Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:32 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,962,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Nobody cares what a crosswalk looks like. Why not put the money wasted on this crap toward the trail itself which is actually useful.
I think that's up to the people actually paying for Path 400. And the broad support behind the new rainbow crosswalks at Piedmont & 10th prove that a lot of people care about this 'crap.'

Why does everything have to be so utilitarian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 12:05 PM

2,307 posts, read 3,002,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Two things:
1) For the bolded please refer to my previous comment on how greenways are built. They depend on working with previous infrastructure to limit loss of personal property (and the expense of taking it) and keeping it grade separated

2) For the underlined part. You talk as if it is actually directly along-side the highway. This is not quite the case. Check the plans more carefully. They are building it next to the freeway right of way, but not so much that anyone would feel wind jolts. There is a separation. Now through some of the more urban areas (the buckhead CBD) it will follow alongside surface streets for short distances, like the 1/2 portion along Lenox Rd. The land and existing infrastructure simply does not exist.

I think a small extension to Chastain would be a wonderful addition. It would be more invasive in some of the single-family home neighborhoods to achieve this. Chastain certainly is a jewel, however Buckhead is not full of tons of parks! This is a huge problem for Buckhead. It is also a huge problem for residents of the urban residential areas that do not have yards and grassy areas. There is only a tiny sliver of parkland directly in those areas.

That is why this trail connects Lindbergh, the CBD, and the edge of the Buckhead Village. They are high-density locations lacking in greenspace and parks. It is also areas where local commuters from adjacent neighborhoods can benefit from a friendlier walk/bike to job locations.

Let me simply posit this question: What other location can they use to to connected these areas, maintain grade separation, and connect denser spaces?

The Beltline is using a most unused railbed, which Buckhead does not have for an advantage. Even the Beltline will run into these issues in the Northwest corridor.
Agree and I'm wondering why the new paving on Northside Drive to Northside Parkway does not include a bike path type sidewalk that has a barrier to traffic. That would have connected northwest Buckhead to the belt line via Memorial Park/Bobby Jones golf course. Looks like they are actually removing the existing guardrails between the road and sidewalk in the area near OK Cafe. This area has high pedestrian traffic.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:24 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,317,664 times
I like the first and second crosswalk designs best, which means they'll choose the third one.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:50 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,857,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I think that's up to the people actually paying for Path 400. And the broad support behind the new rainbow crosswalks at Piedmont & 10th prove that a lot of people care about this 'crap.'
Count me among the crap care-abouters.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:50 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,951,166 times
Raleigh and Durham are planning a bikeway connection between their separate greenway systems along I-40.

Bike enthusiasts who work in RTP are excited about zooming past all the cars that grind to a halt daily through this ~7 mile stretch, which is the area's most impressive due to just volume.

Proposed bike lanes along I-40 could reduce congestion, boost economy :: WRAL.com

Old 12-19-2017, 03:20 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,857,518 times
Looks like PATH400 got a couple of nice bumps.

Quote:
Livable Buckhead announced it has reached a major milestone in the development of PATH400, identifying $12.42 million in combined funding from city and federal sources to complete the 5.2-mile greenway in Buckhead, as well as design funding to extend the trail to Sandy Springs.

Atlanta City Council voted to allot $5 million in TSPLOST funding to the project, while the Atlanta Regional Commission included $7.42 million in its transportation improvement program project list that allocates funding from the Federal Highway Administration.

Another $240,000 in Federal Highway funds are slated for design of a PATH400 extension from Loridans Dr. to the Sandy Springs city limit.

More....PATH400 getting $12.42M from city, ARC to complete trail in Buckhead

Old 01-23-2018, 01:17 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,908,213 times
Quote:
A major gateway to PATH400 is to be expanded now that a benefactor has donated a half-acre of land at Mountain Way Park. The park is being developed alongside and beneath Ga. 400, on land that was earmarked as a park on a map that dates to 1938.
Plans for the park call for this portion of Mountain Way Common to be developed as a playground, gathering place for conversing and eating, and is to be equipped with restroom facilities, according to a statement issued by Livable Buckhead, which is developing PATH400.

https://saportareport.com/gateway-pa...ampaign=buffer

Old 01-23-2018, 02:30 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Raleigh and Durham are planning a bikeway connection between their separate greenway systems along I-40.

Bike enthusiasts who work in RTP are excited about zooming past all the cars that grind to a halt daily through this ~7 mile stretch, which is the area's most impressive due to just volume.

Proposed bike lanes along I-40 could reduce congestion, boost economy :: WRAL.com
Wrong forum. Think you meant to post that here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...pel-hill-cary/

Old 01-23-2018, 03:32 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,413,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Perhaps this is a dumb question (I've won several awards for asking dumb questions), but isn't the creek under the roadway? If so, how do they get up on the park over the highway?

Old 01-23-2018, 03:54 PM

1,054 posts, read 924,143 times
The roadway is elevated.

https://goo.gl/maps/zaAzLf3uKYz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta