AND in the suburbs where random acts of violence have also occasionally occurred - nowhere is immune to it.

Personally, as a resident of the area, I really hope this GSU proposal happens - or something similar. Yes, I'm still a little peeved that the Braves are moving because I like to be able to walk to the games. However, if this happens and retail, restaurants, and grocery stores are seamlessly integrated into the neighborhood where there are now parking lots, that'll be a HUGE win for Summerhill and surrounding neighborhoods. I'll also put my 2 cents in for a movie theatre like in Atlantic Station - that would be the icing on the cake for me

Old 05-12-2014, 09:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Yes, because the Braves ownership and management are still in the suburban mind set.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:16 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
I'm just concerned that Summerhill and other neighborhoods will think a GSU campus will be an extension of their neighborhood which could lead to problems worse than just graffiti.
The GSU Turner Field development will be an extension of the surrounding neighborhoods. It is a keep point in GSU's proposal if you read the PDF. That shows how they will be better neighbors than the Braves. Both GSU and the neighborhood will benefit.

Quote:
It'll probably be far more successful in Cobb.
Define successful.

More fans the first season in Cobb vs Turner? Impossible. The average attendance the first year in Turner was already higher the the max complicity than the Cobb stadium.

Make Liberty Media more money? Probably. How could you not with all those tax handouts.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:45 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
I have always loved the Braves, and I always will. I hate that they're moving to my least favorite area on the planet. I hate that I won't be able to go see them as much. But man oh man, if this proposal actually goes through as planned, what a boon to the neighborhood and the school it would be. All of downtown would feel the ripple effect. I would have preferred the area be developed into a Braves neighborhood (and I would have given them control of the development process AND sold them the land with a density stipulation in the contract), but this will be such a vast improvement over anything the Braves would have come up with. I'm glad Turner Field won't be completely lost, and I LOVE that baseball will be played again on the site of Hank's 715, Sid's slide, Otis Nixon's catch, and the 1995 World Series Championship. I consider it hallowed ground, and have always considered it an embarrassment that our rich history became a damn surface parking lot.
The plan is far from being finalized, but wow would it be cool if at least this part of it happened!

Old 05-12-2014, 01:20 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The GSU Turner Field development will be an extension of the surrounding neighborhoods. It is a keep point in GSU's proposal if you read the PDF. That shows how they will be better neighbors than the Braves. Both GSU and the neighborhood will benefit.
Other than the facility itself, I don't see how GSU benefits from integrating with its surrounding communities. Sounds nice...but that's all.

Quote:
Define successful.

More fans the first season in Cobb vs Turner? Impossible. The average attendance the first year in Turner was already higher the the max complicity than the Cobb stadium.

Make Liberty Media more money? Probably. How could you not with all those tax handouts.
The Braves want an entertainment district, success means profitable and sustainable, Cobb should do it. Same reason White Water and Six Flags are in Cobb.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:18 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Other than the facility itself, I don't see how GSU benefits from integrating with its surrounding communities. Sounds nice...but that's all.

The Braves want an entertainment district, success means profitable and sustainable, Cobb should do it. Same reason White Water and Six Flags are in Cobb.
A few things cross my mind...

1) Whatever goes there needs to have some integration with the neighboring communities
2) There are already students staying/renting in those neighborhoods from GSU. I expect if this is done that will likely increase
3) The school/students will drive demand for a small local retail node the neighborhood wouldn't have without GSU. This can be a good thing for the neighborhood if implemented properly. It can definitely increase land values in the neighborhood as many people demand the local town-like walkable culture + increased off-campus student demand.

Lastly the other poster never argued GSU faces those benefits... he was arguing GSU would be better neighbors and your original post he replied to was out of concern for the neighborhood... not the school. Kind of changing the argument/topic.

I actually agree with you that the Braves will be successful in Cobb. They wouldn't make the investment otherwise. I think they could have been successful downtown too, but they were putting too many demands on the city that were causing ethical gray lines on property redevelopment of city owned land.

My main fear for Cobb is games near rush hour will be bad particularly bad for commuters in the Cumberland area. I'm also a bit concerned on the parking plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta